5.0 out of 5 stars Skinny Rules That Work
Published on June 10, 2012 by L. M. Keefer

3.0 out of 5 stars Objective Review
Published on May 25, 2012 by OldAndSmart

5.0 out of 5 stars Skinny Rules That Work, June 10, 2012
This review is from: The Skinny Rules: The Simple, Nonnegotiable Principles for Getting to Thin (Hardcover)
I read that being overweight is the greatest mortality factor--more than smoking, drinking excessively and not enough exercise. I went to a nutritionist some years ago to learn about eating healthy foods--and that was a worthwhile investment. She taught how to eat healthy foods that have a low glycemic index: foods that don't elevate your blood sugar. These skinny rules are similar to what she taught--eat primarily vegetables, low-fat protein 5x a day to deter hunger (protein carries the fat out of your body she said), and one serving of whole grains, lowfat dairy and fruit a day. Using that diet I reversed diabetes and dropped 30 pounds in the past 3 years. However, it's helpful to have continual reminders to focus on healthy eating. Felt I wanted a tune-up on healthy eating as I need to lose another 20-30 pounds as I'd put 10 back on, so bought this book to see what rules the author emphasizes. What should the focus be if you want to focus on only 20 primary rules?

Here's the gist of what the book emphasizes regarding skinny rules in brief--recommend you buy the book for the explanations as to why these rules are the top 20 and how to apply them. The rationale and background information is instructive and motivating:

1. Drink large glass of water (16 oz.) before every meal and snacks--5 a day
2. Don't drink your calories--stay away from fruit juices and sodas that are high in sugar. 2 cups coffee okay
3. Eat lowfat protein at every meal--protein doesn't have to be animal based. Protein minimizes hunger
4. Slash intake of refined flour/grains--try brown rice, quinoa, barley, farro
5. Eat 30-50 grams of fiber--he lists fiber-rich foods: 1/2C sliced strawberries-9g;1C zucchini-8g;1C spinach-7g
6. Eat apples and berries each day
7. No carbs after lunch--eat lean and green at night. Protein and veggies are best
8. Read labels--stay away from artificial ingredients or foods that sound like bad chemistry experiments
9. Get portion size right--you can bag some portions ahead of time
10. No artificial sweeteners
11. No white potatoes--I cut sweet potatoes in strips or round slices, toss in olive oil/cumin/garlic pepper and oven roast at 400 for 20-30 minutes. We don't miss the white potato french fries.
12. One day a week meatless--eat more beans and nuts
13. No fast foods and fried foods
14. Eat a real breakfast: include protein, grains and fruit (lowfat plain yogurt is great protein source in fruit smoothie or mixed with fruit said the nutritionist for breakfast)
15. Make your own food and eat at least 10 meals a week at home
16. Banish high salt foods--use more herbs
17. Eat veggies--as much as possible
18. Go to bed hungry--try not to eat after 8 p.m. or 4 hours prior to bedtime
19. Sleep Right--get adequate sleep
20. Plan one splurge meal a week--but don't go crazy with the calories, fat and sugar in it

The nutritionist also recommended eating fruit by noon. Your blood sugar is lowest in the morning so can handle the fruit sugar better, and your daily activity burns the sugar in the fruit off. She also said to think of sugar as poison--your body will burn the sugar off before fat because it wants to get rid of the sugar then it won't burn the fat. Eat less sugar, burn more fat. Read labels for sugar content in foods. She said try to stay under 8g of sugar in whole grain cereal.

I have been doing this regimen since mid-May and have lost 5 pounds. About one pound a week. There's great menu plans at the back of the book and recipes. I tried the turkey bacon in an egg and veggie omelet and love it! You may find foods you haven't tried before. He includes the latest research on foods which is helpful. Liked his suggestion of making turkey meat balls ahead to keep in frig. Want to check out the Ezekiel Bread Bob recommends. Also like the recipe for roasting multiple chicken breasts at a time to have cold in frig to cut up for salads.

The book is amazingly clear, easy to read and follow. It got me back on track. Although I don't use artificial sweeteners, the nutritionist recommended Stevia--a natural sweetener from a South American herb said the nutritionist-- which I put in my daily iced coffee with some almond milk and lowfat milk and a heaping tablespoon of dark cocoa. Shake it or put in blender with the ice. The combination tastes like Starbucks iced coffee-mocha (about 400 calories) but it is only 100 calories. It's a delicious treat for the day. I try to keep to 1200 calories a day and walk 30-60 minutes a day.

