5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing!
Published on May 2, 2007 by Mairin Looney

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible and Misleading
Published on May 28, 2012 by Heloise

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing!, May 2, 2007
This review is from: The Sleepeasy Solution: The Exhausted Parent's Guide to Getting Your Child to Sleep from Birth to Age 5 (Paperback)
My 9-month-old daughter had never slept more than 4 hours at a time before we read this book. She would wake up several times a night, sometimes every hour! We tried other methods, but they didn't work. Finally, we decided to try a new method, and after pouring over every book in the parenting section of the bookstore, I decided that this one seemed like the one for me. I liked how the authors were very sensitive to parents who, like myself, were resistant to letting babies cry. We were prepared for the worst, and figured that we would have a terrible week ahead of us, maybe longer. The first night, she fell asleep after 30 minutes and only woke up once during the night. The second night, it took her 17 minutes and she never woke up. Last night (the third night), she fell asleep after 7 minutes and slept for 12 hours straight! We were amazed, and refreshed, since we'd gotten the first full-night of sleep that we've had in 9 months! It also works wonders for naps. We are now like a new family, with a happy, rested baby, and parents who are not exhausted all of the time. By the way, I have never written a review of anything before, so for me to be writing this is a REALLY big deal! Try this if you are a desperate parent, it really does work, and FAST! If it works for our baby, it will work for yours.

*** Note: After posting my review, I noticed that several new reviewers refer to this method as "lazy parenting", and seem to be of the opinion that this method is the worst thing for your baby. This may be true for them, but I just have to respond by saying that my baby is much happier now that we have been doing this method for a week- when I put her down at night, she is smiling, and does not cry at all, but just rolls over and goes to sleep for 12 hours. Before, when she was waking every few hours, she was cranky most of the time. Since she would go through 3-4 bottles a night (which, at 9 months, she definitely did not need!), she would not eat for most of the morning, and her naps were a nightmare! As a result, we had a baby who was overtired and not eating well during the day (and, as a result, getting most of her nutrition from formula instead of food, which she needs at this age). Now, she wakes up cheerful and well-rested (and, I might add, always happy to see us, even though we'd "abandoned" her), eats solid meals during the day, naps regularly, and is much more adjusted. My husband and I also have more energy to spend with her when we get home from work, since we're no longer only getting 4 hours of sleep, which I think is also a huge benefit for her. I was always against the "cry-it-out" method as well, but this really isn't about that, and it gets results very quickly. By the way, I have read Dr. Sears, and tried "The No-Cry Sleep Solution", and neither of them did any good. This will work very well for some people, but not for others, and I think that's OK.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a miracle - Updated, May 23, 2009
I have literally read what seems to be every "baby sleep" book on the market. I was at my wits end as to how to get my 7 month old (20 lbs) baby to sleep through the night. I knew she could do it, but I didn't know how to do it.

We tried to let her cry it out, since it seemed like everyone I talked to had done it. But after a few days and hours of crying, I knew it wasn't working. And it was hard on everyone. Then came this book. After I read it I knew it was for us.

Our 7 month old woke up 2x per night for 8-9oz of milk each feeding. She never woke up for 1-2oz or just to be cuddled. She ate 1/2 of her daily milk intake between the hours of 9pm and 7am. So, I felt like CIO was starving her. This book helps you to wean your baby off of their feedings. We started with the weaning on the first night, decreasing her normal bottle size by 1 oz. One night she cried (whimpered) for 45 minutes. Then went back to sleep. Another night (the night that the 2nd feeding was dropped to 0 oz), she whined off and on for 3 hours. That was the only hard night that we had, thankfully. She wasn't hungry, but was so used to waking up for food that I think she got mad that things were changing. Each night we decreased her food by 1 oz per bottle. And during the day she miraculously ate a little bit more each day. I couldn't believe it. We tried to "pump her full of food" during the day before, but she wouldn't eat!

Now, 1 week later, we are all sleeping peacefully. For the past 3 nights, she has slept 12 hours without waking up once. She eats ALL of her needed milk during the day. Even writing this, I can't believe that it actually worked. She wakes up happy, eats well, and we are all better rested. I'm so glad that I chose this method.

