Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc blink-182 Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on October 24, 2015
The Sketchnote Handbook has makes writing ideas, taking notes and telling stories pure pleasure and pure flow. The book breaks down techniques to sketch notes quickly and well, depending on the place and context. The non-illustrator will learn skills to craft beautiful type as well as create sets of iconography -- and improve your handwriting to boot!

When I first got the book I carried around with me, even when traveling. It is a thick book, so this was quite a task and just shows how valuable I found it. The Sketchnote Handbook is definitely best in print though, since you will be printing (or maybe using an iPad) to practice your own sketchnoting. Can't recommend it highly enough!

The pic is in my early days, taking notes at a conference.
review image
on December 13, 2012
I've been a doodler my whole life, but had never given much thought to using them for something more than keeping my mind busy while in a meeting.

This book is informative and inspiring all at the same time. Anyone who reads it is going to put it down and want to buy a new notebook and pen and start drawing right away.

I love how the thoughts are direct and stick with you. The entire book IS a Sketchnote so you can't help but be impressed with it the moment you open it up.

You'll read this book in no time, but you'll be earmarking it and going back to read it again and grab tidbits for years to come.
on December 19, 2012
I am an experienced sketchnoter but I am always interested in learning something new. I heard about the Sketchnote Handbook from Mike's blog where he let us take a peek at the process of writing the book. So when the book became available, I was really excited to get it. When my book arrived, I was in awe. This is more than a book, it's an Experience.

The book cover is soft and matte, the pages feel thick, and the rounded corners just top it off. The moleskin look was such a great idea. The inside of the book is just as appealing as the outside. Mike's attention to detail comes through on every page. I love that he included sketchnotes from various people along with their tips and tricks.

The Sketchnote Handbook is a joy to read. This book will guide the beginner through the visual note taking process with ease. At the same time, the experienced sketchnoter will get a fresh perspective on techniques and style. I highly recommend it.
on February 25, 2013
I think the headline says most of it. The reason I wouldn't do the video edition is because the videos are really short (maybe a 2 mins or less for most of them), there aren't many of them and some of them I had viewed on the author's website before purchasing the book. They also repeat what's written in the book.
on December 11, 2012
Mike Rohde has put together an excellent guide for beginner sketchnoters, no art degree required! Pick this up if you find yourself dozing off in meetings, lectures, presentations, or conferences, or you feel overwhelmed by all these cool ideas that disappear the day after the event. Sketchnoting might be what you need to pay attention and remember good stuff.

Here's a one-page visual summary / sketchnote of the book:
[...]

Enjoy!
on January 3, 2013
Two of the last fifty books I've purchased have been physical books, and The Sketchnote Handbook is one of them. This is the kind of book Seth Godin would refer to as a "souvenir" if there ever was one. The book itself is gorgeous; clean, well-designed with thick pages and rounded corners.

I've been a longtime fan of Mike's work, and I had preordered the book. I've seem him take Sketchnotes at conferences, and marveled at how concise and clear the content of his notes were (all the while making beautiful art). The book does a real articulate job of explaining the process he uses to make Sketchnotes.

As Mike states in the book, Sketchnoting is not just about making pretty notes (although Mike's notes are always pretty). It's about distilling information to its core points. Ideas, and not art. The book is essentially one giant Sketchnote itself. While you can breeze through all 200 pages quickly, the information contained within is rich and deep.

Sketchnoting is a highly-personalized practice. Mike showcases a number of other Sketchnoters and their work, and looking at other styles was very helpful and encouraging. Even looking at Mike's first stab at Sketchnoting, and the evolution of his style was really interesting.

Sketchnoting (and art and learning) is a practice, and one that I'd like to improve at. My book is now filled with scribbles as I attempt to become a better Sketchnoter.
VINE VOICEon June 3, 2015
This is a good book not just for the content but also for the design, and both aspects can inspire you if you are fond of using pen and paper (or at least stylus and tablet) to capture what's happening around you. While the concept of a "Sketch Note" seems like something that should not really have a name, the book makes a great case for why visually oriented notes work well. The book contains many examples of notes using the style, and a number of Sketch Notes by practitioners of the craft, including such details as which pens and notebooks they prefer. The book ends with a number of exercises that encourage you to explore your ability to draw using a variety of techniques which make drawing less terrifying that it might be. From the message, to the examples, to the details such as covers with rounded corners (a form that is useful even for those older than "Board Book Age"), you may find this book inspires you to be creative and more attentive when you are taking notes.
on November 3, 2014
All I can say is "Boom."

Full disclosure - I was graciously sent a copy of The Sketchnote Handbook by Mike before he joined me on my podcast. I was really intrigued by the concept, so I went ahead and purchased a copy of The Workbook so they could be friends in my library.

What I ended up with far exceeded my expectations. Look, I'm every bit self-admitted OCD, so the idea of visually organizing my thoughts was compelling enough to pay attention.

The actual process of going through both of these books was far more in depth and balanced than I expected.

Let me break it down this way. It's not an easy marriage to make happen - enough depth to provide context and value beyond surface-level concepts + balancing out with a well-rounded overview of concepts in an approachable manner.

To me, that's exactly what Mike has accomplished here. While The Workbook really dials into the finer details, The Handbook provides an overarching narrative to Sketchnoting that I found both engaging and pretty freaking informative. Enough to catch and keep my attention while driving me deeper into the methodologies that The Workbook hones in on.

Win, win on so many levels. Highly recommend to anyone who is a visual thinker and wants to streamline note taking processes a bit more.
on October 9, 2014
A brilliant and useful guide for empowering yourself and growing your skills as an artist, a note-taker, and a teacher of note-taking. I've integrated many of the lessons of this book into my school teaching as a Latin teacher. My students find it both empowering and difficult, but it's also been transformative in how I go about teaching students and how my students absorb the language study.

The Sketchnote Handbook taught me how to do that.
on November 4, 2014
This is great stuff. My kids all want to start sketchnoting, too.

I don't think it will work for University lecture where you'll be examined about details, but I think it is great for almost everything else.

Just started using the techniques with great results.