Just found having these skinny rules uppermost in my mind as I plan menus is helpful. Other family members have lost weight, too, eating the foods I have been preparing based on this book. I like having this information in book form as it's easy to peruse the recipes and meal plans at the back. Skinny rules is a healthy way to eat for the rest of your life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Objective Review, May 25, 2012
My wife saw Bob Harper on morning television around the book launch and said she was ready to try it. She's lived the high carb, low protein, and low fat lifestyle and never struggled with her weight. But as we've gotten older, managing weight has gotten a little harder for her too, and she would like to drop a size or two. As an avid biggest loser fan (in the early seasons), I thought Bob would have a good plan for eating. Based on the few snippets my wife told me, I thought this might be a plan we could both use. It would increase my wife's protein (which I've always thought was not enough). So we decided to buy the book and give it a try.

I have struggled with my weight most of my adult life. Been 30-50 lbs overweight for most of it. I have been following a low carb Atkins-inspired diet for about 6 months. Not "no carbs", but carbs limited to veggies, nuts, low carb wraps, and recently select fruits. No bread or white potato. Almost no sugar or HFCS. Lots of protein and not worried about fat. I've lost 25 lbs, and 6 inches from my waist. I've been exercising and getting closer to my goals. But the hard part about Atkins is adding back more carbs. Its the point in the diet that people struggle the most, and the reason many regain the lost weight IMO. I have been trying to alter my diet into something "healthy" for the longer term, but with so many changes as to what healthy eating even means, I needed an expert to instruct me. With high hopes I bought the book. There are lots of positives but a few negatives too. I feel I am pretty objective, but you'll have to be the judge for yourself.

Here are my comments on the book and diet:

1 - This is very well researched book. Lots of good information. If you are interested in not just the whats, but the whys, this book is very good at taking you to a satisfying level of detail without being boring or turning into a text book. A+

2 - There are 20 rules in this book. Wow! Atkins had 1. This is a lot to take in.

3 - Some of the rules make a ton of sense and are easy to follow. Drink a full glass of water before every meal. (Bonks self on head). Very easy to remember and do. Great tip. Been doing it. But others are near impossible (no carbs after lunch). Huh? Who can really do that? Lots of advise for eating whole grains which requires planning and prep time, and lots of little baggies. Would I do all of that? Probably not. My wife? Maybe once or twice. After reading the book I was left feeling a little overwhelmed with preparation details and foods I've never heard of.

4 - Splurge meal sounds good, but few specifics. He hints this doesn't mean eating everything is sight. What are the rules? Can I go out and have chips and salsa, fajitas, and a couple of Margaritas or not?

5 - One thing that was sorely missing and disappointing is that there was absolutely no discussion of exercise, and how exercise impacts how and what we eat. I consider exercise the single most important ingredient in managing my weight. Not that I expect to exercise away every extra calorie I eat, but it limits my appetite, makes me feel good, gives me positive feedback as I reach exercise goals, makes positive impacts on my appearance that make me want to watch what I eat, as well as burning extra calories. Even Atkins advocates exercise, while Bob, the "fittest of the fit" completely ignores the topic? Wow. I think there should have been recommendations around exercise, and info about how exercise affects eating. He could have explained what to eat before and after heavy strength training, and before and after cardio. Would exercising in the evening affect the "no carbs after lunch" rule? A chapter on exercise would have made a big difference to me (easily taken me from 3 stars to 4)

6 - One tremendous appeal of Atkins is the ability to walk into almost any restaurant and get something to eat without cheating. Steak and salad, chicken and broccoli, eggs and bacon, hot wings and bunless burger. Much harder with the Skinny Rules IMO. I think the only way I'd feel I was with the program is to eat at home a lot more than the 10 times a week he suggests.

Bottom line. I think this book has a lot to offer to someone who is truly serious about not only losing weight, but eating healthy based on current diet research. Embracing the diet will have you eating more protein, eliminating refined carbs, exploring new foods, and learning food preparation techniques. It would be an investment of time and effort, but would definitely have you eating about as healthy as is possible without hiring a private nutritionist/chef to do all your cooking for you. But many will find fully embracing the diet impossible or at least impractical, but will still pick up valuable tips and recipes to improve their eating habits. I am in this group. I've found that several of the rules were relatively easy to implement and I've incorporated them into my eating habits. Many others I already do (increase protein, cutting refined carbs, cutting out high-carb drinks) based on low-carb lifestyle. But others like no artificial sweeteners, no carbs after lunch, and advice around grains are just too much for me.

