5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable Variety of Music on this disc...
Published on February 28, 2004 by ewomack

3.0 out of 5 stars too old songs
Talvez no era lo que esperada, pero hay un par de canciones que hace tiempo queria tener
Published on March 15, 2007 by Mauricio Castillo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable Variety of Music on this disc..., February 28, 2004
This review is from: The Songs of Almodovar (Audio CD)
This disc was issued around 1997, so it does not include music from the films "Live Flesh", "Todo Sobre Mi Madre", and the latest "Talk to Her". Nonetheless, it contains enough music to soothe the most virulent lust for the songs of Almodóvar's films. This disc was a revelation to me: over the years as I watched Almodóvar's movies, I kept asking "What are these songs and where can I get the soundtracks?" I didn't look very hard, but now I don't have to. This disc has everything. Much of the music here has a very "Spanish" feel to it, particularly the last Flamenco-flavored track, "Se Nos Rompió El Amor". Other songs feature thick strings, open-throated singing and gentle guitar work. Other songs are rougher, poppier, and synth-enfused. Many of these latter songs were either written or sung by Almodóvar himself (these tend to be from his earlier films). This can make for some rough transitions on the disc: the change from the melodic and swaying "Piensa En Mí" to the staccato grunge of "Suck It To Me" can almost be disorientating. Nonetheless, the CD is meant to be an eclectic collection from various movies, so some roughness is to be expected, especially since the songs are grouped by film, and not necessarily by musical mood. It doesn't detract greatly from the CD in general.
The CD booklet contains some cursory information, including movie posters in some cases, about each of the films represented on this disc. There's not much information there, but you'll definitely know which songs came from which movie. The only real thing missing is the original language lyrics. Possibly I have the "American" version of this disc, and the manufacturer concluded that Americans (particularly North Americans) are just too stubbornly monolingual to include the Spanish and French lyrics - or even the translations. Maybe the import version has them. Still, it's a small complaint; the music makes up for everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad to see someone has no appareciation for this music, June 30, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Songs of Almodovar (Audio CD)
It is sad to read a review calling this collection of popular classical songs a tragic selection. The songs in Almodovar movies are so carefully inbreeded in the day to day drama, that by itself they represent a triumph of taste and human sensibility. Some of the songs in the CD were written for the movies. I have not had the opportunity to see those. But those songs that have been extracted from a wide selection of old popular world renown artists collections, represent segments of the history of the music that over the years fancied humanity in different areas of this small world. I am sad that this collection has been rated so poorly and carelessly, it shows that we need to show more Almodovar movies, or other than made-for-the-American-mid movies for which we pay so much money to see, and do not receive a cultural injection after viewed. Please go back and listen to the songs again and ask someone to tell you who Bola de Nieve, Chavela Vargas, La Lupe, Luz, Mina, Monna Bell, Lucho Gatica, Lola Beltran Maysa Mataraso Miguel de Molina, Los Panchos were or are! Then come back and tell people more about what you learned, God knows we need to learn more...

5.0 out of 5 stars A collector's treasure, June 26, 2000
This review is from: The Songs of Almodovar (Audio CD)
Pedro Almodovar is one of the best spanish - and i'd dare to say world - director's today. His bold, agressive and sometimes scandalous films have given him notoriety, while his style and story-telling has matured.
One of the best things from his films are their well-crafted soundtracks. Here you can find almost - and I say almost because I missed "Guarda che luna" from "Law of desire" - all the great songs of his films. most of the songs of the album are performed by legends such as Bola de Nieve, Lucho Gatica, Chavela Vargas, La Lupe, Lola Beltran and Mayra Mataraso. From the heart-breaking "Ne me quitte pas", the breath-taking "Déjame recordar", the angry "Teatro", to the hopeful "Resistiré", this CD is the essence of the emotions portraited in Pedro's movies, making of this jewel a must have for any Almodovar's fan or latin music lover.

5.0 out of 5 stars dramatic, melodic, emotional, I love it strongly!, October 21, 1998
tteng@hsc.usc.edu Jzin Teng (Los Angeles, California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Songs of Almodovar (Audio CD)
I'm chinese. I don't even speak Spanish. But I have been driven by the beautiful music here to learn the language. The pain, joy, human experience conveyed in the music make me wanna sing, cry, vamp...life in its multitude of histrionics is beautiful! Songs no. 1 and 2 are my favorite songs! Song no. 15 is way more hopelessly depressing than Jacques Brel's versions-I love it! The coarse voices, Spanish guitar, images of Almodovar's stories...As an Almodovar fan I have been searching for this CD- a compilation of the music in his films in stores but to no avail..when I saw it on line. I bought it immediately. I am happy with this purchase. I am in happy melancholia over these songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars at long last!!!, September 13, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Songs of Almodovar (Audio CD)
I've loved Almodovar's films since I watched and rewatched "Women on the Verge" back in college (around 1988, if I recall). Music, of many genres, is so central to his movie-making, and through his films I was introduced to a whole world of music (namely, that of the bolero and the ranchera) which I had hardly known before and which have enriched my life since. I loved the songs in his movies so much that I bought lots of CD's of boleros and rancheras trying to track down the pieces from the various movies, whose soundtracks were not available. It was worth going through all that trouble, as I discovered so much more music beyond the songs from the films. Earlier this year in Madrid, I was happy to see that this compilation had come out. Any Almo fan should get it, and definitely anyone interested in getting a taste of various styles (though far from all) of Hispanic music.

