5.0 out of 5 stars Clipped Audio Fixed!
Published on June 24, 2005 by kyspentay2

2.0 out of 5 stars I Love This Album, But.....
Published on May 9, 2000 by Kyle T.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clipped Audio Fixed!, June 24, 2005
kyspentay2 (Central GA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Spirit of '67 (Audio CD)
Earlier reviews of this CD made reference to a problem involving distortion caused by clipping. Well, I'm very pleased to report that Sundazed HAS corrected this problem on all three of the PR&TR CDs they released in 1996. You might still want to be careful, however, when purchasing this CD. Bad copies may still be floating around the marketplace. To distinguish good copies from bad without even removing the cellophane wrapper, look carefully at what name is written directly above (or, in the case of "Something Happening", below) the CBS "eye" logo on the front cover. If it says "Columbia" there, you have a good copy. If it says "Sundazed" there instead, you have an older copy that may be bad.

As for the artistic content of this CD, I think this is The Raiders' finest album. Even "Collage" doesn't pass the repeated-listening test as well as this one. The late Terry Melcher was at the top of his game when he produced this gem. Thank you, Sundazed, for repairing the audio deficiencies in this release.

2.0 out of 5 stars I Love This Album, But....., May 9, 2000
Kyle T. (Central GA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Spirit of '67 (Audio CD)
...somehow Sundazed screwed up the remastering. Several tracks sound overmodulated. It's the same sound you get when you overload a digital recorder, and I suspect that's what happened somewhere along the line when this CD was made. It is a loud CD. It's frustrating because it's obvious that Sundazed used the session tapes. If not for the added distortion, this would be a great sounding CD from start to finish. If this had happened to one of the Beatles CDs, the problem would have been corrected by now. But since it's "only" a Raiders album, I guess we just have to put up with this sloppiness. By the way, Sundazed did do a "fix" on their "Revolution" CD, which had the same problem. The noise was very obvious on that release, so I guess Sundazed felt they had to redo it. As for the other PRR CD they released in '96, "Something Happening", it has the same problem and apparently no fix has been done. Luckily, some cuts on "Happening" are totally free of the noise.

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest Raiders album, by far, March 15, 2006
David Goodwin (Dunhaven, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Spirit of '67 (Audio CD)
This is the album I wanted "Headquarters" to be. With all of the retroactive respect generously ladled on various "lesser" 1960s groups nowadays--The Association, the aforementioned Monkees, anything related to Curt Boettcher--it's somewhat surprising that the Raiders haven't experienced a similar hip renaissance. Part of this is likely due to Mark Lindsay's teen idol persona, or the fact that the Raiders' career trajectory goes from deeply respectable (they started out as a fierce little pre-Beatles Northwest rock band) to very, very mainstream.

If the Raiders ever do get their due, though, this album will be at the epicenter. To be sure, the Raiders had released plenty of quality output--and not just on singles--before Spirit of '67. But never before and never after would the band hit a consistently high standard of quality.

Yes, to a certain degree the album is prefab (studio musicians make up the bulk of the instrumentalists, and producer Terry Melcher compositionally assists a few tracks), but it hardly matters; the songs are excellent, the playing convincing, and the attitude still intact. The two big hits ("Hungry" and "Good Thing") are excellent, but everything else is pretty spot-on as well, from the Stonesy "The Great Airplane Strike" to the best-Eleanor-Rigby-alike-tune-EVER "Undecided Man." Not nearly enough praises have been sung about "All About Her," where Lindsay gives one of his best performances. And while Mark dominates the proceedings, the other members get their vocal turns as well, and "Why? Why? Why?" is Fang's best showcase with the group.

Again, this is the album I wanted "Headquarters" to be. It's inconsequential, doesn't make a statement, and is a bit silly (the "Indian drone" on Arabian Nights). This matters not one bit, as "Spirit of '67," short as it may be, is one of the most enjoyable albums of the mid sixties. If you're going to buy one Raiders album, make this it.