I think reading this book would benefit most everyone that reads it, and help them make at least some positive changes in their eating habits. Definitely recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, Simple Weight Loss Rules, May 16, 2012
The Skinny Rules presents a list of 20 straight forward rules that will help you lose weight. Some of the rules are far more important than others, and some are quite obvious and should be already familiar to anyone who has invested any time at all in researching how to lose weight. For example, "Don't drink calorie-laden beverages" is sort of a no-brainer (and yet overweight people still consume soda in vast amounts).

The best rules, aside from not drinking excess calories, are: Drink a glass of water before every meal, slash intake of refined flour and grains, eat fiber every day, no carbs after lunch, and stop eating fast and fried foods. The other rules seem as though they'll have less of an impact, and maybe 20 rules is too many (but fewer would make for a pretty short book.).

One other very important rule is to eat protein with every single meal. I a strong believer in a high protein, low carb diet. Protein (along with exercise) helps prevent muscle loss. The book recommends lots of fish, but you have to be careful because of mercury and other impurities when eating a high volume of fish. Fish can also be difficult if you don't have a lot of time for meal preparation.

I would also strongly suggest checking out The Protein Express Diet: Rapid Weight Loss with a Simplified Dukan/Atkins-Syle Low Carb, High Protein Diet, which offers easy to prepare high protein, low carb meals that suite a busy lifestyle, as well as a simple and easy to follow diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic, easy to follow 'rules.', June 25, 2012
I bought this book 3 weeks ago and started immediately following the 'skinny rules.' Some are very obvious things we all know to do to help with weight loss. Some were new for me, but certainly easy to follow. On Day #13, I was down 8.8 pounds. I am now down just under 10 pounds at the end of my 3rd week. As expected as I get closer to my goal, the weight is coming off slower. Please note that I only have about 25 pounds to lose altogether. I am not terribly overweight. I can only imagine how well these concepts would work if I was more overweight.

Good luck! I recommend this book to anyone trying to make healthy changes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cuts through ALL the clutter., May 18, 2012
I've read almost every diet book out there and this one is one of the most user-friendly. It's a very quick read, but not because it's lacking in content. Unlike most diet books that have maybe one or two recipes that I might try, almost every recipe in this book looks easy and tasty. The meal options are presented in a user-friendly way, too.

Some of the tips, like putting 7 bags of salad greens in the fridge at the beginning of the week, are a god-send for someone like me who hates to spend time every day chopping and cleaning veggies. Even if I take nothing else away from this book, that one idea will make my life so much easier.

I was very happy that the authors don't jump on the "grains are evil" bandwagon, but recommended limiting only refined/processed grains and including healthier whole grains in a rational way.

I am ready to change my life by changing my lifestyle, and I thank the authors for their book and their support.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and Easy to Understand, May 18, 2012
I bought the book this morning and finished it earlier this afternoon. It's a really quick and easy read. Bob doesn't bog you down with a lot of information that will be hard to grasp.

He gives you a list of rules (I think there are about 20 of them). With each rule, he elaborates just enough to justify why it's important enough to have made its way into his book. The best thing about these rules is that he doesn't just tell you the rules, he also gives great tips on how you can incorporate these rules into your lifestyle until they become a habit and you no longer need to think about them. You just do them. He even goes so far as to describe specific brands of foods he recommends and where you can find them in your grocery store. A LOT of nutrition advice lacks in this area, and you go to the store with this list in hand full of crazy new foods, then you wind up buying a giant box of cookies to console yourself after you wander around in search of these mysterious foods.

He's frank and honest about what you need to eat. I love that he cuts through the crap with the low-fat, lite, low-carb garbage on the shelves at grocery stores. He doesn't sugar coat the menu plan and tell you it's okay to put junk into your body and explains that it actually sabotages your efforts when you use things with artificial sweeteners.

People really need advice like this that isn't laced with advertisements to purchase expensive meals-by-mail or shakes. They need to know they can succeed with a little preparation and what is available at their local grocery store. I'm looking forward to implementing these rules into my life, starting now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, June 16, 2012
I have followed the program for 3 weeks now & am down 9 lbs. I am never hungry and have stopped craving crackers/cookies. I am hoping I can take this program into a lifetime way of eating. Recommend trying this plan to anyone who has yoyo dieted for years.

