5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, good read of the topic of psychology
My favorite book on the topic of psychology. A bit pricey one might think but I would say it is definitely worth the price seeing as it covers a number of interesting topics that one should know of if you are interested in psychology. A perfect book regardless of your current level of knowledge in psychology.
Published 7 months ago by Alexander Schelin

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars...still glad I bought it though.
I got the earliest edition I could (2nd) because I wanted to read the author's "real" thoughts on social psychology without the influence of subsequent events or various other "developments" in popular psychology. (Since Mr. Aronson has appeared to make this book his life's work, with the 137-odd updates ;)
Even the 2nd edition I found influenced by current events...
Published 5 months ago by DONKEY

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, good read of the topic of psychology, December 15, 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars...still glad I bought it though., February 14, 2014
DONKEY (LOS ANGELES) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Social Animal (Paperback)
Even the 2nd edition I found influenced by current events (the Nixon resignation) and an unhealthy focus on Kent state.

This is essentially a fragmented anthology of psychological experiments which the author uses to construe various view points. I think it would have made for a much better book if Mr. Aronson would have focused on specific experiments he personally conducted (like Milgram, for example) I found myself doubting several ideas because of either, lack of information or, IMHO, miscalculated conclusions. I found the chapter-long commercial for "T-Groups" rather superfluous and self-serving, after reading several books on cults, I think Mr. Aronson is advocating a dangerous method with the dangers far out weighing any possible benefits.

Yet, I did find the chapters on mass communication-propaganda-and-persuasion & self justification quite helpful. I can't say the same for the chapters on aggression and prejudice. On the topic of aggression, I think the basic human instinct of survival should have been considered.
And, as mentioned above, the focus on Kent state, particularly a certain school teacher's comments sourced from a James Michener book, were relied on too heavily and mentioned several times. These were comment from one person and Michener is an author who wants to sell books, so who's to say that the quotes were even truthful or accurate? I felt it would have been a lot better to focus on specific experiments and concrete data, not one person's opinion.

In conclusion, some chapters were good, others...not so. I'd only consider picking this one up if you have enough logic to filter out the nonsense.

5.0 out of 5 stars A guide that doesn't read like a textbook, October 22, 2013
This review is from: The Social Animal (Paperback)
I wish all publishers would learn from Aronson. I learned more from this book than I ever have from an overpriced "textbook."

Great for discussion and reflection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Social Psychology Textbook, October 2, 2013
This review is from: The Social Animal (Paperback)
Great book. Doesn't read like a traditional textbook. Plenty of interesting examples that help to explain the concepts more clearly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and to the Point, February 1, 2012
This review is from: The Social Animal (Paperback)
Great book! I want to read it again, and this time take notes. I might read it again when I take a Social Psychology class, instead of just reading it for fun. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to gain self-knowledge. Social Psychology is all based on experiments, experiments in which regular people, just like you or me, do mostly the exact opposite of what you'd expect. The most interesting part for me was how people constantly try to justify what they say and do and what they see others say and do, with dire consequences for their able to question, think rationally, and be open-minded to other ideas than the ones they profess and believe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, June 1, 2014
This review is from: The Social Animal (Paperback)
New book received as described. Quick shipping. Received in time to complete first reading assignments after having little notice of the text needed for the course. The book itself is one of the BEST psychology books I've ever read; see also the companion book/ Readings About the Social Animal. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vital textbook for every personal and public library., April 19, 2014
This review is from: The Social Animal (Paperback)
I read Social Animal in 1976 for class. Read it again in 1982 for repeat of class. I still had my book from those years but I wanted a new copy. You filled the bill. Thank you. I highly recommend this book for Everyone's reading and education. Classic textbook and should be in every well equipped Library

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, February 14, 2014
This review is from: The Social Animal (Paperback)
It covers the topics with a first-person friendly writing and in a very entertaining manner. It sure does learning easy! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars good buy, February 10, 2014
This review is from: The Social Animal (Paperback)
it can fast and in good shape it was every thing I expected it to be I am happy with it .

5.0 out of 5 stars The Social Animal, January 2, 2014
This review is from: The Social Animal (Paperback)
An absolutely fantastic read. I read much of this book before the semester started, and once Social Psychology began I had no problems keeping up with the reading. This book will hold your attention in a way that many textbooks won't.

The Social Animal
The Social Animal by Elliot Aronson (Paperback - May 27, 2011)
$75.25