4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good!
Published on November 4, 2012 by Isabella1217

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Recipes, Awkward Format
Published 24 months ago by Kristin

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good!, November 4, 2012
This review is from: The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
These recipes are like something you'd find in your grandmother's top-secret cookbook. They are made from scratch, with all-natural ingredients, no shortcuts, no pre-made mixes, etc. This doesn't make it a super light or particularly "healthy" cookbook, however. When making the apple cake, for instance, I was shocked that it called for two full cups and five tablespoons of sugar (eek)! Yes, I know it's a dessert and these usually have a lot of sugar in them, but I guess I was secretly hoping I could make everything in here and not worry about my kids eating too much of something. On that note, the author does list a few substitutions you can make in the beginning of the book to make the recipes healthier, as well as vegetarian variations throughout the book.

Here is a count of the recipes per category:

17 Breakfast items
9 Cakes
5 Puddings and Candy
10 Party Snacks and Drinks

The PROS:
* Recipes are categorized very well.
* Ingredients needed are easy to find and usually inexpensive. They are also REAL ingredients, so you're pretty much making everything from scratch. Nothing with weird chemicals in the label.
* The author includes a clever/funny/witty/entertaining short story before each recipe that gives some history/insight into how she acquired the recipe or how she came up with it.
* Each recipe includes at LEAST one full-page, full-color photograph, and most also have photos of the ingredients or a few of the steps involved.

The CONS:
* The "stories", although enjoyable, are occasionally a bit lengthy.
* Recipe directions are in paragraph form, rather than numbered. This, of course, depends on personal preference. I like to see the steps numbered, which helps me keep track of where I am without having to waste time by re-reading the directions to find my place again.
* Pretty much all of the recipes are split between two pages. By this, I mean the recipe begins on, say, page 2 (on the right hand side), and you have to flip the page over to page 3 (on the left hand side) to see the rest of the directions. Again, this is not a HUGE deal, but it has become inconvenient for me when my hands are covered in flour or whatever and I have to flip the page back and forth. It would have been better if the recipes were each spread over two opposite-facing pages. This way, the book could just stay open the whole time I'm preparing the recipe.

BOTTOM LINE
Are these recipes good? Yes!
Are they easy? Yes, but maybe not for absolute beginners.
Are they quick? No, but that is part of their old-fashioned charm.
Am I glad I bought this and would I recommend it to a friend? Yes and YES! :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Recipes, Awkward Format, December 6, 2012
Kristin (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
I love the blog and had a great time seeing Deb Perelman on her book tour, where I was crazy enough to pay MORE than the list price for the book. There are some great-looking recipes in this book, most of which are not on the website, and I look forward to trying many of them, starting with the apple cider caramels. It is definitely not a 'basics' cookbook. The recipes, although fairly simple, are unusual. Personally I like this because I already have many cookbooks coving the basics. My so-so rating has more to do with the format of the book. As another reviewer noted, recipes run 3-4 pages of prose, so the actual steps to the recipe are hard to pick out, and most of the time they are not on the same page as the ingredients, so you have to flip back and forth as you cook. Also, a pet peeve of mine with cookbooks, there is no table of contents or index listing the recipes with page numbers, so while you can see in the beginning of the book that sweets start on p. 193, when you get to page 193 there is no indication of which page 'cakes' starts on. After you shuffle through 90 pages of sweets to find that cakes start on p. 238, you have to shuffle some more to find the recipe for 'chocolate hazelnut crepe cake' on p. 256. It would have been so simple to put a page number next to each recipe on the list. Also, the pictures aren't labeled and since they frequently aren't on the same page as the title of the recipe, you have to go back to see what you're looking at and whether that's the recipe you're looking for. More flipping around. I'm surprised, with her attention to detail and frequent reading of other cookbooks, that this book is so clunky.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cancelling my preorder did cross my mind..., October 31, 2012
This review is from: The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
The "frugal" side of me thinks, 'I can just Google for a good recipe online or check the Smitten Kitchen blog. Do I really need yet another book to add to my cramped one-bedroom apartment, and will I really find new recipes in it that appeal? Should I just wait to borrow it from the library?'