4.0 out of 5 stars One criticism, May 26, 2012
Justin B (Monterey, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great book, especially if you're like me--I hate to count anything! Calories, fat grams, points, whatever! I just want to eat healthy and lose weight without having to obsess over the details. That being said, I do have one criticism--stevia is not an artificial sweetener. It's listed with artificial sweeteners, probably because stevia is a low-calorie sweetener. However, it's made from dried leaves of the stevia plant, not created from chemicals in a lab like aspartame or Splenda. I understand why Bob says to avoid any kind of sweetener on a regular basis, and it's a good rule that I will definitely follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, May 16, 2012
People complaining about this book rehashing all the previous diet rules, that was the point! This book was written as a slate wiping, simplified version of what Bob thinks will work to help people lose weight. It seems like the ones complaining about the book barely read it, or didn't comprehend what they were reading. This book wasn't written to work in conjunction with other books, it was written as a simplified guide to clear out all the complicated data involved in "dieting." I personally hate that word and all its negative connotations. If you look at these rules and your eating as a lifestyle, rather than a diet, you'll be doing yourself a much bigger favor. It was really well written and I plan on trying a lot of the recipes. Bob and Jillian helped me lose 30 lbs after I quit smoking, I finally reached my goal weight and I'm getting ready to start my second round of P90X. These rules work. Plain and simple. What you get out of something is directly proportionate to what you put into it. No effort = no results. Use this book as your guide to eating and health, add some exercise and you'll have a recipe for a better you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Five stars for the rules, but some glaring editing errors = a strong four stars, July 21, 2012
I've been following the Skinny Rules for about six days now, and have also been tracking the nutrition for each meal as I've tried programs in the past that weren't balanced - this one (generally) is! I noticed that others are stating that there are no carbs after lunch, but that is inaccurate. There are carbs built into the diet after lunch (afternoon snack + dinner), they are complex carbohydrates from vegetables and fruit, (on average between 30 to 40 grams+ for the female version of the diet), just no simple starches. The book has some awesome recipes (make the pesto sauce, the meat balls, the chicken with grilled vegetables, all yum). Have successfully given up my all time favorite - half & half in my coffee, and am not noticing the difference.

I think the authors could have paid more attention to help readers prepare for living under the skinny rules. Indeed, drinking the six prescribed 16 ounce glasses of water plus the additional water I drink during the day had me running to the restroom every 10 minutes. But that lasted only a couple of days - your body does adjust. More difficult to adjust to was the large volume of fiber contained in the diet - it would be an improvement if the authors provided a step-up plan for fiber in the days before you officially start the plan.

Overall, I've found this the most pleasant diet to live by - I feel much fuller than on Weight Watchers, and just plain couldn't stand living the Atkins way. I'm hoping to achieve my "medium-est" loser status (made up :-) on this plan. It is a bit concerning that at the end of four weeks, there is no guidance for moving forward. A few words of advice on how to ease back into a more normal way of eating (how to deal with restaurants, travel, celebratory occasions would be useful).

As I said in the title of this review, the only big gripe I have about the book is the lack of attention to editing. Bob Harper has so many fans, how many will take every word as their diet gospel without looking more closely at the content? There are some glaring typos (strawberries don't have 9g of fiber in 1/2 cup, there are less than 2 grams; zucchini doesn't have 8g of fiber in a cup, it has jut over 1g). Some of the menus seem garbled up - I believe two breakfasts (female version) were erroneously combined into one during Week One, and some of the lunches seem painfully short on the only "simpler" carbs adherents will get to eat and are a bit low in calories. I have just used common sense and added 1/2 cup quinoa to two of the lunch suggestions and have stayed within the calorie guidance Bob states in the text.

To end on a positive note, I really do love this diet and it is getting me to be more creative in my own food preparation concepts. Since there are no potatoes/starches for dinner, I've modified a simple mashed cauliflower recipe that I found online, a one cup serving is about 78 calories, 2.3 g fat and almost 5 g of fiber. Even my non-dieting husband loves the foods we're eating.

Wishing everyone great success as they hop aboard the BH Skinny Rules train! It really does rule!!!

The Skinny Rules: The Simple, Nonnegotiable Principles for Getting to Thin