The Slaves Shall Serve: Meditations on Liberty
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$18.95 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 21, 2004
Format: Paperback
This book was a great pleasure to read, due to the authors' wonderful writing style. But in another sense it was a horrible book to read. I have never been a fan of the horror genre, and reading this book is akin to reading a Stephen King novel, except that it IS NOT FICTION! In this new book there are no gods, devils, or other evil spirits; the monsters are all too human. If you are easily scared by true events, then this is NOT a book for you. But if you want to learn the truth about what is going on in the world, and why the world seems so insane lately, then this book does a wonderful job of explaining things. The writing style is very easy to read, and it is not a heavy scholarly tome.
The book begins with the author's chronicle of his very personal experiences that brought him to the point where he felt compelled to write this book. Then there is a look a look at the various major strains of political thought, such as statism, collectivism, libertarianism, and so forth.
Next, a look at a subject painful to everyone: Waco. This is not the usual "such and such happened at 11:03 AM" type of chronicle (though I am not criticizing some of those very useful accounts). This is a personal account. One man trying to cope with an obvious disaster of truly epic proportions that literally stripped the veil from his eyes regarding American politics. All those people dead over a $200 tax!
It gets worse, since he then covers September 11th. I say "worse" because what other adjective can I use to describe 9/11? But the author gives a very detailed account of the forces at play. This is not your usual New York Times article on why terrorists hate us. He lays bare the actual foundations of the evil, showing how the actual issue is about a
thousand years old.
Next we get a lesson in very modern history, showing how liberty is a concept that the modern statists abhor and do their best to destroy. It is a U.S. "centric" but I can't blame the author for that; he can tackle Europe later.
He next emphasizes the need to have a system of self-discipline that transcends the individual so that a free person may function properly in society (in other words, how to be a good person).
The next chapter details actions that we can take to try to prevent the horror from continuing or getting worse (and it is getting worse). The author does a masterful job here, having previously built up an iron-clad case, and now showing how we can resist
while playing by the rules.
Next is a reproduction of the one-page manifesto of liberty by the Englishman Crowley. Not an American! An Englishman mind you, and a highly controversial one at
that! There is something deliciously ironic about this. It is written in words of one syllable that anyone can understand. Crowley's manifesto will initially shock some (it was deliberately written to shock by using some mystical statements that will no doubt offend many who don't understand the underlying meaning and symbolism). But upon reflection, you'll see that Crowley's statement will put a LOT in context.
What follows next are a series of appendices. It is in the nature of appendices that most readers skip them. These should not be skipped. There is Thomas Jefferson's Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution which are always worth reviewing. Then there is the absolute shock of the U.N. Charter, and a bunch of other U.N. documents. I am struck by the internal inconsistencies. For example, the U.N. seemingly declares human rights to be innate "up front" but if you read further you'll see they clearly state that human rights are GRANTED by governments and are NOT innate within us. Shocking in the extreme. And that is just ONE example! If you think the U.N. is the way to go then you need to read these documents and have your eyes opened.
The last appendix contains some writings by then U.S. President John F. Kennedy which I guarantee will shock the living daylights out of anyone who has not read them! Taken in the context of things that Kennedy was involved in, such as the Bay of Pigs, the Cuban Missile Crisis, and Vietnam, it puts a LOT of things into context.
An annotated bibliography of suggested reading ends up this gem. It will allow you to start your own personal journey like the author has done, if you haven't already. Plus it verifies everything in the book (the author is a very careful scholar, who attributes all his sources; I'm a real nit picker about that, and could find no fault).
I can't praise this book more highly. Buy it. Read it. Buy more and give the copies to your friends. Recommend it to everyone! I have been waiting for a book like this for a LONG time and am overjoyed that it is now available. Destined to be a classic in the literature of freedom, I give Jim Wasserman my congratulations for having the guts to write this.
VINE VOICEon January 6, 2005
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
This book is a sort of talisman, in that it was clearly produced to bring about changes in the world. Whether the author's goal was to champion the rights of the individual and thereby weaken the power of the state, or simply to get occultists to join the NRA, is a matter open to debate. Nonetheless, it is an interesting book.

