Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Skinny on Success: Why Not You?
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Learn more Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$9.99

on December 29, 2012
I don't like to read sel-help books much so when I do want to read them I want to get the best as quickly as possible. This book accomplishes that and more. In the interest of full disclosure, I own the other books in this series and enjoy them all. This one is special though because it combines the topics of the other "Skinny on" books when it comes to willpower, time management and other topics relating to success. This book is full of interesting quotes, information and a good bibliography. The author clearly did his research.
The Skinny On is a series of clever, humorous, and entertaining books that teach significant lessons in an informal, non-pedantic, concise, and engaging fashion usually, but not always, using drawings of stick people engaged in dialogue. Readers can finish the volumes and get many valuable and useful ideas in about an hour.
This volume shows that success is not secured by "the smartest, most talented, best-looking or even the luckiest" person, but by people who identify what they feel strongly about, recognize that they have the potential for success, who take action, and pursue it persistently despite setbacks; people who realize that failure is a part of the process of success.
The book offers many examples of how to do this by referring to more than five dozen books and about the same number of quotes, as Buddha: "Your work is to discover your work, and then with all your heart, give yourself to it." There are interviews with anchorman Brian Williams discussing how he became successful, a part of a speech by actress Jodi Foster, and many others. The book describes how authors, such as Stephen King, J. K. Rowling, and John Grisham, spent years writing before they became successful.
In short, Jim Randel effectively shows how every reader of his book can develop the strength of mind to improve the likelihood of success in his or her chosen endeavor.
on October 13, 2011
As someone who has been studying the Laws of Success since the 90s, I am always looking for NEW ideas on the topic, as I am continually learning as I achieve my goals and move onto the next one. Goal achievers always look for new and more efficient ways to get from point A to point B and reading ideas from those who understand achievement is a must. This book is crucial for anyone looking to take their goals to the next level; which really is what success is all about.

This book brought tears to my eyes as I understood so clearly where I am in my own success quest. Randel explains topics I have been studying for years in such a clear and concise manner as he allows the reader to reflect upon their own potential, and self-assess. Are you doing all that you can do to achieve your goals? Where are you falling short? Once you can see this, he shows you how to navigate back on course using the reservoirs of talent that he reminds us we each possess.

He also gives clear cut examples of well known people and their steps towards the successful life they lead. Most people find they had to keep working on their passions, navigate back on course when they steered off, work on their mental attitude so they could stay on track, persevere and keep a high level of integrity.

If you are struggling to achieve a certain goal, or level of success, you MUST read this book. You will gain some insight on the action you need to take next, and keep working, and then one day, you will realize your goal has been achieved. I am thankful to have come across this book.
on June 11, 2012
Why is it that some people are more successful than others? Is it possible that there is a formula for success? If there is, are you willing to read all the books written on the subject to find out what it is?

Jim Randel, author of The Skinny On series, has done the hard work for you. In The Skinny on Success, he brings us the best ideas on how to become successful, shown in stick-figure drawings. We meet Billy and Beth, who each have encountered a problem in finding success. Randel counsels them with wise advice pulled from some of the best success books written.

This Skinny may look like little more than a comic strip, but this powerful little book takes about an hour to read and is packed full of helpful information. Sure, you could read all the books listed in the bibliography if you want to be successful, but why not save some time and pick this one up instead?

Reviewer: Alice Berger
Interested in what components make up the lives of the most successful, and what you can do to reach your own highest goals? This book by Jim Randel is a quick read that you will return to again and again for knowledge, inspiration and sheer entertainment.

With quotes culled from a very broad spectrum of authors, Jim Randel brings fascinating facts to life with humor and the skill of a storyteller. His sources are as diverse as Teddy Roosevelt, Stephen King and the American Psychological Association. The illustrations are stick-figure cartoons and photographs, but don't be fooled by the brilliant simplicity of presentation.

