1,193 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars It's A Keeper for Lifetime Eating
Published on April 17, 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Great DIET, but the BOOK is blah.
I pulled this diet off of the internet before I read the book. In essence, this diet requires a two-page print-out to adequately follow the diet, NOT A 320 PAGE BOOK!
First, let me say that I am totally satisfied with the diet. I have lost 15 pounds in a month, and that included the holiday season. So, the diet is great.
The BOOK, however, falls short. The...
Published on January 7, 2004 by Just Another Opinion

5.0 out of 5 stars It's A Keeper for Lifetime Eating, April 17, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The South Beach Diet CD (Audio CD)
I started The South Beach Diet with Phase Two and I continue to lose weight steadily. This diet has balanced my cravings for foods high in sugar. I no longer obsess over food or when I can eat again. The South Beach Diet is not based on fads. It is not about eating a diet of fatty meat products, drinking glass after glass of water, eating expensive prepared foods, preparing time consuming recipes, counting calories or counting points. It is about eating familiar, unprocessed foods that are accessible in all grocery stores and all restaurants. Dr. Agatston has researched and developed a diet that is simple and logical. That's why it works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easiest and most satisfying diet ever, July 9, 2003
By A Customer
I'm 52 and have had a slight to moderate weight problem my entire life (about 25 lbs.) Have been on many diets and always lost weight but never could make it a "lifestyle change". This is so simple - I think some those who have given negative reviews are reading more into it and making it more complicated than it is. Who cares if it is a little like the Atkins diet in the first couple of weeks - at least I don't have to do any carb calculations!! I've been on it for 5 weeks, have lost 12 pounds and have lost my usual cravings for candy, cookies, and chocolate. I am able to totally ignore the Krispy Kreme donuts in the employee lounge. You don't have to eat the menu plan - those are just suggestions for people who don't have any creativity when it comes to cooking. Just eat the things on the allowed list and don't eat foods on the "may not eat" list and make sure you eat your snacks and eat enough at mealtime to satisfy you. Yes - once in a while I feel hungry because I've been too busy to eat what I should - so I just catch up by eating allowed foods. Up until now I've always been a "carboholic" and it's really an odd feeling to not need that. I find the Atkins plan too complicated. I have found that most people doing the Atkins plan don't really follow the "rules" but modify it to suit their needs, and I've never met anyone who has stayed on it permanently - so, to each his own!

5.0 out of 5 stars Recent changes to the SB Diet (more dairy now allowed!), January 20, 2004
"sharon5378" (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
Info below is from The Daily Dish (01/20/04) online newsletter for subscribers to [...]
South Beach Diet Updates
The South Beach Diet (SBD) continues to evolve as new nutritional studies and information come out. Recently, the results of new studies have shown that some of the "foods to avoid" may not be as bad for us as the original studies on glycemic index demonstrated. There are also some new, exciting studies about the role calcium plays in weight loss. The end result is that you can continue to enjoy all of the foods recommended for the SBD-as well as adding back in a few of your favorites! Here are the major changes:
Milk:
Old Version:
Avoid all dairy in Phase 1, except for less than 2 tablespoons fat-free = and =, nonfat milk, 1 percent milk, or soy milk allowed with coffee.
Phase 1:
Now includes low-fat milk (fat-free and 1 percent), soy milk, and yogurt (low-fat or fat-free plain or vanilla light/lite only) on the Phase 1 "foods to enjoy" list.
Phase 2:
May add light/lite fruited yogurt as a "food to enjoy" in Phase 2. Note: Since the SBD is still low in saturated fat, high-fat whole milk products will remain on the "foods to avoid" lists for all Phases.
Tomatoes:
Old Version:
Limited to one whole tomato or 10 cherry tomatoes per meal in all Phases.
New Version:
Not limited in any Phase.
Onions:
Old Version:
Limited to = per day in all Phases.
New Version:
Not limited in any Phase.
Carrots:
Old Version:
Avoid carrots in Phase 1 and 2; allowed in moderation in Phase 3.
New Version:
Allowed, starting in Phase 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars This works!, May 14, 2003
By A Customer
I can only tell you my personal experience with this diet and you can take it from there. I have tried several diets and they never worked because you couldn't stay on them long plus I stayed hungry all the time. I counted calories and exercised for two years and only lost 20 pounds and then stopped losing for months. With this diet, I have lost 27 pounds in 6 weeks and am still losing. The best part is that I can see myself doing this the rest of my life. The first few days is a little hard but you get excited because you will be amazed at how little you get hungry. I ate three large meals a day plus two snacks. I definitely had plenty to eat. Best part is that although I occasionaly have dessert, I don't crave them! And like the book says - I lost weight in my belly first (I am a forty-plus year old woman). It might not work for everyone - no diet does but this one is healthy and worked for me. It's worth a shot if nothing else has worked for you - trust me!