Mr. Wasserman advocates a peculiar philosophy in "The Slaves Shall Serve", blending gun control statistics and the facts of Waco and Ruby Ridge with the teachings of Aleister Crowley and the Libertarian Party to advance the idea that the individual is at the very least sovereign, if not god. Few readers of this book would agree with the author on every point on religion and politics, but his views are logically consistent and worthy of consideration. Additionally, Mr. Wasserman offers valuable and penetrating insight into the minds of the 9/11 hijackers with his analysis of militant Islam.

My only complaint about this book is that it is too short (nearly half the book could have been condensed to a page of URLs), but I suspect that the author did this on purpose, sneaking a printed copy of the U.S. Constitution into the "New Age" section of bookstores and libraries. Regardless of its shortcomings, any reader of "The Slaves Shall Serve" will be compelled to draw two conclusions - that the rights of the individual are under attack from enemies both foreign and domestic, and that these liberties are worth fighting for - and that is reason enough for me to recommend the book.
on August 12, 2004
Book Review

The Slaves Shall Serve - Meditations on Liberty

James Wasserman (2004)

When I bought this book, I had hopes that I had come to the end of a long search for a book that combined a genuine understanding of both politics and the occult. That sense of hope mainly hinged on the fact that Wasserman is a Thelemite, one of the few modern esoteric traditions which I consider not fluffy. Unfortunately, what I found was yet another magician who seems to have spent so long on the astral plane that he has been able to develop only the most superficial understanding of the social-political realm.

Wasserman has seen the smokescreen of liberal ideology for what it is... only to trade it for the most common and silly ideas put out by conservatives. For example, while condemning the "liberal" notion of gun control, he states that he thinks Senator McCarthy was right, and believes than an invasion of blue-helmeted U.N. troopers is imminent. One of the most amusing claims he makes is one parroted by right-wing talk-show host almost daily: that there is a leftist bias in mainstream media. As evidence, he points out a Media Research Center report that found a 10-to-1 ration of "anti-gun" to "pro-gun" stories on major news channels between 7/1/97 and 6/30/99. Well and good, but if the media is really so left-biased, then why did the same research organization find a *100-to-1* ratio of pro-war to anti-war stories in the months leading up to Gulf War II, at a time when the most conservative polls showed over half of all Americans opposing the war? And if the media is so leftist, why do right-wing pundits like Newt Gingrinch and Rush Limbaugh and Pat Robertson all have their own talk shows while leading Left intellectuals like anarchist Noam Chomsky and socialist Howard Zinn find themselves confined to poorly-compensated tours between universities?

The gun-control essay is, in fact, the best-written and best-researched essay in the entire book. There is another decent essay about Waco, but the documentary Waco: The Rules of Engagement, which Wasserman references, does a better job of laying out the horrors that the U.S. government carried out there. The others I find to be rather groundless opinion papers with few convincing arguments to back them up. The book is further weakened by the fact that these essays comprise a little under half of the book - the second half is a reprinting of the U.S. and U.N. Constitutions with some minor notes and observations tacked on. The book sells for $20, a rather steep price for about 100 pages of original writing, especially for such superficial analysis.

I'm sure Mr. Wasserman really does cherish the idea of freedom, but I'm not sure he entirely understands it. He condemns both collectivism and democracy! "Would you really want the post office to run the world?" he asks, to which the True Libertarian (i.e. Anarchist, from whom the so-called libertarian party mis-appropriated the term) responds with a resounding Yes! The post office is a perfect example of how a non-centralized federation of autonomous communities could function. There is no central high command for the post office, but if you put a letter to Prague in a mailbox in San Francisco, it will get there. Wasserman also defends the idea of a republic, saying that true democracy is like two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Well, that goes to show that you can prove anything by allegory. If we inject a little realism into this allegory, we can see how quickly it disintigrates though. First of all, nowhere in nature will you find two wolves for every sheep. Common sense tells you that this is impossible. And even if wolves did outnumber sheep, it has been shown that even these fierce predators practice- not survival of the fittest!- but mutual aid, that other important anarchist principle. If a member of the pack is sick or injured, the pack doesn't abandon it, but shares food to try and keep it alive. The individualism which Wasserman so often invokes sounds to me more like egoism, which, unless I am mistaken, is the enemy in Thelema. Perhaps that is why he feels the need to justify his worldview with a divine power as the basis for morality. His position just doesn't hold up on its own.

