1,195 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 stars: Spectacular Wow!
This is a theatrical review. There may be spoilers.

Published 15 months ago by M. Oleson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what i was expecting
This movie was just weird to me and didnt seem to have a real story behind it other than the average life of a high school student. It wasnt what I was expecting. I dont think I would watch it again, once was enough for me.
Published 5 months ago by Irene Cervantes

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 stars: Spectacular Wow!, August 31, 2013
This review is from: The Spectacular Now (DVD)
This is a theatrical review. There may be spoilers.

I think I will have to clear room on my Top Ten list for 2013 for this beautiful little film about two teenagers finding each other. Director James Ponsoldt has affectionately taken Tim Tharp's novel and slowly allows the characters to fall in love while the audience watches. I can't say enough about Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley's strong chemistry together which results in strong performances. Nothing seems like dialog, just extemporaneous words flowing from their mouths.

Sutter (Teller) is a high school senior who is perhaps best known as the class clown. He's funny, easily approachable and fun to be around. He's not a jock nor the smartest kid in school. But he likes school. His biggest problem is that he is drunk most of the time. Sometimes just pleasantly drunk, sometimes very drunk. One day after a party, he shows up on the lawn of a classmate he barely knows. Aimee (Woodley) helps her mom deliver newspapers and her never-seen mom got in late, so Aimee scoops up Sutter and off they go delivering papers at 6 AM.

The casting is perfect for this movie. Both actors (and supporting actors as well) look and talk like high school seniors. Neither are the traditional Hollywood studs and starlets you typically find in movies like this. Shirts do come off, but the setting is right when they do. While I suspect their looks were purposely dressed down, they look...well...average. So does Sutter's ex-girlfriend and his best friend. So does Aimee's friend. How refreshing.

As the shy Aimee and extroverted Sutter spend more time together, bad and good characteristics rub off on each other. Each helps the other confront their mothers. In Sutter's case, his mother (Jennifer Jason Leigh) won't tell him about his father's whereabouts. It's been years since he's heard from him. I expected the bomb to be dropped that dad is in prison or something. You know, more Hollywood. When he eventually gets the phone number from his married sister (Mary Elizabeth Winstead), he and Aimee make the 3 hour drive. Unfortunately dad (Kyle Chandler) is a drunk womanizer, pretty much like his mother suggested.

No matter how old we are, everyone can remember that first love. It never leaves our memory. I can promise that "The Spectacular Now" will give those memories a bit of a jolt. This is an authentic film about young love. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Teenagers growing up: "The real hardship is me", August 23, 2013
This review is from: The Spectacular Now (DVD)
"The Spectacular Now" (2013 release; 95 min.) brings the story of Sutter (played by Miles Teller), a HS senior who is enjoying life in the moment, with no worry in the world as long as he has his whisky flask or other alcoholic beverages nearby (which is all the time). One day Sutter gets dumped by his girlfriend Cassidy and after a drunken night out, he wakes up in someone's front yard (not knowing how he got there). He gets found by Aimee (played by Shailene Woodley), a HS classmate of his. Aimee is the complete opposite of Sutter in every which way: withdrawn, smart, considerate. Yet Sutter takes an interest in her. Along the way, we learn that Sutter is dealing with `daddy issues'. His dad left when he was a little kid. Sutter confronts his mom to try and get his dad's contact details. Will Aimee fall for Sutter? what about the other way around? And what's with this mysterious past of Sutter's dad? why did Sutter's parents really break up? To tell you much more of this plot would surely ruin your viewing experience, you'll just have to see for yourself how it all plays out.

Several comments: this is the third feature film from director James Ponsoldt, who just last year brought us another top quality indie movie called Smashed (starring Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Aaron Paul). Interestingly, alcohol dependency also plays a critical role in this movie. The script is based on the book by Tim Tharp (I did not read the book, so cannot comment to what extent, if any, the movie's plot deviates from the book). Despite the gorgeous movie poster and the cute trailer for the movie, "The Spectacular Now" is at times not an easy movie to watch, in the sense that Sutter is a mostly unlikeable and self-absorbed jerk whom you'd like to give a slap in the face and yell "wake up!". When Sutter gets dumped by Cassidy, his boss at work comments "I really thought she would be the one to yank you out of neutral", to which Sutter responds "But I'm in overdrive!', completely clueless. All the more credit to Teller for playing this character with authority and credibility. But what about Woodley's performance! After playing lead in TV's "The Secret Life of the American Teenager", she burst out of nowhere on the big screen a few years ago in "The Descendants" (playing George Clooney's on-screen daughter). It is Woodley's screen time that makes this movie as enjoyable as it is in the end. And if you wonder about that quote I put in my review title: just watch the movie...