5.0 out of 5 stars SOUTH BEACH DIET AND ME, November 28, 2004
In brief, the South Beach Diet was originally developed by a Cardiologist (DR. Agatson) in conjunction with a Nutritionist as a diet to recommend to his patients who needed a diet to help alleviate their heart problems. It proved successful for many of its target audience. It's a low carbohydrate diet that differentiates between "good" carbs and "bad" ones. Simplistically speaking, good ones are found in vegetables, some grains, etc., while those that we can categorize as "bad" are most often found in flour based products (bread, cereals, cakes, etc.) and in starchy foods such as potatoes and rice.

The diet itself is broken into three phases which I like to compare to the gears in a car:

Phase one, the two week phase, is comparable to first gear. It gets you off to a start from a stndstill, and lasts for about two weeks. It is the most restrictive phase, and the average dieter loses around ten to twelve pounds during this start-up phase.

Phase two, like second gear in a car, is used to get you up to full speed in automobile terms, or down to your desired weight in diet terms. It is less restrictive than the first phase, and lasts, as I mentioned, until you are up to speed, or in dieting terms, down to goal weight.

Phase three is sort of like cruise control. You use cruise control to maintain a steady speed on the open road, and you use the even less restrictive diet in this phase to maintain your weight loss.

Yes, as mentioned in other reviews there are daily meal plans for each phase, and some of the foods are expensive and some of the recipes are complicated. I personally looked at these meal plans as guidelines to be followed, not as absolute requirements. I stay away from all the forbidden foods, eat a few more of the foods I really like, particularly salads, and avoid those too complex menus, etc, and it works out very well.

A little personal background, I am diabetic, have hypertension, and was considerably overweight. I am also not young and not particularly prone to exercise other than taking daily (or almost daily) brisk walks a half an hour or so in duration.

Last May (2004) some routine blood work indicated that my cholesterol was out of whack, and my physician said I really needed to lose weight. He thought weight loss might handle the cholesterol problems without my taking additional medication. After some discussion, we, together, decided that the South Beach diet was probably the best approach for me.

I got the book, read it, and started on the diet. In the first two weeks I lost the ten pounds that are expected. Over the next four months I lost an additional forty pounds for a total of fifty. I have maintained this weight loss easily by avoiding those foods that are "no-nos," and I never go hungry or feeling unsatisfied.

Additional benefits are that controlling my diabetes now requires less medication, and my blood pressure has dropped considerably. This is the only diet plan I have ever tried with which I am comfortable enough to believe that I will never return to my old eating habits.

Are there any disadvantages? Yes. I've had to buy a whole new wardrobe due to my six inch smaller waistline and proportionately smaller chest size, etc., and have had to have my wedding ring resized. Other than that no complaints.

Based on my own experience, I wholeheartedly recommend __THE SOUTH BEACH DIET__.

