5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect
Published on February 26, 2012 by J. Derick Kohler

1.0 out of 5 stars the book sucks
its a very incomplerete book and is really no fun to read.the info that it has is very scarce.certain countries he covers well other rarely any info.don't recomended.
Published 4 months ago by Daniel Dirnfeld

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, February 26, 2012
This review is from: The Soccer Book, Revised Edition (Paperback)
To me, it served as a perfect introduction to the world of Association Football. I played locally when I was younger and had watched the World Cup twice when I bought this last year. It was the, for lack of any better word, perfect introduction. It has a fundamental section in the beginning with a brief history and explanation of the culture, followed by an outline of what the different types of positions (i.e. defenders, midfielders, etc.) do on the pitch and the kinds of players (i.e. poachers, sweepers, etc.) they can be in those areas. They explain the functions and practices of teamwork, various individual and personal skills the athletes have. Then my favourite section is next: "Planet Soccer" in which each country is given a profile containing: the history of the sport in that country, some of the important moments in the national team's history, and then some detailed information regarding that nation's top teams (Manchester United, Liverpool, Paris Saint-Germain, Santos, Flamengo, River Plate, Hearts of Oak, DC United, etc. to give an idea of the teams and continents we're talking about). Lastly, they explain the major competitions, for clubs and countries, including a brief summary of every World Cup.

I have to say, this is one of the most frequently consulted books I owned as a new soccer fan and I still stumble upon occasions to use it sometimes still.

I'd say it was a perfect job :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, February 8, 2011
This review is from: The Soccer Book, Revised Edition (Paperback)
If you're new to soccer, I can't imagine a better book. Applicable to players and fans alike, it covers every possible aspect of the game.

Of course, by covering such a broad set of subject matter, nothing is described in a whole lot of detail. But the detail provided is surprisingly complete.

I bought this book on a whim and I think I couldn't been more surprised or happy with the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book For Beginners, December 15, 2010
This review is from: The Soccer Book, Revised Edition (Paperback)
I got hooked on soccer this past summer with the World Cup, and have been a fan since. So far, this has been the best book I've found for new fans. It's information is presented in a very basic way, but enough information is given so that you have a foundation to better understand tactics, individual skills, and overall soccer culture.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Light Came On, November 29, 2012
This review is from: The Soccer Book, Revised Edition (Paperback)
I'm a newbie to the world of soccer - when I was a kid soccer was played, if at all, by kids that couldn't play baseball. I've gotten into the game because of the Fox Soccer network. This is a great book - particularly for we Americans that weren't raised with the "beautiful game". If you want to get into the game this is the introduction you need. Clear, concise, and worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of info, March 6, 2013
This review is from: The Soccer Book, Revised Edition (Paperback)
A lot of information packed into a highly visual space. Good use of history for those who came late in life to the beautiful game. Would buy again even at full retail price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good primer to soccer/football, August 20, 2013
This review is from: The Soccer Book, Revised Edition (Paperback)
Got interested in the Premier League a few years ago and quickly realized I don't know much of anything about the game. This is a basic overall look at football and will help the new or casual fan enjoy what I have come to appreciate as a fast paced dynamic sport. So if you are like me and lost interest in American football, give World football a go. Now quick explain what "offsides" is?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun book to have during World Cup, June 18, 2014
This review is from: The Soccer Book (Paperback)
Everyone in the family is reading up about each team and country. The special pullout poster of the World Cup is on our wall and my boys are tracking all the team scores. Really helped us be engaged this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great intro book, February 9, 2014
This review is from: The Soccer Book, Revised Edition (Paperback)
It covers the rules of the game, the tactics, player positions, the major teams, major soccer nations, the major competitions, the big players and describes some of the big games. Great introductory book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book. Though a little too many pages devoted ..., August 6, 2014
This review is from: The Soccer Book (Paperback)
Great book. Though a little too many pages devoted to the basics of the sport as opposed to actual world football history.

1.0 out of 5 stars the book sucks, April 26, 2014

The Soccer Book, Revised Edition
The Soccer Book, Revised Edition by David Goldblatt (Paperback - October 18, 2010)
Used & New from: $0.12