3.0 out of 5 stars As I remember...., April 24, 2000
Kendal Paget (Tallahassee,Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Spirit of '67 (Audio CD)
Were they the darlings of the radical left? Did they dictate new trends in society? Did the press hang on their every spoken word? Well,no.Did they rock? Well,yes they did! I liked them because they could blend rock with pop,put on a great show and not appear too "Monkey-ish." Although,this album came out the same year as the epic Beatles' Sgt.Pepper - there would be little use in comparing the two.Still,I like it."The Great Airplane Strike" was a stereo dream,two distinct guitars from each speaker.A roaring jet engine that sent the cat wildly searching for cover,my parents looking up to the sky.I liked it."Our Candidate" was a good old rocker,that lent itself easily to a young guitar player;searching for those three chords was a continuing pleasure."Louise" could,and should have been a single;"In My Community" almost as worthy...and even somewhat hip to a Beatle song theme.(of that era)Some of the stuff was clearly just filling space ("Why,Why,Why?" "1001 Arabian Nights") Still,there was some power pop,mixed with some interesting works as well as the basic Raider Rock 'N Roll. The hits "Good Thing" "Hungry" and my favorite,"The Great Airplane Strike";as I remembered it as an album...and now as a C.D.- I still like it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Clipped Audio STILL NOT Fixed!, June 24, 2012
This review is from: The Spirit of '67 (Audio CD)
To be clear, this review reflects the CD, not the music.

Varied reviews of this CD made reference to a problem involving distortion caused by tracks being overmodulated, or "recorded too hot" in industry terms.

-->> Sad to report the problem is still present in CDs as late as June 2012.

Not all of the songs are ruined, but "Hungry" certainly is - and to me is the best song on the album (music wise), which makes this especially disturbing, since, now what do I do? Shall I turn to a bootleg source to acquire clean recordings of the tracks that are marred? This is nuts!

I'm burned, but not as badly as this CD was burned. ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Raiders' Best Album - Magical and Highly Underrated, January 1, 2011
Fr. Charles Erlandson (Tyler, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Spirit of '67 (Audio CD)
1967 was the anno mirabilis - the "year of miracles" or "year of wonders" in pop music. Of course you had "Sergeant Pepper's" and all of its innovations, psychedelic and otherwise. But you also had the debut albums of The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, The Left Banke, The Grateful Dead, as well as albums like "Forever Changes" by Love, "Surrealistic Pillow" by the Jefferson Airplane, "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" by Pink Floyd, "The Velvet Underground," "Days of Future Passed" by the Moody Blues, "Easter Everywhere" by the Thirteenth Floor Elevators, "Electric Comic Book" by the Blues Magoos, "Moby Grape," and on and on.

And my favorite album of 1967 (OK, actually is was November 1966) is none of the above but is instead "The Spirit of `67" by Paul Revere & the Raiders. Maybe it's a personal and nostalgic thing with me, but this album gets to me in a way that no other album does. Yes, some of it has to do with the heady days of the early 70s when I was discovering the wonders of 60s rock music along with my older brother and sometime guide.

But I also have my objective reasons. While many dismiss The Raiders as bubblegum lightweights, their reputation is gradually being restored as a band that produced some of the best singles and a few great albums in the 60s. "The Spirit of `67" is the best Raiders' album and, for me (along with "Alias Pink Puzz" and "Collage") their finest work.

Here are my reasons this album is so great:

1. There isn't a truly weak song on the album. There are "weaker" songs, but none of them are just fillers.

2. This is the first album where Mark Lindsay had fully developed the range and power of his vastly underrated male rock voice.

3. The instrumentation on this album kicks things up a notch. There is some very nice and intricate guitar playing, for example, and unexpectedly, on "Oh, To Be a Man," as well as on many other tracks.

4. By this point in time the Raiders' harmonies were at their tightest and while they rivaled those of the Beach Boys they were uniquely their own.

The great tragedy is that the Raiders chose not to build on the strength of this album but to go off in a more pop and bubblegum direction for a year.

5. The album is filled with great songs.
"Hungry" has to be one of the greatest rock songs of all the 60s. It's filled with a barely controlled teen angst, and Mark Lindsay's vocals manifest their full dynamic power, moving from sexy and sultry at one moment to powerful and snarly the next. Not to mention the great 60s rock scream in the song.

"Good Thing" is another great song, filled with great harmonies, and presents the nicer side of life in the 60s.

"Louise" is a much underrated 2 minute powerhouse, on which you can hear some not only great vocals but also some nice drums and bass.

Many find "The Great Airplane Strike" to be one of the Raiders' best, although it's not that near the top of my personal list.

