Customer Discussions > In Rainbows forum

The Song "Reckoner"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 6, 2008 10:35:37 AM PST
Does anyone know any of the background of the song "Reckoner" and what was intended by the lyrics? Whenn Thom songs "dare not speak his name"....who? It would be interesting to know.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2008 10:10:35 PM PST
I don't know the answer to your question, but isn't that the most beautiful song EVER! I weep every time I hear it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2008 6:29:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2008 6:30:11 AM PST
It is beautiful...but I think their most beautiful songs are Lucky and How To Disappear Completely. When he sings "Strobe lights and blown speakers; Fireworks and hurricanes"...I still get goose bumps. But Reckoner is definitely up there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2008 1:38:35 PM PST
Right now, "Reckoner" and "All I Need" are tied for my favorite IR cut.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2008 6:39:49 PM PST
Brett G. says:
I've had this CD since Jan. 1st now, and have actually just now started listening
to this song, and I agree it is a really great song, definitely should not be overlooked.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2008 7:23:47 PM PST
E. Bain says:
Reckoner
Can't take it with you
Dancing for your pleasure
You are not to blame for
Bittersweet distractor
Dare not speak it's name
Dedicated to all you
All human beings
Because we separate like ripples on a blank shore
In rainbows (background vocals)
Reckoner
Take me with you
Dedicated to all you
All human beings

One of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. I also would be interested to learn the background of the lyrics. I suppose "dare not speak his (it's) name" refers to the "bittersweet distractor", but who or what that is, I don't know.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2008 6:29:25 PM PDT
G. Nicholas says:
This is an old post, but the topic is still relevant.
Since Radiohead has recently started to take fan generated music videos for "Reckoner" on their website there have been various interpretations of the song. Listen to the song, and make your own assumptions, then go watch the video that is posted on the website and see how it compares.

Right now the video gives, what I feel, has been the best interpretation of the song to date: the impending doom of nuclear war.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2008 7:39:18 PM PST
S. D. Mason says:
I think Thom and the gang want us to make our own interpretations, much like they did for "Kid A." They all got frustrated when legions of casual listeners as well as critics completely missed the mark (in many ways) with "OK Computer." Personally, I've taken the entire album to be about relationships, break-ups, unrequited love, and the like. Their most personal album, and their best album, in my mind.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  In Rainbows forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Jan 6, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 13, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
In Rainbows [Vinyl]
In Rainbows [Vinyl] by Radiohead (Vinyl - 2007)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (452)