1,235 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied My Inner Fangirl
If I had to choose one word to sum up all the books that Rick Riordan writes, I would have to invent a new word. That's my honest answer. If you have never read a Percy Jackson book, or a Kane Chronicles book, or even the Heroes of Olympus series, I have three words of advice for you:
1) Crawl out from under that rock you have been hiding under.
2) Buy his books...
Published 14 months ago by Maddie Holt

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice short story to satisfy us while waiting for HoH
Summary pretty-much says it all; it's a nice short story that satisfies our Percy Jackson craving, and gives us a great crossover while we're at it.

Published 15 months ago by K McK

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied My Inner Fangirl, July 10, 2013
This review is from: The Son of Sobek (Kindle Edition)
1) Crawl out from under that rock you have been hiding under.
2) Buy his books and read them.
And 3) Read his books over and over again until you have drilled every single word into your brain.

If you have never ever ever liked a PJO, HoO, or a KC book, please come with me. We shall go to the nearest mental institution and have your brain checked. I mean, really. Riordan is just to amazing for someone in their right mind not enjoy his books.

Now, this is my honest review of the Son of Sobek...

Some people would argue that the Son of Sobek was "a waste of my money," or "too short for my liking," but seriously. Did you not read the cover? It obviously declares that it's a "SHORT STORY" which therefore, by definition, makes it a "SHORT STORY." It's shocking to me how so many people reviewed it poorly because of this. I found the length great, actually. The Son of Sobek was a great introduction of possibly a budding new series about the crossover between PJO and the KC series. What's better than our favorite two heroes fighting a giant crocodile and then in the end enjoying burgers at a nearby diner? Nothing is better.

The Son of Sobek (as noted in the title) really did satisfy my inner fangirl. It will certainly keep my mind out of the mishap Percabeth is in currently. I really really really really REALLY hope this took place AFTER the Mark of Athena. I just want my Percabeth to be okay... Zeus knows what troubles they're facing in Tartarus! Sorry...getting off track.

Anyways! The Son of Sobek was really good. Some people say that Riordan's writing is becoming childish and silly. Well, to answer this I just have to say, "Uh....DUH!" His targeted age is 9-14 year olds. I'm a 13 year old 8th grader who LOVES his books. When I was younger (maybe...4 years ago?) I had to opportunity to go to one of his events. I actually had never read one of his books at the time. I was dragged there unwillingly by my parents for a surprise birthday gift for my brother. I actually got to meet Rick Riordan. He asked me if I read his books, and I just smiled and nodded. I didn't want to hurt the guys feelings, of course. (Now that I think about it I can say I lied to a famous author. Huh..) On the 5 hour car ride home when I had nothing else to do, I reluctantly picked up The Lightning Thief. My life was instantly changed. His books caught the attention of a stubborn 9 year old reader as well as my 16 year old brother, along with my teachers, parents, and friends. An author that can have dedicated readers in multiple generations is truly astounding. So yes, the age group is targeted to middle schoolers, but that doesn't stop the older crowd from reading. If you think Riordan's books are "to childish," then maybe you need to find a different author.

Out of a 1-5 star rating, I would give the Son of Sobek a 1,000,000. Sadly, the scale is only up to 5, so I'll settle with that. Rick Riordan continues to amaze me with his writing talents. This cross over was absolutely brilliant. It was action-packed, hilarious, and energetic. It's interesting to see yet another POV of what Percy is like. He's not that trouble maker 12 year old that we all fell in love with.

All in all, Rick Riordan has hit yet another home run. Let's just hope there are more excellent books up to bat soon, or I might go crazy! We love you Uncle Rick!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Better Than Percy Meets Carter!, June 29, 2013
This review is from: The Son of Sobek (Kindle Edition)
Carter Kane has battled and won against Egyptian Gods and Goddesses. Percy Jackson has done the same with Greek Gods and Goddesses. If the Greek and Roman mythological figures and beasts can come together in The Heroes of Olympus, why can't Greek and Egyptian mythology come together? Well, speculate no further! In The Son of Sobek, Carter and Percy have to do the hardest thing two heroes can do- work together.

Carter is confident (somewhat) that he can handle the giant bedazzled crocodile that is terrorizing Long Island. That is, before it eats him. being squished inside the gullet of a giant crocodile isn't exactly his idea of a good time, but at least the croc was big enough to eat him in one gulp instead of biting him in half. While Carter is still trying to figure out what to do next, the croc spits him up, right in front of some strange kid. When it is clear the kid can see the croc, not some watered down version mortals would see, he realizes this is no normal boy. Together, Carter Kane and Percy Jackson must get rid of a crocodile that likes to munch on cars and can flatten a house. But there is something more disturbing going on. Something that would send an Egyptian monster right into the heart of Camp Half-Blood, thus bringing together Carter and Percy.

OK, I hate to speculate, but this felt like Riordan was setting up a massive new series that brought together Eyptian, Roman, and Greek mythology. *insert loony squeal here* I hope this really is the case and this wasn't just one lone short story, because nothing would be better than seeing everyone come together for a final series (because honestly, a world where there are no more Kane and Jackson novels to come out is just a world not worth living in!). This was a fabulous little story that gives you just enough of a tease to keep you sated until House of Hades comes out! So fingers crossed. Mr. Riordan, we want a series where they all come together and throw the world for a loop! Puh LEASE?!