5.0 out of 5 stars VIVA LA DIFERENCIA!, November 7, 2002
JOS LORET (TAMPA, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Songs of Almodovar (Audio CD)
I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS CD FOR YEARS! THIS COMPILATION IS COMPRISED OF SPANISH ROMANTIC MUSIC FROM THE 60'S, 70'S, ETC. & A BEAUTIFUL FRENCH CLASSIC--"NE ME QUITTE PAS"--WHICH IS A MUST. I ALSO ENJOYED PEDRO ALMODOVAR'S RENDITIONS OF SOME TITILES. IT'S A GREAT BUY FOR THOSE WHO ENJOY HIS FILMS & A DIFFERENT TUNE. GREAT JOB MR. ALMODOVAR.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful surprise, March 29, 2003
This review is from: The Songs of Almodovar (Audio CD)
I bought this CD not really knowing what to expect: I have only seen on or two Almodóvar movies and so I was not familiar with the music. However, it turned out to be a wonderful surprise. All of these songs are interesting, heartfelt and beautiful. I suppose knowing what the artists are saying helps, but it is worth it to buy the CD just for the music.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must!!!, August 3, 2006
Joe "Joe" (Mexico City, MX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Songs of Almodovar (Audio CD)
A few years ago i discovered Almodovar's films and i was enchanted, not only because of the stories and the wonderful direction, as well by the awesome performances but because of the beautiful music. The songs Almodovar chooses for his films have a double value: first of all, because they are an integral part of the stories, and second, `cause Pedro saves songs and performers who we, sadly, have forgotten.

The songs in this compilation, evoque the very best moments in Pedro's Films, but even then, they have a life of their own, I must confess that ever since I bought this cd (two weeks ago) I've listen it at least fifteen times and still I can't get out of my head those beautiful boleros and rancheras songs in the cd.

Maybe the only flaw of the disc are the eclectic songs by the duo Almodóvar/McNamara, which, personally, I'd take off, however, we are talking about a compilation of Almodovar's films, and we must include them so we can talk of his early movies.

Songs like Lo Dudo (my personal favourite), Año de Amor, Piensa en Mí, En el Último Trago, and of course Puro Teatro and Ne Me Quitte Pas, make this CD an excelent purchase. It doesn't matter the language you speak or if you don't understant note ven a "Gracias" in Spanish, the performances worth it for themselves, music is the universal language, and this is the best proof of it.

Now, about this compilation, we must consider that we are talking about a CD that first came to sell around 1997, therefore (unfortunately) we won't find music from his recent films (Live Flash, All About my Mother, Talk to Her, Bad Education and Volver -Return-), although I would recommend to "add" Somos (by Chavela Vargas), Tajabone (Ismael Lo), Cucurrucucu Paloma (Caetano Veloso), Quizás Quizás Quizás (Sara Montiel) and Volver (Estrella Morente) respectively.

Hace algunos años conocí el cine de Almodóvar y quedé encantado, no sólo por las historias y la magnífica dirección, sino también por la música en ellas. Las canciones que Almodóvar escoge para sus películas tienen un doble valor: primero, son parte integral de las historias y segundo, rescata canciones e intérpretes a los que lamentablemente hemos olvidado.

Las canciones invariablemente me hacen evocar los films, pero tienen vida propia, debo confesar que desde que lo compré lo he escuchado más de quince veces y aún no me puedo sacar de la cabeza los hermosos boleros y las canciones rancheras que incluye.

Si acaso, el único defecto del disco son las eclécticas canciones de la dupla Almodóvar/McNamara, que personalmente quitaría, sin embargo hablamos de una compilación de la música de las películas de Pedro, e invariablemente se deben incluír al hablar de sus primeras películas.

Canciones como Lo Dudo (mi favorita del disco), Año de Amor, Piensa en Mí, En el Último Trago, Puro Teatro y Ne Me Quitte Pas, hacen de este CD una excelente compra. No importa el idioma que hables o si de españos no entiendes ni un "Gracias", las interpretaciones valen por sí mismas, la música es un lenguaje universal y esta es la clara muestra de ello.

Con respecto a la compilación, hay que considerar, antes que nada, que se trata de un cd que salió a la venta en 1997, así que (lamentablemente) no podremos encontrar música de sus films más recientes (Carne Trémula, Todo Sobre mi Madre, Hable con Ella, La Mala Educación y Volver), aunque recomendaría "agregar" Somos (Chavela Vargas), Tajabone (Ismael Lo), Cucurrucucu Paloma (Caetano Veloso), Quizás Quizás Quizás (Sara Montiel) y Volver (Estrella Morente) respectivamente.

José Roberto Ortega Ocampo, Mexico City, August 3rd. 2006.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Disc, October 16, 2005
This review is from: The Songs of Almodovar (Audio CD)
I could do without the Almodovar's compositions but the rest of the songs are fantastic. La Lupe, Lola "la grande" and the monumental Chabelita one disc is reason enough to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Genius that is Almodovar, July 12, 2000
Luis Hernandez (New York, New York, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Songs of Almodovar (Audio CD)
Pedro Almodovar, the most famous Spanish director since Luis Bunuel, has always utilized music in his films for various purposes. Whether to illustrate sadness, confusion, or joy, music has always played a central role in many of his classics. With the release of this compilation, now every Almodovar fan has the opportunity to listen to most (but not all) of the songs played in his films.
While the compilation does not include many of the songs from his most recent films (Live Flesh, All About My Mother) the compilation is an excellent survey of various musical styles (ballads, hard rock, popular, etc..). My only disappointment was that the compilation omitted the song "Pecadora," by Los Hermanos Rosario (this song was played during the dance sequence at the women's prison in "High Heels"). It was the catchiest song in that film, and its' absence doesn't truly make this compilation complete. However, this shouldn't be a reason not to buy this album. Truly this is a must have for any Almodovar fan.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Songs of Almodovar
The Songs of Almodovar by Pedro Almodovar (Audio CD - 1998)
Click for more info
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.
Rate and Discover Movies