Now, onto my suggestions and changes to the book:

--It tells you to work on the naps at the same time as the night sleep. That didn't work for us. She was still needed longer naps and the book's schedule didn't work until she was actually sleeping 12 hours at night. Now we are working on a flexible nap schedule.

--Our baby could already put herself to sleep before we started this program. We don't need to rock her or give her a bottle. We put her in the crib with a pacifier, and she lulls herself to sleep. We taught her to do this months ago. If your baby cannot do that, I would suggest teaching them that first (using the method of your choice) and then working on weaning them off of milk. I think it might be too hard to do it at the same time.

--Make sure and track how much your baby is eating during your current routine. Then, continue to track it during this program. The program suggests this, but I found it most important during the final stages of the weaning because I had to make sure she was getting enough milk during the day.

If your baby takes full meals during the night, TRY THIS BOOK! It was the only book that I read that addressed the issue of full meals at night and I'm grateful to the author's! Also - no matter which method you choose, do what you feel is best for your baby. I started thinking that 'whatever the books says, I have to do'. All babies are different and what works for some, might not for others. Change the program to fit your baby. Good luck!

***Update 7/2010 -- Over a year after I wrote this initial review, I still stand by it. We reverted back to night feeding a couple of times, but restarted the process from the book and went right back to sleeping well. She has been a sick baby and sometimes milk in the middle of the night was all she needed to soothe her. After she was better, if she still woke for milk, we weaned her off it. There was no crying this time - it was just a matter of shifting her milk intake to the daytime. Now at 21 months, she hasn't eaten in the middle of the night in a long, long time. I don't know when that would have stopped had we not used this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars It WORKS! Definitely Recommend!, January 10, 2013
Fritzee24 (St. Louis, MO) - See all my reviews
This book is an easy, quick read and the program works. I've read several other baby sleep books, both cry and no-cry, and I think this book offers the simplest plan to follow with the least crying possible. It also provides lots of advice for special situations (teething, travel, illness, etc...) If you'd like to hear about my results, keep reading.

First, a little about my baby. Our son slept in a co-sleeper until he outgrew it at eight weeks. We moved him to a crib and he routinely slept from 6:30pm to 1am when he woke for a feeding. He would then sleep until four or five am when I would take him into our bed for another feeding a few more hours sleep. When he got to about three and a half months old he started waking every hour or two, every night. At first I thought it was sleep regression and I hoped it would pass. It didn't, and by the time he was four months old, I was sleeping with my son every night and taking every nap with him during the day. This went on for three and a half months, until we started sleep training last weekend.

Second, a little about me. I was DETERMINED not to let my baby cry. I'm an admirer of Dr. Sears and mostly agree with the fundamentals of attachment parenting. I did read Elizabeth Pantley's book and Tracy Hogg's book. I did try both their methods, but my son seemed confused and frustrated by their methods. I had accepted the possibility that I would have to sleep with my baby until he learned to sleep on his own, however long that would take. Then one night I had a realization, my son was crying EVERY night, multiple times per night. The few hours he would sleep in his crib, he would cry just about every hour. It wasn't much better in the middle of the night when my son was with me, he would have at least one crying episode per night, sometimes two. I also started to notice how frustrated my son was that he couldn't sleep on his own. I would rush into his bedroom when he would cry, I'd pull him out of the crib and I HAD to breastfeed him back to sleep, every time. I could see that this sleep ritual was not ideal for either of us. Despite sleeping with him every night and taking three naps a day with him, he was not getting enough rest, I see that now. Like I said, I was DETERMINED not to let my baby cry but my baby was crying all the time. That is when I decided to make a change.

Okay, now my results.

Night One
Put to bed at 7pm. Cried 31 minutes before falling asleep. Slept 33 minutes before waking and crying for another 8 minutes. Slept for 55 minutes and then woke and cried for most of an hour. Slept for about a half hour and then woke and cried for nine minutes. Fell asleep at 10:36pm and slept until 3:20 am, woke and cried for ten minutes and then slept until 6:25am.

