5.0 out of 5 stars An Outstanding "Primer" on Investing, January 2, 1998
The Small Investor is an excellent book to read if you are looking for a complete and basic introduction to the subject of investing. I found the chapters on Professional Help and Selecting Mutual Funds to be particularly helpful. A feature that Jim Gard included that I really appreciate is the "Recommended Further Reading" that is at the end of each chapter. It gives you a place to go to examine the subject in more detail than would be appropriate in a "Primer." This book is ideal for anyone just entering the world of investments. Financial Planners and Money Managers should consider giving a copy of this book to each of their new clients. Jim Hagen

4.0 out of 5 stars Great starter, good price, August 31, 2005
pristine (Maryland USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Small Investor: A Beginner's Guide to Stocks, Bonds, and Mututal Funds (Paperback)
The down-to-earth approach of this book ensures that it is more dense than other guides for beginners. Gets you from knowing absolutely nothing to a level at which you can start reading about technical analysis, read financial papers, annual and quarterly reports. Good 'further reading' tips. Good coverage of bonds. Options and futures are discarded as being equivalent to gambling. Parts about the risks of investing, how to spread the investment, and the role of brokers is a little boring, but this really is a good starter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners or refresher, December 1, 2013
Good Starter Book for Beginners.

I first read this book (1st edition) at my public library years ago. I saw an add in my Essence Magazine and I cut that section out and kept it for years before I checked it out at the library. I no longer have that magazine, but I am so glad I was introduced to this book. Years has passed and my library no longer carries this title, so I purchased 2nd edition from Amazon. (It was in the late 90s or early 2000). I said all of that to stress that this is a book that you would want to be in your personal library for a reference guide. Mr Gard explains things from an individual viewpoint, where it is easy to grasp. I have used this information against others to make sure that 1st) I understood what the other author was saying, and 2nd) was the information solid and correct, or was it a 'spin' on some trend at the time. Things have changed a whole lot since both editions of this book, but the background information is the same. And if you are need of a beginners course or a refresher, please check out this title.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for beginners, May 26, 2010
This is a great book on "where do I start?" It covers everything from mutual funds to stocks to bonds and beyond. I do, however, believe Mr Gard is a little wrong in some areas - such as purchasing mutual funds with loads, and higher management fees. He says that as long as everyone is making money, be happy. However, most mutual fund managers do not consistently beat the index and therefore higher fees eat into YOUR bottom line.
This book is once again a great starting place because it explains the basics. Plus, it gives the concept of PIG- Protection, Income, Growth. What do you want your PIG to be?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, March 22, 2014
I recommended it to beginners. The next book you should read is Profitable Investing for Beginners and Couch Potatoes. This book uses advanced techniques simplified for beginners. It includes most common topics in investing including market timing that has been proven working for the last two crashes. If it does not work for you (too advanced?), return it (check the return policy).

4.0 out of 5 stars The Small Investor., December 3, 2013
Thank you for a wonderful book. It's a great book for beginner investor. It really help someone without any experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, December 31, 2011
This book is interesting and the book cover is well designed. Readers should check out Stock Investing Simplified as well.

The Small Investor: A Beginner's Guide to Stocks, Bonds, and Mututal Funds