"Undecided Man," although kind of obviously the Raiders' answer to "Eleanor Rigby," is actually a beautiful song with lyrics that capture a young man's thoughts with integrity.

Many don't like "1001 Arabian Nights," but I find the guitar work to be excellent, Mark's voice to be very throaty and resonant, and the song itself mildly exotic enough to keep my interest.

"Oh, to be a Man" is another sleeper. It seems to summarize the whole album which is a coming of age album in a way, both for the Raiders as a band and for the young adult or teenager who finds himself reflected in the songs on the album.

Believe it or not: if I could only have one album from the 60s, this would be the one!

5.0 out of 5 stars "...those good things, baby...", April 15, 2010
This review is from: The Spirit of '67 (Audio CD)
THE SPIRIT OF '67 is one of those albums that I cannot possibly write about with any sense of dispassion, for this 1966 release is the record that tore me away from the traditional folk, pop, Broadway and classical music I loved in my childhood and hurtled me right into the mainstream of 1960s music. Like a tree, my interests branched out from there.

I revisited the Beatles (who at the time I thought of as goofy Yellow Submariners) after hearing the classically-oriented "Undecided Man" and recognizing its string quartet antecedence within "Eleanor Rigby." I gave the Yardbirds, the Stones and Dave Clark Five further consideration because of "Good Thing," a tune that -I- considered the 'B' of "Undecided Man."

And my tree of discovery continued to branch from there. The now more acceptable (to my ears) folk rock of Simon and Garfunkel led backwards to Dylan and the Byrds, but then forward with Buffalo Springfield. By 1968, I was into the Vanilla Fudge's RENAISSANCE. And then came Led Zeppelin. There was no turning back for me, and no regrets.

With the retrospect of decades I've lately been revisiting my pre-rock listening roots, but there's simply no denying that the roots of another tree planted with the Raiders' "Spirit of '67" are forever firmly entwined among those older musical anchors.

Here's the first part of "Undecided Man," a song that opened so many doors of exploration for this reviewer.

I've been thinking 22 years all about it
Closer I get to the truth the more I doubt it
Don't step out of your rut my friend
You'll mess the master plan
And you'll end up like I am
I am an undecided man
Look at them, look at you, look at me!

5.0 out of 5 stars "...those good things, baby", April 15, 2010
This review is from: The Spirit of 67 (Vinyl)
THE SPIRIT OF '67 is one of those LPs that I cannot possibly write about with any sense of dispassion, for this 1966 release is the album that tore me away from the traditional folk, pop, Broadway and classical music I loved in my childhood and hurtled me right into the mainstream of 1960s music. Like a tree, my interests branched out from there.

I've been thinking 22 years all about it
Closer I get to the truth the more I doubt it
Don't step out of your rut my friend
You'll mess the master plan
And you'll end up like I am
I am an undecided man
Look at them, look at you, look at me!

PROGRAM--

SIDE ONE
[3:01] All About Her
[2:09] In My Community
[2:08] Louise
[2:57] Why? Why? Why? (Is It So Hard)
[3:02] Oh! To Be A Man

TOTAL PLAYING TIME: 28:23

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul Revere's Best Album, September 7, 1998
David Fechtmeyer (Lake Worth, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Spirit of '67 (Audio CD)
I was thrilled to see this album reissued in it's entirety, with bonus tracks yet. This album produced 4 hit singles - Good Thing, Hungry, Undecided Man, and the Great Airplane Strike. The other songs are typical Raiders cuts and show them at thier best. Pure, Raw RAIDER ENERGY unleashed. A MUST HAVE for any Raiders Fan, and a neccesary additon to any serious 60's collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raiders' Best Effort, December 27, 2011
This review is from: The Spirit of '67 (Audio CD)
Back in the day (the sixties, when I was a teen) the Raiders were one of the few American bands that could compete with the British Invasion. However, I was not a big fan of theirs at the time. Singles "Just Like Me" and "Kicks" were good, but the albums were lacking in originality. Then came "The Spirit Of '67". I still have some of these tunes (the 'non hit' ones) rattling in my brain. A very good effort in songwriting and engineering, with excellent vocals and guitar tone. I am glad that this album is available on CD, as the Greatest Hits compilations omit the good obscure tunes that help define the quality of this work.

The Spirit of '67
The Spirit of '67 by Paul Revere & The Raiders (Audio CD - 1996)
Rate and Discover Movies