The fact is, the whole liberal/conservative split is itself just a smokescreen put up to hide the true agenda of those in power, the heads of the multinational corporations whose GDPs are larger than those of almost every country in the world, and whose transactions in fact make up a large percentage of the GDP of the world's superpowers. Both "liberal" and "conservative" presidents have obediently carried out the secretive and undemocratic World Trade Organization's program of "neoliberal" economic reforms. NAFTA, for example, was dreamed up by Reaganites, refined under Bush Sr., put into action by Clinton, and then further expanded under Bush Jr. More than the U.N. coming to take away your guns, Mr. Wasserman, you should be concerned about the WTO coming to take away your food, your water, and your livelihood through programs which no bullet can damage.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 10, 2010
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
James Wasserman presents the sobering truth about the dark cloud hanging over our Constitutional liberty in America. This is not some conspiracy theory book with wild seculations about the Illuminati and such. This book simply exposes the path that governments take when their citizens would rather have the government run their personal live than run it themselves with the responsibility that accompanies personal liberty. The massacres at Waco and Ruby Ridge are covered in this book, debunking the lies the government made to cover up the atrocities federal agents have committed on innocent American citizens all because they didn't pay an unconstitutional tax. He also goes into the long-term tension between the Western and Islamic nations and why it led to 9/11, the importance of the 2nd Amendment, and why the UN is one of the biggest threats to the rights of people everywhere. Wasserman is very good at citing his sources and includes multiple official government documents in the appendix, such as the US Constitution and the UN charter, to prove his claims.

This book will especially appeal to occultists and followers of minority religons who believe in personal liberty and limited government but are driven away by the religious theocracy that plagues much of the right-wing. Wasserman is a follower of Thelema, a religious philosophy that asserts individual liberty and the freedom to follow one's true will, and quotes Thelemic texts which line up very much with the idea of liberty our founding fathers had. Fascist governments such as Nazi Germany and Communist nations have persecuted Christian churches and occult orders alike, simply because they believed in a power higher than the state.

