Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on April 9, 2006
To put this review into perspective for you, it is written by a serious student of cooking that has been actively studying food on their own for 25 years. I have been focusing on Italian food for the last 10 years. My favorite cookbook is "The Professional Chef" by the Culinary Institute of America.

I purchased this book on a whim prior to embarking on a vegetarian lifestyle because I love to cook with alcohol and wanted to add more healthy meals into our family diet. I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed this book from day one.

The author includes a nice wine chart in the front of the book for those of you that aren't familiar with all types of wine. I found it handy since I tend to stick to the Italian wines.

Once I saw the recipe for Limoncello (a family staple in our home) I was hooked. If you have never made this yourself give it a try. The recipe is very simple and the end result is addicting. The recipe for spaghetti with beets is amazing. I never liked beets until I made this dish. It now reappears monthly in my home. Likewise, the chilled prosecco and melon soup is wonderful. It is such a refreshing start to a meal on a hot day. How about a Sangria fruit salad, that is included as well.

My only complaint about this book is that it doesn't have the pretty pictures that I love. If you are vegan this is probably not the book for you. Although I have been about to successfully adapt some of the non-vegan recipes with trial and error. If you have been a vegan and a home cook for long time you can probably do the same thing with ease.
on February 5, 2006
My husband teases me that I have an obsession for cookbooks, particularly vegetarian cookbooks. He is not a vegetarian and often quotes the line from Pulp Fiction spoken by Samuel L. Jackson: "I'm not a vegetarian, but my girlfriend is- which pretty much makes me one, too."

I have made most of the recipies in this book and we both love them, particularly the Wild Mushroom Soup and Vegetarian Cassoulet. I've made many recipes for my omnivore parents as well. They loved everything- so I bought them a copy. They actually use it!

The prinicple of this book is that all foods benefit from a little kick- it's absolutley true! Every recipe has booze in it, so be prepared. As well as cooking with it, the author provides wine pairing suggestions- unusual for a vegetarian cookbook. While I don't eat meat, I do drink. However, if you shouldn't be drinking it, you shouldn't be cooking with it.

Most ingredients are easy to find at my local grocery/liquor store. Most recipes are vegan or will be if one ingredient is omitted- which the author occasionally points out. A few of the desserts have no vegan prospects, such as triple chocolate-casis brownies, but there are several (sans chocolate) that would be suitable.

If you are a strict vegan, this may not be a book for you. (The author considers honey to be vegan, for instance.) If you require pictures, not the book for you either. But if you want a fantastic cookbook, vegetarian or not, I can't say enough about The Spirited Vegetarian.
on March 17, 2014
I first learned about this cookbook from a friend who owned it. After flipping through, I bought my own, and I am so glad. I've already made several recipes - and they've been tasty! Each recipe calls for a wine/spirit (hence the title), so if you don't drink or don't want to include alcohol in your cooking, this isn't the book for you. However, if this sounds up your alley - you will love it. The recipes are tasty and delicious, easy to follow, smell amazing and are suited for many different occasions.
on January 3, 2014
This book is unfortunately out of print. If you can find a copy snatch it up. I am not a vegetarian but the recipes in this book are so good you could easily not miss eating meat ever again. my all time favorite recipe in the book, Ruby Port Glazed Portobello Mushrooms. The author not only has the recipe but she gives ideas on what to pair them with. I put the mushrooms over her Polenta Triangles. Or put them on a pita spread with pesto. The Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce is also excellent. The sauce can also be used with the portobello mushroom recipe or over her vegetable frittata. Make enough to freeze for later. It's that good. I've bought this book several times to give away as gifts. Easy to follow, lots of side tips.
on December 4, 2015
The copy I received was a draft copy without a proper book cover. The book arrived in a thin plastic pouch and the draft cover was creased. VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED. This was a Christmas gift - I cannot give this as a gift to anyone.The Spirited Vegetarian: Over 100 Recipes Made Lively with Wine and Spirits
on April 10, 2005
The Spirited Vegetarian: Over 100 Recipes Made Lively With Wine And Spirits is a testament to the fact that a vegetarian lifestyle can be gourmet and fun. Paulette Mitchell is a renowned vegetarian chef who has been crating delicious, palate pleasing, appetite satisfying recipes from decades. Now this veteran cooking instructor and prolific cookbook author has published a compendium of recipes for the vegetarian that incorporate wine and spirits into dishes as an essential ingredient that elevates their flavors for even the most discerning. From Diced Vegetables In Endive Leaves with Sherried Plum Sauce; Yukon Gold Potato-Leek Soup; and Saffron Risotto with Vegetables in Curry Cream Sauce; to Red Wine Ratatouille; Spaghetti di Vino with Beets; and Broiled Bananas with Rum-Raisin Sauce, The Spirited Vegetarian is a unique and welcome addition to any and all dedicated vegetarian cookbook collections.
on June 5, 2006
Love this cookbook! The recipes are not difficult, but yield gourmet-tasting meals. The charts of various wines and their flavors is extremely helpful, especially to someone who is not "wine savvy" like me!!
on January 3, 2007
Since I'm not a vegetarian, I wasn't sure if this cookbook would be helpful, but it has some really interesting recipes, and I've made a couple of them and they were quite tasty.
on November 2, 2010
This is an awesome cook book. The steps and directions are easy to follow. This cook book could make any one a life time vegetarian the recipes are just that good!
on August 29, 2011
It's amazing how much a little bit of spirits can add to the flavor of a dish. Paulette Mitchell has another winner here. Her meals are always delicious, but also fast and easy. This is a keeper!