5.0 out of 5 stars utterly funny!, May 26, 2013
This review is from: The Son of Sobek (Kindle Edition)
Nothing could be more exciting than seeing Percy and Carter together! We get the chance of having our favorite characters (and heroes) join forces to fight a monster. The way Rick Riordan develops the story is funny, fast and totally gripping, so much so that we end up wanting more!
If this is going to be the first of other stories, I can barely wait!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the way I expected it...but amazing as it is, May 6, 2013
This review is from: The Son of Sobek (Kindle Edition)
Being an avid Percy Jackson and The Kane chronicles fan, I was expecting a rather more action packed union...all the same,I am very happy with the way Rick Riordan has put the story together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected, May 11, 2013
This review is from: The Son of Sobek (Kindle Edition)
It was a great story, and too short in my opinion. It would have been better if it had both Percy's and Carter's point of view. Other than that it was great.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice short story to satisfy us while waiting for HoH, June 21, 2013
This review is from: The Son of Sobek (Kindle Edition)

One criticism, though: it did seem a little... fanficky. That's not a knock against its quality (sometimes fanfics are written by really good authors), but rather a remark about its impact on the canon universe. The way it ends, it seems to be foreshadowing a big impact on both canon universes, and following up on the vision at the end of the Kane Chronicles. I really hope that's the case! :) But there's also a big problem with that... it's never established just how this fits into Percy Jackson's story. If this story is supposed to have any sort of greater impact on Percy Jackson and Carter Kane, then we need to know how, and especially when, this fits into Percy's story. Without that, we're left with tantalizing clues that this will have a major impact in the future, but also left with a sense that it CAN'T have an impact in the future, because this story doesn't fit into the canon universe anywhere.

It obviously takes place after the start of the Heroes of Olympus series, because escaping through the Doors of Death is mentioned. But it takes place with Percy in Long Island. But Percy hasn't been back to Long Island since the start of the Heroes of Olympus series; first he was asleep, and then he was in California, then Alaska, then back to California, and then they pretty-much flew straight to Rome. They never stopped in New York, and certainly not in a context where Percy could just go off on his own to hunt a random monster that was killing pegasi. So... does this story take place in the future, after the end of the Heroes of Olympus series? That's about the only theory that makes sense... but then, why release this story out of order?

So, I'm left not sure what to think of this story. I really liked the story, but in the same way that I would have liked it if it were a really good fanfic. It implied big things for the future, which is GREAT... but it didn't establish how this fits into the canon, which makes the future implications kind of confusing, and maybe even meaningless, which is not great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Egypt meets Greece in New York, July 9, 2013
This review is from: The Son of Sobek (Kindle Edition)
I have to love any of the Rick Riordan books. If you are reading the Percy and the Olympian series, you will want to read this short story. I think it will be a helpful back story when we get into the next book about Percy and Annabeth's time in Hades. While I love Percy, the Kane chronicles are my favorite reads, so this is a good blend of the two

5.0 out of 5 stars Foreshadowing?, July 15, 2013
This review is from: The Son of Sobek (Kindle Edition)
I loved this short story. I've always hoped Rick Riordan would connect his Greek/Roman and Egyptian mythology series, especially because both have a HQ in New York City. In The Kane Chronicles, he drops a lot of hints about the possible colliding of the two series, and I think this is exactly what I've been waiting for!

[Stop reading here if you haven’t read The Son of Sobek yet. Some spoilers follow.]

Rick manages to get the perfect mix of tension, distrust, and camaraderie in Carter and Percy's meeting, but that's no surprise; Rick Riordan is a phenomenal author! What really made me crazy over this short, however, is the fact that Carter left Percy a way to contact him, if he was ever in trouble. I have a sneaking suspicion that this will come into play in The House of Hades. Perhaps Percy will call on Carter while he and Annabeth are stuck in Tartarus? If so, I would guess that the Greek Underworld parallels the Egyptian Duat in the modern world. I cannot wait for The House of Hades to come out now and see how this all plays out!

Anyone who has read the Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Heroes of Olympus, and Kane Chronicles series should read this short story. It’s perfect for biding the time until The House of Hades comes out, and offers plenty of interesting ideas to contemplate. I think any fan of Rick Riordan will not be disappointed with this new installment, and I think it bridges the gap between the Greek/Roman and Egyptian mythology series quite nicely. I hope for more books like this in the future!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, June 19, 2013
This review is from: The Son of Sobek (Kindle Edition)
I'm a big Rick Riordan fan and I think bringing his two stories together. Although I wanted to kill him for the sneak peak of House of Hades, we still don't know if they're alive yet! A must read for any of Ricks fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, May 7, 2013
This review is from: The Son of Sobek (Kindle Edition)
With two different mythologies (and those Heroes who keep them under control) I was really impressed, though I wish it had been longer. Now I just need to wait for the House of Hades...

The Son of Sobek