Whatever your religion, race, age, political affiliation, or background; if you care about your personal liberty you should give this book a read. And if you don't, then you should still read it to find out why you should care.
on March 16, 2004
Format: Paperback
James Wasserman's newest book, "The Slaves Shall Serve - Meditations on Libetry", is a departure from his past works. The Slaves Shall Serve is a compilation of essays that examine current events and the impact of these events on the political and personal liberty of US citizens.
The book is written from a personal - sometimes emotional - point of view. Jim backs up every point with excellent research and includes three appendices of source documents. Essay topics range from the Ruby Ridge and Waco sieges to Second Amendment issues, an in-depth analysis of the September 11th attacks, and freedom of religion.
In this age of political correctness and an insidious attack through non-legislative means on our fundamental rights as enumerated by the Founding Fathers, this book is a breath of fresh air and open, honest no-spin discussion. You may not agree with every conclusion reached in the book but all the arguments are well made and well supported.
I think the quote below articulates something many people attracted feel personally. I know I feel likewise and that this statement resonated with me at my core when I read it. Regardless of technique, regardless of dogma or lack thereof, regardless of personal motivation or lack thereof, there can be No spiritual liberty, no personal spiritual advancement without a freedom to experiment and not be attacked for those experiments.
"Liberty has been the entire basis of my life quest. I have used every technique I could find to maximize my Liberty: meditation, ritual magick, sex, drugs, sobriety, philosophy, personal economics, and career choice. I have come to believe that political liberty is an essential component of spiritual liberty."
The Slaves Shall Serve isn't a conservative versus liberal political book. It isn't a Republican versus Democrat book. It isn't a conspiracy book. It is a simple, clear documentation of recent events and the conclusions an intelligent human being can reasonably draw from these events and their aftermath.
I think this book is a great investment at around $20. The appendices include a complete copy of the Declaration of Independence, the US Constitution and Bill of Rights, Liber OZ, and pages of United Nations documents that I found very enlightening. I think you could spend nearly $20 just obtaining the documents included in the appendices.
I strongly recommend buying the book and trying some of the actions suggested.
on September 29, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Wasserman raises essential points in understanding America's founders' unique perspective on liberty and why failure to teach and comprehend the true meaning of liberty as it used to be understood (instead of propaganda) is escalating loss of real freedom in America.
on May 28, 2004
Format: Paperback
This book has influenced me deeply and I recommend it to anyone who values freedom. I read it during a pivotal period in my life. I have been examining my political views since the last presidential election, when, for the first time, I was concerned with who was going to win. I was 27-years-old then, and beginning to awaken from the New Age, left-wing slumber that plagued my "Generation X" youth.
As I read these fierce and potent essays, I received a telegram from Cuba that a close relative was dying. My family had fled the Cuban Revolution in the late sixties and came to America in search of freedom. I jumped on the first available flight to Cuba. As I sat alone on the plane with this book, I meditated. Human freedom is contingent upon political liberty.
The moment I exited the plane and saw the rows of soldiers with automatic rifles decorating the runway, I realized I could not defend a single one of my Constitutional rights. I could remain silent, and my silence grew deafening as the days went on. I reflected on The Slaves Shall Serve and the chilling Orwellian undercurrent that seeks to infect this nation.
At the hospital, a military guard holding an automatic rifle stood at the doorway of the black iron gate. I hadn't even considered that medical care is under the regime. I had to show my passport and give a detailed explanation of why I was there. I was "escorted" by another soldier with another automatic rifle. Oh the joys of free, government-regulated health care! Hundreds of people waiting unattended; doctors who earn less money than the local butcher; long dark hallways unlit during the night for "energy conservation"; dirty bed sheets underneath quarantined patients; lack of quality medicines.
By the third day I was thirsty, hungry, and tired. I woke up and cried more than ever before. The image on the cover of The Slaves Shall Serve burned in my mind's eye. I was inside the Iron Curtain. It was cold, and cruel, and Godless. Images of Ruby Ridge flashed alternately with images of the Waco invasion, and the young Cuban exile Elian Gonzalez being dragged from his home. I cried for the books not written by oppressed authors; for a nation unable to vote; for hundreds of journalists serving life sentences in unimaginably inhumane conditions; for a people not free to leave that wretched place. I shook in anger at the power-hungry ignorants who want to distort the plain English of America's Bill of Rights. What part of "infringed" do they not understand? I cried for America because freedom must be protected, and we've become spoiled.
I have witnessed the Communist horror first hand. I urge you to buy this book. As Americans we still have the most powerful tools to combat tyranny, Freedom and Liberty. Read these pages carefully. Use its appendices. Arm yourself with its factual information. Meditate on Liberty. Know that there is a force that wants to take away our liberty.
If we don't wake up and smell the gun powder, it will!
Format: Paperback
Review of James Wasserman's "The Slaves Shall Serve: Meditations On Liberty."

This book is prefaced on the fact that we, collectively, as Americans need to take the time to step back and contemplate the grievous implications and impact upon our lives if our personal and civil liberties were suspended, sidestepped, or simply preempted by "another law." Wasserman's treatise then, is more relevant today than it was when it was published five years ago.

Longer lived civilizations than ours have flourished and died. Syndicated columnist and author Georgie Ann Geyer wrote: "I have come to the conclusion that it is impossible to have a moral community or nation without faith in God, because without it everything comes down to 'me' and 'me,' alone, is meaningless." She further opined: "Today Americans have stopped acting in terms of their own moral, ethical, and religious beliefs and principles. They stopped acting on what they knew was right--and the 'me' has become the measure of everything. However, moral societies are the only ones that work. If anyone thinks there is not a direct and inviolable relationship between personal integrity in a society and that society's prosperity, that person has simply not studied history..."

Examples for consideration and reflection: Massive corruption is being unveiled at every level of government whilst laws are being crafted to create a federal network creating "civilian detention centers" and allowing plans to declare martial law enforced federally designed to work around The Posse Comitatus Act in the wake of the "hurricane Katrina disaster," among others. See article where Rep. Alcee L. Hastings, D-Fla., has introduced to the House of Representatives a new bill, H.R. 645, calling for the secretary of homeland security to establish no fewer than six national emergency centers for corralling civilians on military installations.

Is this type of legislation necessary? How have we survived as a Nation to this date without it? Must every aspect of our lives be micromanaged by government to our individual detriment? Is that the force which will fill the vacuum left empty by our ever shrinking collective morality?

Instead of citizens desiring to remain free and independent to pursue their own dreams and goals it appears that we Americans, in vast numbers, are surrendering our inheritance of liberty to Federal and State governments under the promise of economic and military "protection." It appears that it is a violent current that we can't swim out of and must then "go with the flow."

