Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

on November 1, 2011
As a practicing physician who treats patients with weight problems, sleep is indispensible. Michael Breus has written 2 really good books on the subject and I use his new 5 Sleep Rules with all of my patients. Too many people try to diet more and exercise harder and forget a really basic fact like good restorative sleep. Lack of sleep causes hormone changes that increase hunger (ghrelin) and decrease fullness (leptin) as well as make it harder (cortisol), even when you are following a basically good diet and mild to moderate exercise. For those who diet and exercise and still need to lose weight, this book will help you to understand why sleep is good for you and necessary for weight loss.

Craig Primack MD, FAAP
Scottsdale Weight Loss Center PLLC
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 17, 2013
This book should have been titled practical methods of curing sleep disorders. The book is about sleep and contains a small amount of information on food and diet. It contains the following:
A sleep disruption quiz by which the individual can self diagnose severity of the sleep disorder
A list of hormones affecting sleep and their purpose
A description of the stages of sleep
A sleep diary for the individual to follow his or her sleep pattern
A list of activities that boost good sleep
A listing of the types of mattress
A discussion of things that affect sleep e.g. sound, smell, and light
In part III A short list of recipes
The discussion of meals is hardly a diet plan.
The primary hypothesis appears to be that disturbed sleep promotes Ghrelin which in turn promotes eating.
If sleep is normalized the amount of Ghrelin would be reduced and the individual would be able to lose weight.
Unfortunately the most recent information on the FTO gene which is connected with Ghrelin production is that there is more than one variant. This means that the relationship depends on the variant that is present in the individual. Diet type will affect whether or not weight reduction occurs. In one variant a high protein diet has demonstrated weight reduction.
On page 34 there is mention that there are 88 types of sleep disorder. There is no complete nosology nor a listing of which are diet related
Overall, this is a good and informative book on sleep disorders and there possible treatment. I highly recommend it for persons with sleep disorders.
on October 2, 2011
I've had sleep struggles for about 5 years so when a friend sent me a copy of this book, I started reading it immediately. It has become my sleep bible - and I am reaping such good results by following the suggestions the doctor gives. His explanation of how sleep works, and of how and why aspects of life and substances interfere with sleep explained to me things I simply did not know. And believe me, I've read plenty of literature about sleep problems - but nothing this informative and nothing that had the whole program for solving sleep deprivation. I said I'm reaping the results by following the program outlined in this book - by that I mean I have stopped taking sleeping pills, and that I'm getting now 7 - 7 1/2 hours of quality sleep. It is a whole new world for me!
on June 3, 2011
This book is one of the best books I have ever read, especially I am not the biggest fan of books. It was definitely a good read and I would recommend it to anyone. I am not a person who has a weight problem. Just a pretty average guy with the average height so pretty normal. The book itself is very inspirational. The advice is great and has helped me gain better sleep as I have had been sleeping badly for many years till I read this book.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Every day I treat patients who want to lose weight, and wonder why they have difficulty being successful when they are only getting 4 hours of sleep each night. Dr. Breus explains superbly the scientific connection between sleep deprivation and obesity, and what to do about it. When you consider that SLEEP IS JUST AS IMPORTANT AS DIET AND EXERCISE in weight loss, you make getting more sleep a priority. The book reviews all of the scientific literature in easy to understand terms, so there is no question why you should be getting more sleep. This information helps those who choose to stay up late and don't consider the consequences.
What about those who want to sleep more but either can't get to sleep or awaken during the night? Dr. Breus reviews the reasons why you might be having difficulty, and gives easy to use strategies depending upon your specific sleep problem. The tools are easy to use, and highly effective.
I have recommended this to many patients at Scottsdale Weight Loss Center, and have found the advise to be invaluable.
on August 23, 2011
Dont waste a moment on this book. I took the bait from Dr. Oz. But it is all about the money. Thought I could trust his recommendation. I was hoping for tips on a better nights sleep. When I saw the forward by Arianna Huffington and comments by Rose O'Donnell I knew this wasn;t going to be a winner. It's a tremendous amount of already published data and beyond common sense lists. "cut back on energy drinks" and "eliminate caffeine by 2pm". Please note I gave this book only one star, "no star" was not an option.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2011
So what does this Ph.D. propose? Several times he includes some important "rules" for better sleep. Are you ready for some revelations? How about limiting alcohol, caffeine and other liguids too close to bedtime! Or not excercising too late in the day. Duh. And lest you forget that this book is a "Diet Plan", how about his suggestion to have warm milk and cookies as a bedtime snack. A better way might be to read his book, laugh yourself silly and pass out, while he sleepwalks all the way to the bank.
on October 20, 2013
Nothing new here. Lots of pages with lots of the same information repeated. Did not learn anything new. the end.
on July 15, 2015
I gained almost 40 pounds this past year, although I was eating 1200-1500 calories a day and exercising 6 hours a week. Turns out I have sleep apnea, so maybe this book shouldn't have been able to help me. Truth is, though, I was also only sleeping 4-5 hours a night before my diagnosis, sometimes even less. Sleep, for whatever reason, had become so negative to me, I would stay up and watch stupid tv programs all night long. Until I read this little book, I had no idea that poor sleep could influence weight to an extreme degree. I am receiving a cpap machine this week to help me sleep well - and breathe - throughout the night, but until I was able to get to a sleep specialist (long cross country trip right after diagnosis), I took the recommendations in this book and made myself go to bed at a decent time. Just by making myself go to bed - I've lost 18 pounds! No dieting, eating at restaurants every day on our trip, sitting in a car for hours and hours - and I've lost weight! Michael Breus has made me a believer.
on June 11, 2011
Whether or not one is looking for weight loss, this book is full of good information to guide anyone to a more healthy life style. The Sleep Doctor's Diet Plan: Lose Weight through Better Sleep There is something for everyone in Dr. Breus' book; don't miss it.