Day Two (Naps)
Put to bed at 8m. Cried 23 minutes before falling asleep for 35 minutes.
Put to bed at 10:15. Cried 15 minutes before falling asleep for 65 minutes.
Put to bed at 2:37pm. Cried 15 minutes, slept 45 minutes.

Night Two
Put to bed at 7pm. Cried 6 minutes. Woke once at 10pm and cried for four minutes, slept until 6:40am.

Day Three (Naps)
Put to bed at 9am, cried for less than one minute and slept for 50 minutes
Put to bed at 12pm, cried on and off for 25 minutes, slept for 35 minutes
Put to bed at 3pm, cried on and off for 24 minutes, slept for 34 minutes.

Night Three
Put to bed at 7pm, cried for 17 minutes. Woke at 11:10pm and cried for 15 minutes. Woke at 3am and cried for 15 minutes. Woke 5:33am for the day, did one check but waited until 6am to take him from his crib.

Day Four (Naps)
Put to bed at 8am, cried for less than a minute, slept for 30 minutes, woke and cried for 17 minutes, slept for 46 more minutes.
Put to bed at 12pm, cried less than a minute, slept for 36 minutes, woke and cried for 10 minutes, slept for 40 more minutes.
Put to bed at 4pm, cried for five minutes, slept for 33 minutes.

Night Four
Put to bed at 7pm, no crying. Woke three times in that night, whimpered less than five minutes each time and went to sleep on his own. Woke at 6:20.

Day Five (Naps)
Put to bed at 8am, no crying. Slept for 32 minutes, woke and cried for 13 minutes, went back to sleep for 6 minutes.
Put to bed at 11:30, 1 minute of crying. Slept for 30 minutes, woke and cried for ten minutes. Went back to sleep for 20 minutes.
Put to bed at 3pm, less than a minute of crying. Slept for 35 minutes.

Night Five
Put to bed at 7pm, less than a minute of crying. Woke at 3am and cried for ten minutes. Woke for the day a 6:20.

Day Six (Naps)
Put to bed at 8am, less than one minute of crying, slept 2 hours.
Put to bed at 12:30, less than one minute of crying, slept 45 minutes.
Put to bed at 4pm, less than one minute of crying, slept 45 minutes.

Night Six
Put to bed at 7pm, about three minutes of crying. Baby woke three times during the night but went back to sleep on his own in less than five minutes. Woke for the day at 5:45, cried until I took him from his crib at 6am.

Day Seven (Naps)
Put to bed at 8am, no crying, slept for two hours. (I woke him from this nap to protect the following nap)
Put to bed at 12:30, no crying, slept for one hour, 15 minutes (I woke him from this nap to protect the following nap)
Put to bed at 4:15, two minutes of crying, slept for 25 minutes. (I woke him from this nap to protect night sleep)

Night Seven (Tonight)
Put to bed at 7pm, less than a minute of crying.

Summary
Tomorrow it will be a week since we started. Not only is our son sleeping in his crib for all of his naps and nights, but he is taking full naps and sleeping about eleven hours at night with very little crying. I think my son was a little confused the first couple of days and he was not quite himself. I was a little worried but the last couple of days he is happier than I've ever seen him. He is happy and alert without any fussiness, which is great to see. I definitely recommend this book. I also purchased the DVD so that my husband could get familiar with the program before we started sleep training.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible and Misleading, May 28, 2012
This is a terrible book. It bills itself as the "least cry solution" and seems like it is a gentle approach to encouraging your child to settle herself to sleep. It is not. It advocates a controlled crying approach where you let your child cry (with regular check-ins) until she falls asleep. Philosophically, I don't have a problem with this approach if it works for your family. What I do object to is the fear-mongering in this book. It says that continuing a no-cry approach which hasn't worked yet "crosses the line from temporary frustration to unnecessary, intermittent neglect". They also say that failing to leave your baby to figure out sleep on her own is akin to completing her math homework. This manipulative clap-trap prays on parental anxiety. I know I fell victim to it as did many of my friends.