"The Slaves Shall Serve" should function as the anvil for which our collective national reawakening must take place. Regardless of whether the reader is a Thelemite, Christian, Pagan, or other faith the common thread is the acknowledgment of a higher power and a belief in the morality that to "do what is right," "harm none," "follow the golden rule," etc., exists.

I love the fact that the Author has shown fit to publish the U.S. Constitution as so few citizens have read it. More than anything the book instructs us to retain the liberties given to us by the Bill of Rights by exercising them. Like it or not, there is no such thing as secular government or politics. A person's morality is their internal compass directly predicated upon their own beliefs and understanding. The U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights is the only shield we have for protecting our pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness as outlined in the Declaration of Independence.

Absolutely worth reading and understanding. 5 stars without reservation.
on November 15, 2004
Format: Paperback
This is a magnificent book. It provides an insightful collection of

essays whose overriding theme may be summarized by the following

statement: "Political liberty is a spiritual value." An autobiographical

introduction positions the author as a former 60s "liberal" who

gradually woke up to smell the coffee. This is followed by an essay that

distinguishes between the political philosophies of individualism and

collectivism, personal liberty versus "group rights." An essay on Waco

makes it clear that the deaths of 100 Americans can not be brushed over

as some "little aberration" of the Clinton era. An essay on September

11th draws on the author's expertise with Islamic secret societies. The

essay on the Second Amendment is written by a partisan of the Bill of

Rights who understands the meaning of the phrase "shall not be

infringed." I personally found his (humorously titled) Goddesses, Guns

and Guts to be the most controversial in the book. Here, a well-known

occultist discusses the need for belief in a higher power to make

oneself a worthy candidate for true political freedom. Suggested Actions

offers an elementary program to begin to break out of the modern media

trance of daily life. Liber Oz by Aleister Crowley makes clear the

author's true Libertarian stance in words of one syllable.

These essays comprise the first half of the book. They are followed by

meticulous documentation to buttress the boldness of the author's

statements. I had only the vaguest familiarity with the utter

contemptuousness and banality of the key founding documents and

agreements of the United Nations. Although this material may be said to

have been "hidden in plain sight" for decades, I wonder how many of you

or your friends have ever read it. I think Wasserman proves his point

that the UN is the prototype of a one world socialist tyranny designed

to creep into every living room and bedroom on planet Earth. And he does

so by providing accurate and complete versions of the material these

busybody bureaucratic wannabes have written themselves.

One may easily dismiss the author's assertions of the treasonous trend

lines of America's ruling elite (whether disguised as "democrats" or

"republicans") as the opinion of a patriot who may have an untimely

fervor for individual liberty. Like some 18th century throwback who

didn't realize the Age of the Expert had put an end to the concept of

personal sovereignty, the author's passion flows through a series of

carefully reasoned arguments. However, if you combine his opinions with

the documentary evidence provided by the Freedom From War position paper

of the U.S. State Department, (personally delivered by President Kennedy

to the UN in 1962) reproduced in full as Appendix Three, you begin to

realize that just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's not

out to get you!

If I had any argument with this book, it was his presenting the full

text of the Constitution in the first Appendix. This would seem to be so

widely known that I initially wondered why it was included. On

reflection however, I remembered that my son had graduated from one of

the three advanced public high schools in NYC and had never read the

Constitution! Perhaps I understand the author's reluctance to leave that

crucial material out. It also adds immeasurably to the ability of the

reader to understand the primary question asked by this book, namely:

"Who, in his right mind, would be supportive of a political system that

intended to replace his unalienable rights with alienable privileges?"

The inclusion of the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and

the Bill of Rights provides black and white evidence of the concept of

"unalienable" rights as envisioned by America's founders. The inclusion

of the UN material provides clear evidence of what is meant by the

phrase "alienable privileges." And the publication of Freedom From War

makes it clear that many in this U.S. government are seeking to

undermine our unique Constitutional freedoms by substituting the

international community's vision of the origin of political rights as

deriving from the State. The author dares to calls this "treason."

The annotated reading list suggests some great books for further

research. Personally, I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
on November 1, 2006
Format: Paperback
SEE THE BOOK BLOOD ON THE ALTAR FOR REASONS TO AVOID.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...