5.0 out of 5 stars Yes Danielle Steele I Loved This Book
Published on November 7, 2012 by fleet girl

1.0 out of 5 stars DS is up to her old tricks
A few of DS's recent books have been readable and higher concept. But Friends Forever signaled a reversion to thin plots, hastily crafted scenes, and detail overload. Unfortunately, The Sins of the Mother suffers from the same problems.

Published on November 3, 2012 by Alex Ryann

1.0 out of 5 stars DS is up to her old tricks, November 3, 2012

We're given a glimpse into the world of Olivia Greyson...er, Grayson (has DS been watching Revenge?) as she manages a global business called The Factory. She's a workaholic and left the raising of her children to her husband and mother. To win back their affections she indulges them with a luxury vacation every year. It takes ninety pages to get to the South of France, where a world-class yacht waits to transport the Grayson family to Mediteranean hotspots like Portofino and Elba.

An overwhelming number of characters bounces in and out of the sputtering plot. The descriptions of the destinations are disappointing, even mundane, and the dialogue is uninspired ("No more travel plans for August?"). Much of it rephrases what has already been explained in paragraph upon paragraph of narrative. I had a hard time developing an emotional connection to the characters. Liz was too spineless, and how her "allegorical" book will have commercial appeal remains to be explained. (It's ridiculous to think she wouldn't at least know her previous literary agent had died.) Amanda reminded me of Brianna from Betrayal, especially with her ultimatums and luxury label addiction, and Granibelle was a lot like Buster, another character from Betrayal. Olivia's relationship to her grandson, Alex (who is about to enter college but sounds like he's ten years old for much of the trip), had potential, but a more skillful writer could have handled his revelation with more sensitivity and realism.

There was an excessive amount of additional details, from breaking down outfits in nearly every scene to what the characters like to read or the complete history of their family. It's hard to care about these details when you know the character will disappear from the plot for several pages a few sentences later. There are the signature glitches in the writing, such as the overuse of "And." At times, it appears nearly thirty times (!) on one page. And it really becomes irritating. And an editor should catch this.

I would have liked to learn more about The Factory as a business--the problems it faces (beyond strikes), the issue of globalization in manufacturing, etc. It's handled in extremely vague terms, but some corporate intrigue could have added some much needed tension to the plot. I'm looking forward to a DS book that focuses on the experiences of a single strong woman heroine and isn't crowded with characters. The formula of bringing several different people together and waiting for the plot emerge has lost steam.

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get past chapter 3, November 7, 2012
This review is from: The Sins of the Mother: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I've given up on Danielle Steel. This is the 4th book of hers I have waisted money on. So incredibly boring! She explains the main character 10 different times in only 3 chapters! Constant repeating. I don't have the patience for this author anymore

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes Danielle Steele I Loved This Book, November 7, 2012
This review is from: The Sins of the Mother: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I have read all of Danielle Steeles books...and after Hotel Vendome and Friends Forever I was ready to not read any more of her books. I am glad that I gave this one a shot. What happened to me was that I LOVED this entire family. I really loved the older brother Phillip and wanted more of his story. This family has its share of problems. What Ms. Steele did with this story is that she made you loved this family and all of its faults....then root for them at the end. Its a page turner and a story that I wish would have gone on. I would love to see a follow up book maybe called Sins of the Children and keep this family going. Add this book to your bucket list...you will not be disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, February 27, 2013
This review is from: The Sins of the Mother: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I read this book because, frankly, I like Danielle Steele books. The early books. This was too repititious. I understood in the first chapter that Olivia was dedicated to her company. I didnt need it repeated for chapter after chapter. This will be the last Steele book I will read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Yuk!, November 10, 2012
It has been a long time since I read Danielle Steel. I remember liking her books in my late 20s but now in my late 50s I find I have grown but she has not and in fact, I think she has gone backwards. I found myself rolling my eyes and sighing after every character description and literally yearning for someone or something to be unpredictable. When I found myself going "blah, blah, blah" in my head, I deleted the book and took the loss.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Book that Needs Editing, November 10, 2012
While I have greatly enjoyed Danielle Steel's books over the years, this one needs a good editing. The redundancy is so widespread that at times I thought I had lost the page where I was reading and was rereading a previous page.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sins of the mother, February 26, 2013
This review is from: The Sins of the Mother: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
Very well written. It needed more going on. It drug and was slow in spots. Went into detail about things that were not important. I feel I accomplished something by just finishing the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concept!, April 7, 2013
I usually enjoy all of Danielle Steele's books, and this was no exception. It's interesting to see how Steele developed her characters to reflect either the similarities or differences of the children's personalities to that of the main character's and how, despite any differences, blood ended up being thicker than water.

1.0 out of 5 stars Put off Buying yet another book due to repetition, August 4, 2013
Jilly 57 (Las Vegas, NV) - See all my reviews
Please DS if you ever read any of these reviews, CAN'T YOU SEE that we all have the same problem with your books, I do love your books but really dislike reading the same description of the character over and over and over again. It's like you fill the book up and stretch it out with repetition. And because it's hard to buy another DS Book because of all the repetition and you read the same circumstances over and over again,
Because over and over again the same things are said repetitiously about the characters circumstances about several times in the first half of the book, I first started to notice it in the book in Big Girl. I have always loved your work, Read almost every book. But this nonsense has to stop

4.0 out of 5 stars entertaining dysfunctional family drama, November 6, 2012
When Olivia Grayson was eighteen years old she went to work at her widowed mother's local hardware business. She widened the scope and eventually replaced her mom as the CEO of the world wide home products The Factory. Worth billions, Olivia married Joe and had four children with him. While she ignored her kids as they were growing up, Joe and his mom raised them with love.

Now five decades since she joined the Factory, widowed Olivia wants to make amends with her adult offspring and her grandchildren; previous efforts having proven fruitless. With Joe dead from a heart attack and his mom in a nursing home Olivia has no buffer. Olivia arranges a super two-week vacation on a luxury yacht that will sail the Mediterranean. Her two sons (Phillip and John), who work for her look forward to the trip but their wives want out. Her oldest daughter Liz also wants no part of the sailing adventure as anytime she gets together with her mom and siblings, she feels ashamed of what she has done with her life. Finally her other child Cass outright refuses to join the family on any vacation. As the five adults battle their internal demons, the grandchildren enjoy the gala.

The Sins of the Mother is an entertaining dysfunctional family drama starring an ensemble cast that Cecil B. DeMille would be proud of though the exorbitant numbers overwhelm the storyline (keep a scorecard handy to keep score of who's who). Still the insight into the theory that adult is the child makes for an engaging tale as the four offspring customize the error their matriarch made with them in how they relate to others.

Harriet Klausner