Of course, this approach did not work for our family. My daughter would cry for over two and a half hours before she collapsed in exhaustion. During the day our daughter cried hysterically every time my husband or I left the room, even if the other parent was still present. She also cried hysterically every time we tried to lay her down. Diaper changes were impossible. Our daughter didn't learn to settle herself to sleep. She learned to fear being alone and lying down. She was miserable and clingy. It took several days after we stopped this program for her to return to her sweet, smiley, self. I am embarrassed that we continued on with the program for several days and nights even though we knew it was causing everyone in our family terrible discomfort. We stuck with it because we were susceptible to the guilt laid out in this book. We wanted the best thing for our child, even if it was hard. Our friends had similar experiences.

We tried the "No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantly and our daughter went from waking every 90 minutes, to waking once per night. She is also confident and happy and there were almost no tears.

Don't let the empathetic tone and guilt inducements lead you believe this approach is gentle and good for your child. It is not.

4.0 out of 5 stars It worked for us!!, February 14, 2010
Just wanted to start by saying that I hardly ever write reviews but because I am well rested, I thought I would take the time to write one! hehe.. It has been 2 weeks and my daughter is still sleeping through the night. It is too good to be true. I really recommend this program to everyone. Like others have said, the book is not ground breaking information, but the plan is so easy to follow and gives you the confidence to make it happen. Here is a little background--- Things started out great with my 2nd child. My daughter was sleeping through the night (about 10 hours) around 7 weeks! She always has gone down for naps and at night with little to no crying. THEN around 4 months, she started teething and got a cold. Because she wasn't eating during the day, she started waking at night to eat. Well one thing lead to another and she went from no night wakings to one ..then two.. then sometimes three. I thought she would work it out, but I was wrong. Finally, at 7 months old, I knew she should be sleeping more that 5 hours at a time. I knew she could do it.. she did at 7 weeks old!!! At 7 months, she was waking up between 12:00am and 1:00 am for a 2 minute snack and then around 3:30 for a full feeding. The book says that you have to work on getting rid of the feedings before you do anything else. It tells you how to do this step by step. I won't go into all the long boring details but after 3 nights of training, she was sleeping through the night again. Last night, I put her down at 7:15pm and she woke up at 6:55am! She also takes 2 naps of 1.5 hours each.
There have been a few nights in the past two weeks that she has cried out, but it has only lasted a few minutes and she puts herself back to sleep. I just wanted to pass along my success and hope you go buy this book and it works for you too. You deserve the sleep!!! Jen

5.0 out of 5 stars Starting Sleepeasy with a Toddler -- Plus, updated review after second child!, August 1, 2009
Just Breathe (Durham, NC, USA) - See all my reviews
My toddler is 22 mo old and, after reading 7 other sleep books during her infancy, I bought this book because I could not figure out how to get her to get back to sleep after her 6am waking AND her nap had become erratic, falling anywhere between 11am and 3pm. Sleepeasy was the first book that explained that the hardest waking of the night for a child to learn how to get back to sleep is the one that falls about an hour before they get up for the day. I started putting my toddler down an hour earlier at night and she began to sleep 1-1 1/2 hrs longer instantly. Now, I am working to get her nap back on track and I find it EXTREMELY helpful that Sleepeasy gives appropriate nap schedules for every age throughout infancy through age 3. I did not know that a 12-24 mo old would have a different one-nap-day schedule than a 2yr old, or even a 3 yr old. Previously, the most helpful sleep books to me were Ferber's Solve Your Child Sleep Problems (which I still reference) and Weissbluth's Healthy Sleep Habit's Happy Child. But, neither of these books gave me realistic nap schedules appropriate to my child's age. For example, if I had known (as Sleepeasy explains) that my daughter at 11 mo needed her 2-naps-day pushed out further, I would have done that. But, instead I thought she was trying to drop her nap (according to Weissbluth's book) and I ended up cutting her nap down to one-a-day... and she began to lose a full hour of sleep every day. I wish I had had Sleepeasy from the beginning.