This movie made a splash when it debuted at the Sundance film festival earlier this year, and it's easy to see why. So glad this finally made it to Cincinnati. This opened here today at the local art-house theatre, and the matinee screening that I saw this at was very well attended, I am happy to say. I read somewhere that this movie was shot on a budget of just $2.5 mill., mere peanuts in Hollywood terms, and proving once again you don't needs a comic action hero or a $200 mill. budget to make a movie that engages the audience. Bottom line: if you are in the mood for a top quality indie movie that is miles away from your standard Hollywood fare, you cannot go wrong with this. "The Spectacular Now" is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

5.0 out of 5 stars DIFFERENT FROM MOST INDIE-FAN FARE. A FILM THAT STANDS ON HIS OWN AND HEY 5 STARS AREN'T EASY., February 5, 2014
Every year many indie films come out. My problem with these indie films is the level of varying consistencies of the characters. Most inevitably result in the character TRANSFORMING, there is something that changes the "poor thing" into "something else" While such films may also be entertaining, they lack a much needed continuity in characters. Often many films don't even scratch the root level of their own theory and work on sheer amusement and drama purposes. To add to that ragatag they go ahead and introduce a catchy soundtrack. But seldom are they confident enough to express a determination to grab the full five stars.

THIS IS WHERE "Spectacular Now" shines. The protagonist isn't your run of the mill jock. Instead of frowning about his break up with his beautiful girlfriend, he's excited to see how life will turn out different now. He is happy, ecstatic and anything but nervous right from the get go. Nothing can dampen his spirits. I thought the guy who played Sutter was very intriguing to watch. He is always drinking and is very self assured and comfortable with himself.

The film never jumps out of its frame to grab your attention though it will keep you waiting for that moment where it will surprise you. What really worked for me was the likability of the actors and how different they were from one another and always remained so. The music is lovely, the sets are wonderful, the acting is very good and the director nailed it right from the get go. You will love it, trust me. Worth owning.

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid streamer, May 29, 2014
Cute movie, Shailene Woodley is great in this movie that covers a lot of relevant topics about addiction, family life, and relationships. It's not the happiest movie, but my wife and I agreed it was a good date night movie in the end.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what i was expecting, June 20, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Quietly powerful, May 29, 2014
This review is from: The Spectacular Now (Amazon Instant Video)
Going into this movie I worried that it could end up as a bit of an after-school special. But what makes this film interesting is that the characters just live their lives, while we as an audience reflect on the significance of their actions and choices. The film never resorts to telling us what to think or forcing specific judgements on the audience. Five people could watch this film and believe the story was about five different things. They might even disagree about whether it ended on a positive or negative note. Not in-you-face emotional or dramatic, just quietly real.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kind of a let down..., June 20, 2014
Don't get me wrong, the actors in this movie are top notch, no doubt. I just think, for me anyway, the movie just wasn't as great as it could be... Strangely paced with an almost unconvincing message... i don't know, maybe I just built it up too much in my head.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great lead actor, boring movie., February 23, 2014
95 minutes but felt more like 4 hours. I thought the very beginning and the very ending were really god but in between, no. Boring movie about a high school senior who is an alcoholic who feels like no one cares.

Soundtrack was practically non-existent. I think appropriate music would have made it a much better movie. I did love the lead actor Miles Teller, who was perfect for the role, and it was awesome to see Kyle Chandler (Early Edition) in his small role (but you have to make it that far in the movie first), and "Saul" from BB makes a short appearance :).

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, July 25, 2014
This move is abysmal. The actors are good at portraying immature high schoolers, but this movie is sad, depressing, and ultimately pointless. Zero character development, the woman we think is strong and intriguing turns into an alcoholic as soon as a wasted, popular boy steps into her lonely life, and this boy is so confused about his life that you're left wondering how this movie even stretched over 30 minutes. I am sad I wasted my time watching this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so spectacular, June 19, 2014
The acting was great, it's just that there were no redeeming quailities for the lead character in my opinion. The relationship was dysfunctional and very healthy...I couldn't feel happy for them. Would have liked to have seen more resolution.

The Spectacular Now