The Skinny on Success is a powerhouse of a book, and I can't recommend it highly enough. However, if you choose not to buy it, I must tell you that "4 out of 5 people regretted not what they did... but what they did not do!
on June 23, 2011
This one didn't grip me as much as the skinny on willpower, but it was good. It motivated me and put me at ease at the same time. I enjoyed it and will use its tips. It's already motivated me to write out my to-do list for tomorrow, so I say mission accomplished!
on November 30, 2011
I think that the skinny on and the smarter comic books are the best way to learn the most important subjects in life because it summarizes many words and wisdoms from many books in a few pages that are abridged and entertaining backed by a visual way these approach make you make the most out of the subject in the shortest time possible with the maximum benefits beacuse learning with pictures stay longer in the memory and the length of the book makes it the best for reference
whether you have a lot of time or not these books will save you alot of time to spend it on what is important to you
What an awesome concept for an educational book series! Make a bunch of stick figures, insert some key talking points on a specific subject and then use that medium as a way to communicate practical ideas for making necessary changes to improve someone's life. That's what you get from the "Knowledge That Sticks" series from Jim Randel (Brilliant, dude! Just brilliant!). This edition focuses on being successful in whatever pursuits in life you go after! Yes, it is possible to reach your goals and the practical advice in this book will guide you down that path. Cute book concept and I look forward to seeing others in this fun series.
on January 18, 2011
This is my third "skinny" book and my favorite thus far. I'm a fan of the positive psychology genre and I like to read anything that will help you improve yourself or at least get you to think differently.

From my previous experience with other skinny titles, I knew there would be a lot of great information with very little filler. I was surprised at how much this title had to offer. It was a page turner from the first page. It can be read in about an hour.

The author basically takes information from a whole lot of reputable authors and condenses it into a concise package. The use of the stick figures makes it more personal, adds humor, and helps the message to flow. I will admit that I already knew a lot of the stuff in here but the presentation of the material in this title gave a lot of that "stuff" new meaning. A book cannot turn you into a success but it certainly can inspire you and encourage you. This book does that and it does it very well.

The stories of famous people who succeeded in the face of adverse situations was very inspiring. Success is not really about genetics (maybe only for basketball) but other than that, the book stresses that success is pretty much all about practice, perseverance, and attitude. The thing standing between you and success is really you; it's rarely an external factor.

I've read a whole lot of positive psychology and I really liked this book because it cut to the main points. I highly recommend it to the avid reader and to anyone who just wants to thinks succeeding is impossible. There is a nice recommended reading section in the back of the book and you might want to read a few more titles to broaden your understanding. The skinny books do a good job of creating "the big picture."

I am very happy with this purchase and I will be buying future skinny titles as they seem to deliver on what they promise.
VINE VOICEon April 8, 2010
QUICK SUMMARY: This book doesn't define what *IS* success, rather, it explains what it's going to take to become successful, whether materially or spiritually defined. The book offers no secret "formula" and certainly doesn't advocate any kind of "Get Rich Quick!" scheme. Instead, The Skinny On Success is this: persistence, focus, and hard work. It's what my kids need to hear! It's what *I* need to hear! Highly recommended!

What I LIKED:

- The book doesn't define what it means to be successful. You do!
- The author synthesizes and condenses the experts' opinion on finding success
- This book has advice each of my kids needs to hear
- This book has advice *I* need to hear, too!
- Several real-life examples help put a face on what it takes to be successful
- The back of the book has a wonderful list of further reading on the subject
- The book offers some surprising revelations on "natural talent"
- The author neatly ties everything together in a list of Top Ten Things Successful People Do. Performing all ten behaviors doesn't guarantee success (not everyone can be a top athlete or U.S. president), but it sure does increase one's chances of success!

I'm going to require that my young, teenage son read The Skinny On Success, because the advice it contains is absolutely crucial for any young person to hear and understand. As a Christian, the other must-read story about success from the Bible is the story of Nehemiah and the rebuilding of the walls of Jerusalem. The Skinny on Success dovetails perfect with Nehemiah, who exemplifies the author's Top Ten list (and who received God's blessing -- that's the spiritual aspect of success).

Highly recommended, most especially for any high school or college-aged student, but also for anyone who needs a jolt of inspiration.

Full Disclosure: As an Amazon Top Reviewer, I received a complimentary copy of this book title. However, my reviews are always my honest reflection of a product, and the publisher made no effort to influence my review.