The only reason I am giving it 4 stars instead of 5 is that I felt the book was too simplified for me. This is probably to the benefit of most people who are sleep deprived, but I am no longer sleep deprived and I crave information about a wide variety of sleep issues the have cropped up over the past two years of my parenting. I disagreed with the Sleepeasy's advice on potty training (to wait as long as possible) and found that unhelpful to me since my toddler has been pottying since 19 mo and it did affect her sleep for the first month. There was no comment of this phenomenon in the Sleepeasy book. That said, it has also been lacking in pretty much every other sleep book I have read, so perhaps Sleepeasy has a leg up for even mentioning pottying in the book. Also, I found Weissbluth's information about transitioning to a big bed and the use of crib tents to be more in-depth than Sleepeasy. I would definitely recommend Sleepeasy, but if you are still struggling with sleep issues after trying it, I would also recommend both Ferber's and Weissbluth's books to fill in the gaps.

*******Updated review as of Oct 2011. Second child is 18 months old now. First is 4 yrs old. ********
I have to upgrade this book to five stars. It has become my all-time favorite sleep solution book. While true that I still reference Pantley's No Cry and Ferber's Sleep Solutions, I think that the methods of Sleepeasy were the most straight forward and easiest to implement for basic child sleep training. I started my second child at 5 months old with some of the methods, even as he was co-sleeping with me (in my bed) at night. It was very useful for naptime to do check-ins and allow him to learn how to fall asleep on his own. I am SO GLAD that I started earlier with my second because, in the long run, it meant waaaay more sleep for all of us. The baby was then able to use what he learned at naptime and apply it to nighttime sleep learning. I did scheduled wakings to night wean at around 8-10 months old (ha! I cannot remember when anymore, since he's 18 months old now).

I had no idea that scheduled wakings would be easier than waiting for him to wake me up. It was SOOO much easier. He barely roused, got a feeding, and then I'd put him back down and not feel guilty if he woke himself 2 hours later and I didn't feed him again. I knew he didn't need it. Then, I gradually cut back on the feedings until he was weaned. As pay off for my hard work, I have a child that has sleeps 10.5-11hrs at night without wakings (except for the occasional waking from teething). He started this at 14 months old, when we finally put him in his own room. I couldn't be happier! I have to stop myself from gloating when I hear my friends tell me that they are still giving a bottle to their 18-month-old in the middle of the night, lest she scream for 2 hrs.
I LOVE THIS BOOK. Get it.

Also check out these books:
The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night
Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems: New, Revised, and Expanded Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars This book saved our family!, December 31, 2008
I bought this book out of desperation when my 4 month old was still getting up every two hours. The only way he would go back to sleep was drinking 2-3 oz of formula. I reached the breaking point one night when he was up every 1.5 hours and I realized he had consumed almost 50 oz of formula in one day! Way too much. He was crabby, irritable and just seemed exhausted during the days, too.

We implemented the book's weaning program (which is brillant) since my son was in the weight requirements for this. It took 6 nights and he shed not ONE TEAR. This is because the weaning program is gentle and the baby does not even know what's happening.

The first night of real sleep learning was the 7th night because he was weaned and would therefore not get a bottle when he woke up. My son had no trouble putting himself to sleep for naps and bed- it was the night wakings we had trouble with so we were nervous.

I won't even sugarcoat it- it was a very, very rough night. My son cried for one hour straight when he woke the first time. We continued with the check-ins as the book instructs. I wanted to give up so badly. It was very difficult. I read the chapter "help for panicked parents!" many times during the first two nights. It was priceless- like someone is sitting there, holding your hand and encouraging you. The compassion and support in this book is unmatched by any other(and I've read every sleep book out there).

So after 1 hour he fell asleep. He woke on and off for the next 5 hours. It was the worst night of my parenting life but I knew that he needed to learn to sleep on his own- that we were harming him by continuing to allow him to rely on the bottle to fall back asleep.