I'm glad that I didn't hit that cancel button because I got it and WOW. I have been waiting for a recipe book from Ms. Perelman and now I remember why. Her photos are stunning, the recipes I flipped through I haven't seen before, and her quick wit and humor translate beautifully in print. The blog, plus so much more in tangible form.

Some might be quick to comment that this is just her blog in print format. I would like to state that yes, there is some overlap, but not much from what I have seen. Plus, if you're a blogger and are producing a print copy, there is some expectation that there *will* be overlap and the more popular or highly clicked recipe posts will make it into the book. If you didn't, you'd hear it from your audience. You really can't please everyone, but I for one haven't been this excited about a cookbook in a long time. There are many recipes I haven't seen on her blog, (and I have been following her for at least 6 years now) AND I love that she includes Jacob in her stories and annotations of the recipes. I find the inspiration to cook simple, healthy, and tasty meals for my little man. I suspect that Jacob is her source of inspiration... AND if your son was as cute as that little future heart breaker, you'd be sure to put him in your cookbook. ** I'd like to also add that this is not a family album. What it is: A fantastic cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smitten about Smitten Kitchen, October 30, 2012
This review is from: The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
I have made the whole wheat raspberry ricotta scones and they were wonderful and the Leek Fritters with Garlic and Lemon...pan friend with amazing flavors. The instructions Deb gives are clear and you understand exactly what you have to do for the recipes to come out perfectly. She gives great tips in the front of the book to let you know what kind of ingredients she uses, so you can replicate the results. I also like the way the book is organized. Basic chapters: Breakfast, Main Dish Vegetarian, Main Dish Meats, Sweets etc...you don't have to hunt through an entire book looking for a recipe because it is organized according to the author's whims.

There are cute little stories, like in her blog that talk about each recipe and they are fun to read. The pictures make you want to eat everything. ****EDIT**** There has been talk that she wrote too much about her son in the book. Let me say, she puts a little snippet before each recipe. Sometimes she puts a blurb about her son in these. It is not obtrusive and doesn't take away from the recipes. So, the people who are complaining about this, are being silly and making an issue out of a non-issue. It is all recipes.******

But, best of all, this is a normal woman who is making beautiful, wonderful dishes, that anybody can make. I love a cookbook that is for the home cook, but that takes your cooking to new levels. This cookbook will make you a better cook, her cooking style is elegant yet down home and that is something that I strive to achieve in my own cooking.

Buy this as a present for anybody who likes to cook (they don't even have to be a fan of the blog) and they will appreciate it as it's just good food.

***1-1-13 Update*** Add a couple more recipes made. The French Onion Soup Toasts....are almost enough by themselves to warrant buying this cookbook. Everybody at my New Year's party thought they were the most amazing thing they'd ever eaten. That's what I love...something easy to make and yet amazing!!!

Peanut Butter Sandwich cookies....also really, really good! I didn't make mine into sandwich cookies as I thought the cookie itself was a bit dry and felt to double up on it would be quite a mouthful. So, I doubled the amount of (very tasty) chocolate peanut butter frosting and individually frosted each cookie. Another hit! I think they would be perfect for Valentine's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adjust review: Almost perfect, November 3, 2012
This review is from: The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
A note: I have had to revise my review up from 4 to 5 stars despite the lack of a soup/stew section because I've now had a chance to make a few things and they've all been total knockouts, especially the pot pie and the roasted chicken with potatoes. I am extra impressed because it's pot pie and roast chicken, some of the most basic and perhaps unexciting dishes, and in both cases I tasted them and said OH MY GOD and wrote to my partner to warn him to get home fast or he wouldn't get any. Today I came home and found he had left the book peppered with bookmarks, numbered in order of what he wants next. If that doesn't get you 5 stars I don't know what can, soup or no soup! The full text of my original review is below:
___
The good stuff: The book's organization seems to reflect a real home cook's interests and needs. It's organized into breakfast, salads, sandwiches/tarts/pizzas, veggie mains, meat mains, sweets, and party snacks/drinks. This is a little different from other cookbooks I've seen, and it's great and practical. It reflects the great strength of bloggers: the Q&A with real home cooks who ask the kinds of questions that might seem obvious or naive to a pro, but that can make a real difference to your everyday cooking -- like, what difference will I see in my dish if I use salt X vs salt Y? "What will happen if..." is the number one question you have when you're cooking, right? Because you have frozen corn, not fresh, or you have dried herbs, not fresh, or whatever other little substitutions you'd like to make, and you want some guidance till you get the hang of it. This book does a great job of addressing those kinds of questions, and presents the recipes with very appetizing photos.

