From the Back Cover
The Social Work Experience: An Introduction to Social Work and Social Welfare
Mary Ann Suppes, (Marquette University)
Carolyn Cressy Wells, (Marquette University)
The Social Work Experience: An Introduction to Social Work and Social Welfare, 5/e, helps students understand how social workers use their professional expertise to help people solve a wide variety of problems and improve their lives. It not only introduces the profession of social work and its fields of practice, but also provides students with a clear understanding of social welfare policy, its history and contemporary issues.
The fifth edition contains three major parts:
Social Work and its Context- introduces professional social work, discusses theoretical perspectives for generalist practice, and guides students in their understanding of poverty and populations-at-risk.
Professional Practice Settings- offers an in-depth discussion of eight fields of practice: family and children’s services, mental health, health care, schools, substance abuse, older adult services, criminal justice, and developmental disabilities.
A Look to the Future- views the future of the profession through the eyes of futurists and highlights the challenges and opportunities that await social workers.
New Features in the Fifth Edition —
- New chapter, Social Justice and Social Welfare Policy , helps students appreciate the critical relationship between justice and policy.
- New Case Studies, including international case studies, new internet research activities, updated websites, and more!
- Updated data that incorporatescensus-based data, Bureau of Labor Statistics projections, social work employment data, research from various countries, and more!
- New Themes of Ecology, Spirituality, Globalization and Social Justice are interwoven throughout.
Don’t Miss these value added options:
- MyHelpingKit for the Social Work Experience: (access code required). MyHelpingKit is an electronic supplement that offers book-specific Learning Objectives, Cases, Chapter Summaries, Flashcards (key terms) and Practice Tests. Numerous other Interactive activities, Video clips, and Research Navigator ™ help to round out this exciting new media supplement. The access code can be value-packed with each new copy of this text at no additional cost to students. Professors should contact their local representative for ordering information: www.pearsonhighered.com/replocator.