The second night he woke at 12am and cried for only 20 minutes. He woke again around 3 and cried for 5 minutes.
The third night he woke once and cried for 3 minutes.
The fourth night-- nothing! NO TEARS. NO WAKE-UPS.

And he has slept 11-12 hours every night since then (that was a month ago). He is a different child. So outgoing. Happy. Cheerful. Not traumatized at all by that one night of crying.

This program works. It's amazing. I am giddy every night when I put him to sleep because I know I have 12 hours to myself. My marriage is better and I am a better parent to my older toddler (who slept through the night with no problems at 10 weeks).

Listening to your baby cry is torture. But if you can do it just one night (that will be the worst of it) you will allow your child to learn to soothe himself for every night after that.

I was in your shoes once- desperate for answers. I found everything my family needed and more in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, parents can rest at night!, April 4, 2007
This is a well written beautifully organized book that will help parents figure out the tricks of the trade when it comes to "sleep learning." Reading this book feels like having a consultation with a friend who just happens to know everything about sleep. The tone is warm and supportive and the instructions are easy to understand. Parents will thank Jill and Jennifer every night. I will be recommending this book to all the parents in my psychotherapy practice.
Dr. Jenn Berman
[...]
Author of The A to Z Guide to Raising Happy, Confident Kids

5.0 out of 5 stars Success by the 4th night!, January 13, 2009
Jewell (Knoxville, TN) - See all my reviews
As a first time Mom, with a baby that has had tummy issues since birth, her Dad and I have been very protective and we never let her cry more than a few short minutes. After all, comforting and soothing your baby is our #1 responsibility as parents. She never slept well and we moved a bed into her room and took turns sleeping in her room every night so we could tend to her when she woke, which was about every 3-4 hours.

Now that she is 7-months old and 20 pounds, and her tummy problems are almost resolved, we realized that we needed to get some help so we could all function better. After researching for weeks, we choose this book and read it cover to cover. It made sense and offered solid support. We made sure she was in good health, and not teething and gave it a try.

I was hoping for some relief but I honestly was not expecting it to work. I committed to trying it for 5 days and if it didn't work, I was just going to deal with it. I won't lie. The first night was awful! She fussed and cried for 1 hr, and then screamed her head off for 58 min after that. I was a nervous wreak the next day and called my Dr. to ask if I was scarring her by letting her cry. He said no, and that it was important for her to learn to sooth herself. The 2nd night, she cried for only 40 min. The 3rd night she cried for about 20 min but slept 11 hours!!!! I had to wake her the next morning when we had to get going. She's been sleeping for 11 hours, on her own, for a week now!

This book is a treasure. We have a totally different baby now! One that is happy, rested, and feels safe and secure in her crib, on her own. I recommend this to anyone who is struggling. Follow it exactly as explained, try to look beyond those first difficult nights, and give it a chance.

1.0 out of 5 stars cry-it-out in disguise, February 10, 2013
If you are uncomfortable with cio methods, skip this book. It might seem obvious, but I was duped. I was so exhausted, I let the empathetic tone of the book - along with other reviews - convince me that this method is somehow gentler. If it is, it's only marginally. He (my 14 month old son) still screamed himself to sleep. My opening the door and telling him I loved him really only made him more upset. And the book says if that happens, don't go in. So it ended up being the same as full extinction, basically. After five nights, I was a nervous wreck, my son was still waking consistently between 3 and 5, and was terrified of his crib/bedtime (which had not been the case before). I even emailed the authors, because I had read a review that said they responded and were helpful. I got an automatic form email back which basically said if I needed help, I had to pay hundreds of dollars for a consultation. After putting him down on the sixth night, and listening to him cry for 20 minutes, I couldn't take it any more. I told my pro-cio husband I was done with this stupid book, and nursed my son to sleep. I will never do that again. Just remembering it makes me feel horrible. I suppose the good thing about this book - the only good thing - is it made me unwaveringly confident that I'm doing the right thing by parenting my child gently, day AND night. I have no doubt it works for some people, but it was most definitely not for me. I wanted to warn any like-minded parents not to be fooled by the warm tone of this book. Trust your gut.

$14.95 $8.67