Do you see what's missing, though? Where are the soups/stews? They're not in the main categories, and they're not in the index, either. I found that a bit disappointing and indeed a bit odd. It seems like flavorful, hearty, one-pot dishes would be squarely in this writer's wheelhouse.

This is just a matter of personal preference, but I did not find the idea of spaghetti squash in tacos or popcorn in cookies appealing. I do read the blog and cook from it pretty frequently, so I think this is just a matter of no two individuals having quite the same taste, and unfortunately for me, the areas where I don't overlap with the author made it into the cookbook kind of disproportionately. I can't ding it for that, but am just noting it here so you can check it out for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Cookbook is really, truly WORTH IT!, October 31, 2012
This review is from: The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
I'll be honest, I've waited a very long time for this cookbook. I've been a fan of Ms. Perelman's since a friend of mine introduced me to her chocolate babka recipe (circa 2007). I've tried dozens of recipes on her site over the years - this cookbook does not disappoint! The day I received it (yes, I preordered), I read through about half the cookbook stories (there's an article for each recipe) and flipped through every recipe for meal ideas this week. I enjoyed this format, it highlights why Ms. Perelman is such an amazing cook, blogger, and teacher. Her sense of humor, personality, and attention to detail shine throughout.

Channel this mentality as you consider this cookbook: (as she writes) "Will this recipe be really, truly worth it?"

YES! YES! Here's why:

Amazing Photography
Easy to Understand Recipe Instructions
Tips & Tricks
How-To Techniques/Photographs (even something like weave your own challah, wonderful!)
30+ Recipes for real salads (not just ones with lettuce in them!)
40+ Vegetarian Entrees & Sandwich Ideas
Do-ahead Party Recipes (enjoy parties that you host!)

I'm not a vegetarian but a few of my best friends are and for the vegetarian recipes alone, I would get this book. Here are some of the recipes I have bookmarked for this week: kale salad with cherries and pecans, ratatouille sub, roasted eggplant with yogurt-tahini sauce & cumin-crisped chickpeas, harvest roast chicken with grapes, olives & rosemary and buttered popcorn cookies. I will definitely be making the cinnamon toast french toast for brunch this weekend! There's a wide range of everyday meals but also special occasion meals. Some take time and others are quick. I appreciate the diversity in the set of recipes. If you're not sold on purchasing this cookbook, I encourage you to try a few recipes on her blog and test it out.

Some initial reviews mentioned negatively that her book has too many stories about her son. Well, she dedicated her cookbook to her son (and he is stinking cute). She writes stories about her friends, family, and life experiences. If you don't want that, then I encourage you to find something else that fits your needs. This cookbook has personality, depth, and humor. These are things I want in a cookbook, if you do too, pick up a copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Different Enough to be Really Interesting, April 20, 2013
J. Curley (Southern Maryland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
I am one of the few here who does not read the Smitten Kitchen blog. I received this book as a gift from a coworker who knows I love to cook. So, I began reading with no expectations or preconceived notions of what I did or did not want in this book. You as a review reader, might appreciate that I am not a fangirl, but am instead a fairly neutral reviewer.