5.0 out of 5 stars An opinion from a nutritionist, April 4, 2005
Sandi (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I have a degree in Human Nutrition from the University of Illinois. I have worked in hospital dietetics. This diet is soundly based on current nutrition science. I removed 14 diet and cook books from my bookshelves after I read this one. All of my knowledge did not help me with the cravings that undermined my motivation for healthy eating. The sound principles in this book, that I am currently applying to my life, have defeated the cravings that made my excess weight an embarrassment to me. One of the greatest surprises to me was how "not hungry" I am. I had no idea of the degree to which my carb choices were making me suffer (hunger, cravings) until I found out from experiencing the difference on this diet.

It is not appropriate to consider this diet to be a modified Atkins - there are some very important differences.

I would have liked to have had an outline of the daily diet plan, but there was a benefit to having to look through the daily menus that were provided. Everyone is going to have to figure out how to adapt this diet to their own food preferences (does any one else get indigestion from green peppers?). Reviewing the daily menus in order to understand the general rules helped me to open my mind to healthier food choices and to create ideas for my own recipes. I suspect that an outline of the daily diet was omitted for good reasons - one of which may be that having to count and keep track is one of the things that causes diets to fall by the wayside.

Any one who desires the benefits of normal weight, avoiding adult onset diabetes and the consequences of heart disease will love this book. This is not another fad diet - it really is a healthy, practical eating lifestyle.

5.0 out of 5 stars This diet actually works, February 10, 2004
By A Customer
To my amazement, it really helped me lose weight at a steady pace. It is really a healthy, sensible diet. There is alot of preparation involved that is time consuming. But if your willing to make the effort you will lose weight. It gets easier once it becomes habit, you find shortcuts along the way. Although fish is really good for you, there's alot of fish I don't eat so I would substitute chicken recipes for some fish meals and still lost weight. I buy the prepared salad blends to make life easy and lots of frozen vegetables that can be sauted, steam cooked in the microwave or oven roasted, just open the bag and pour out the veggies... simple.
Its easy to follow. Just cut out or substitute bad carb choices for healthier ones. Just cut out pasta, white bread, starchy foods such as potatoes, and eat more fiber and protein.
No sugary snacks, sodas or fruit juices, having instead water, diet soda, sugar substitues, sugar free jello and so on.
Its all about chosing... good carbs, foods low in saturated fat, and green vegetables..lots of them. I thought I would be tired on this diet after cutting out sugar and caffine, but I actually have more energy, and I feel better.
The book explains everything, how the diet works and, and inlcudes really good recipes. I really miss sweets, pizza and pasta (which is allowed occasionally) but I'd rather be thin and healthy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, sensible eating and oh by the way YOU LOSE WEIGHT!!!, April 27, 2003
"amazoncomwoman" (Converse, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this book because in addition to wanting to lose a little weight, I really wanted the healther long-term lifestyle Dr. Agatson describes in his book. I just finished the first 2 weeks, and I've lost 8 pounds and an inch off my waist but more importantly I've drastically changed my eating habits for the better. In order to simplify the cooking, my husband agreed to participate, and he's very pleased too -- lost between 10 and 15 pounds but more importantly he's really lost his cravings for food between meals and after dinner. SBD is not just a diet, it's a lifestyle change.

