Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 21, 2012
I'm not sure why, but if you click on the "Paperback" version of this book, you will get the "Activity Book" and not the actual book. You need to click on "Mass Market Paperback" to get an actual copy of the book. I'm going to keep the "Activity Book" because 1) Not worth paying to ship it back and 2) it looks like it might be more fun after we actually read the story. But just wanted people to be beware that they are getting the right book when ordering.
22 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 21, 2004
This is the best book my daughter and I have read in a while. She is 4, and I have been reading it to her every day since we got it. We liked it so much that we had to check out all of the other Julia Donaldson books. We also love Room on the Broom. Both of these are fun rhyming books that tell a wonderful story.
on May 16, 2008
This is one of those books that I could read every night and not get sick of. In fact, over the past three years I HAVE read it every night for weeks at a time and still love the flow of the text.

My favorite lines include, "And she gazed at the sky, the sea, the land, The waves and the caves and the golden sand. She gazed and gazed, amazed by it all, And she said to the whale, 'I feel so small.'" The word "small" is in a smaller font than the rest of the text and is so appropriate for the two page spread that includes the tiny snail (barely visible) amidst a scene of snowy mountains, forests, bears, bald eagles, the sea.

Perfect for teaching the concept that it doesn't matter how big or small you are, you ARE important and CAN be successful. As the snail sets off on his mission (I won't spoil it), the text reads "'I must not fail,' said the tiny snail." GREAT lesson!

Can you tell that we love this book?!?!?
on April 20, 2004
We just received this book and it has already become one of my son's favorites. We had to read it twice the day it came and he is asking for it every night. It is a beautiful book, I fell in love with it the first time I read it to him. The text flows smoothly, the story is wonderful, it shows how even if your different you can get along and help one another. It also teaches that it doesn't matter what size you are , you can make a difference. The illustrations are wonderful, alot of detail and color. Just all around one of the best books I have ever purchased.
on April 2, 2004
My children and I love this book! The rhyming verses just flow beautifully, holding my children's attention as well as mine. I have yet to tire of reading this out loud to them. The pictures are wonderful and we love the snail! Not only is it fun to read but it has a great message for children. This will remain one of my all time favorite children's books.
on February 7, 2005
This book is absolutely fabulous. My 4-year old loves whales and marine life, so a whale and a snail having an adventure was right up her alley. The language is beautiful and easy for my 8 year old to read. I would recommend this book to any parent--it also has the "fable" to it of the small helping the large, when the snail helps the whale who's beached himself.
on March 8, 2007
Another great rhyming book from Julia Donaldson. She does a great range of books and they appeal to adults and kids. They are so easy to read and it is a joy to follow the simple yet exciting stories. She is a gifted story teller and the illustrations are just intriguing.
on June 6, 2006
Mum's opinion: The Snail and the Whale is a delight to read with the rhyming text and adventurous journey around the world. To pick two creatures so totally different in every respect is pure genius and works like a dream. Not sure who got the most pleasure from this--me reading it or the little one listening.

Oliver's opinion: I was so excited to get this book as the title made me laugh. The snail is a cheeky little chap who wants to travel. When I first saw the whale I thought he was going to be frightening as he was enormous. But he's really kind and gives the snail a lift around the world. I felt sad when the whale beached but it all turned out good and the snail got to help the whale out. I can't wait for it to be Daddy's turn to read it tomorrow.

Armchair Interviews says: Our young reviewer from England loves The Snail and the Whale. He's never been wrong yet so I suspect children will love this one. It's recommended for children ages 4-8.
on February 5, 2016
I have to admit, I cried reading this book to my toddler. I've read it to her twice so far, and cried both times. The poetry is beautiful and without overreaching. The story is sweet and endearing. It reminds us that no one is too small to do big things.
review image
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 20, 2013
Rarely does a book for little ones hit top marks on the three things that matter most, but this one does - 1) vibrant, clear, colorful and engaging drawings, 2) rhymes that really connect, with strong measures, sophisticated structure, and emphasis and flow that works whether read silently or out loud, 3) a heart warming story with multiple positive messages, (self reliance, friendship, resourcefulness, nerve, imagination, and a general sense of generous good heartedness).

Perfect for bedtime, the story starts calmly, leads our snail and whale friends through interesting and exciting adventures, then turns into a rescue drama, moves on to a happy ending, and then winds down with a calm upbeat conclusion. I can feel the grandchild drifting off with a happy smile as the story concludes. Plenty to look at, lots to think about - just a solid, satisfying, engaging and rewarding read for both your youngster and, possibly, you. A very nice choice.