So, what do I like about this book?
1) As a former vegetarian, Perelman does interesting things with vegetables that I hadn't thought of, and haven't seen anywhere else, such as the cover recipe of savory tomato and goat cheese shortcakes, pickled celery for potato salad, raw zucchini and pesto salad, a shaved asparagus pizza, and a ratatouille sub to name a few exciting ideas. We are not vegetarian, but we do eat a lot of vegetables and beans, so I love all the new ideas for using the ingredients we adore.
2) MOST of the recipes call for ingredients that I can buy in my small town. Two recipes call for miso, harissa, and farro. I don't have anywhere handy to buy those, but every single other recipe is totally doable for me.
3) The photography is largely fantastic. One photo in my copy is quite blurry, which is odd because the others are all crisp and appealing. The photos make me want to become a better food photographer.
4) The writing style is friendly and natural. While I love Ina Garten and use her books often, she is sort of hoity-toity. Perelman comes across as the kind of girl I'd love to cook with, and then play Trivial Pursuit with after. I like the stories about how she came up with her ideas, but some people might not love the chatty style.
5) The book has a great variety. Breakfasts, baked goods, snacks, entrees, meatless dishes, pastas, pizzas, and more are all included.
6) These are largely recipes for those days you want to hang out in your kitchen- 30 minute meals this is not! There are days when I need to just get something in our bellies, and I don't turn to this cookbook then. But when I want to drink a glass of wine and relax while cooking, this book is wonderful. That's not to say that every recipe takes all day, but the idea here isn't cooking in a hurry; it is cooking for people who love to cook.
What I don't love:
1) She likes vinegar a whole lot more than I do. But that's easy enough to fix by simply adjusting the recipe to what my family prefers.
2) Very few fish recipes. Just one, if I remember correctly. (I loaned the book to the same coworker who bought it for me, so I can't double check.)
3) She calls for table salt instead of kosher. That's just me being picky. When cooking, I use whatever salt I want to use, and you should too. In baking, however, I do use table salt.

In short: if you want to be in-and-out of the kitchen; if you aren't a big vegetable lover; if you aren't a baker; or if you don't like "chatty" cookbooks, pass this book by.
If you like to take some time in the kitchen; if your family loves to eat lots of vegetables; and if you are stumped for original ideas, this book is the ticket.
One more thing: I've made the broccoli slaw for several friends, and all of them have asked for the recipe. I think I've given it out 7 or 8 times- it is that good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice outcome, but some details overlooked, December 27, 2012
M. Martell (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
I do enjoy that the author is fairly picky and that she works out of an urban kitchen. City dwellers do not have room for a lot of appliances and I appreciate that she limits the amount of gadgets needed. The first recipe I tried, however, had a mistake. For coffee toffee it lists 8 tbsp of butter / 225 g / 2 sticks -- but 8 tbsp is only 1 stick of butter. I hope this is the only error I find.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed in the recipe results, July 2, 2013
This review is from: The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
I thought that since I like the blog, that this would be a great book. It has great pictures, and I like the stories that go with each recipe. (However, it is my pet peeve when people talk about their kids too much, which she does.) Sadly, I've made three recipes, and didn't enjoy any of them... the dill & cucumber coleslaw, the chicken salad, and the cauliflower pasta. All of them were bland and boring. I thought they sounded like they had enough good ingredients, so maybe they need some tweaking, but as written, they were very disappointing. There are plenty of other versions of these things that I've made which were much better, so I am not likely to bother with them again. I was also disappointed to see that half of the book was taken up by dessert recipes. That's my personal preference though. As others have said, the layout is also annoying.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the blog, not the book's layout, January 27, 2013
This review is from: The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
I have followed the blog for a long time and was excited to get the cookbook, but once you take out breakfast and desserts there aren't too many dinner recipes, which is what I usually go to cookbooks for.

The book is lovely but the format is pretty unfortunate. As other reviewers have noted, a lot of the recipes are on opposite sides of a page so you have to keep flipping back and forth. I just made a recipe this weekend where the last couple of ingredients were bumped to the second page without any type of "continued" on the first page, and I didn't notice them until it was already in the oven. Bad idea for a cookbook. Proportions do seem off here and there, as well (a cup of buttermilk plus a whole stick of butter in two pounds of potatoes makes for some kind of gross mashed potatoes).

The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook by Deb Perelman (Hardcover - October 30, 2012)
$35.00 $24.39