4.0 out of 5 stars The diet is better than the book, October 14, 2003
By A Customer
First off, I can't really give the diet less than four stars, because it is a month into this diet and I have lost 18 pounds (of a goal of about 40 lb) and my husband has lost over 30 pounds (of a goal of 90 lbs). This diet is not Atkins; it allows a far larger palette of foods. We feel we've done well and not felt deprived, though, because we've gone somewhat beyond what the book says in black and white and made some of our own decisions. In general, the book espouses a diet low in saturated fat, one that avoids refined carbohydrates and uses limited portion sizes for unrefined carbs. It recommends a high fiber content and regular small meals as a way to keep from feeling hungry, and that does work. Because carbs aren't cut out entirely, we feel we can stay with this way of eating indefinitely. We haven't followed the menu plans, but we feel we have followed the "spirit" of the diet. And that is my main problem with the book. The editor needed to have made sure that the "spirit" was more easily accessible. Nobody wants to have to study a diet book to "get it." Rules are restricting, but some of us number-heads want easy methods for decision-making.
Among my other problems with the book:
The author uses glycemic index to determine which foods are okay and which aren't. Glycemic index is an experimentally-determined value. Not all foods have been tested, and the tests vary as to whether healthy or diabetic subjects were used. This leaves lots of foods in a limbo of "who knows"? I think he could go out on a limb, though, and suggest similar foods based on their contents of simple carb, complex carb, fiber, etc.
The summary lists of "allowed" or "to avoid" foods for each phase of the diet is too limited. The lists should give the general guidelines used to decide what makes or doesn't make the list, especially with regards to meats and other proteins after Phase 1. A guide as to what is acceptable "whole wheat" bread (e.g., #grams fiber per #grams carb or something similar) would help, too. (Our doctor suggested 4-5 grams of fiber per 100 calories of bread, for instance.)
Coucous is recommended, even though it is a food with a high glycemic index... and that number is on a list in the book! Some editor should have caught that, but the South Beach website still gives menus with coucous on them. (Although many think it is a whole grain, couscous is a form of semolina pasta, a South Beach no-no.)
Whole grains, and especially delicious fast-cooking whole grains such as millet, quinoa, buckwheat(kasha), and bulgar aren't given much attention. Once in Phase 2, reasonable portions of these grains fit very well into that "hole" on the plate where the potatoes and pasta used to be.
The author allows legumes in the first two weeks, but they rarely show up in the Phase 1 menus. If you miss your "starchy" side dish, these fit the bill even in Phase 1. A small (less than 1 cup) portion of black beans with tomato, bell pepper, and "Latin" spices is a satisfying, fiber-rich side... the internet has recipes that are easy and the mixtures freeze and reheat well. (And by the way, we did not have any problem with gas on this diet, even with the added beans and raw vegetable salads.)
The chapter on why the diet might fail you is inadequate. It lists the problems, but gives essentially no help in overcoming them. It may as well be titled, "Why Many of You Won't Lose Weight Unless You Buy Dr. Phil's Book"
The allowed meats for Phase 1 make it a bit of a rich person's diet: the breast only of chicken and turkey, tenderloin of pork and beef, Canadian bacon. Even canned tuna is not cheap unless you like the kind that tastes like cat food. The same goes for ham. The Phase 2 and Phase 3 "allowed food" and "restricted food" lists don't mention meats... are the Phase 1 meats what we get forever?
My husband has also said he would have died on this diet if I had not been home finding interesting ways to prepare meals within the limitations of the food "palette." Still, in a form, this book worked for us. Grocery stores are picking up the trend and offering high-fiber, low-carb versions of stand-bys such as tortillas and even pasta. Unless you need help with issues surrounding your eating that go beyond menu choice, this book is worth a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great diet to lose belly fat, but lacks organization, August 4, 2003
CatD "catd" (Newark, DE USA) - See all my reviews
Like a modified Atkins...lower in saturated fats but not lowfat.
You can put milk in your coffee, have dessert every night, and eat as much as you want. Of course, you can only eat so many calories of lean meats, veggies, and lowfat cheeses. Even if you eat a lot, the calories don't add up as quickly.
There are enough carbs on this diet that you don't feel like you are dragging. And, you DO lose BELLY FAT first! The first week, you will notice a difference!
But you do need to try their very creative and very simple recipes...the "Mashed Potatoes" are great, and the "Ricotta Creme" desserts are good especially the mocha one.
I think the diet works, and it is safe enough to recommend to others. The only strict limitation is for the first 2 weeks, and you are definitely not starving.
The only negative is that the book could use a little better organization or a way to present more of the info in a summary method. I felt like I missed a lot just skipping to the Foods to Include/Foods to Avoid sections and Recipes and Menu Plans(who can follow a menu plan??). Other than the way the book is laid out, I have no other complaints. Great diet!

The South Beach Diet
The South Beach Diet by Arthur Agatston (Unknown Binding - April 19, 2005)
Used & New from: $0.99