Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on February 7, 2011
Here's what happened to me after I had read this book: I do Ironman triathlons and marathons. Last year while training, I found out that I had a stress fracture on my pelvic bone. Ouch. I needed an MRI to verify that it was indeed a stress fracture. The first MRI came out blurry and I needed to take a second. After assuring me that I would not be charged for another MRI, I took the second test and was told that, yes, I had a pelvic stress fracture. Skip ahead a few months when the bill arrives. I was charged for 2 MRIs $1200 each!! Furious, I picked up the phone to call the lab that did the billing. (Not good to call and complain about something in a rage. Did I not just learn that?!) The billing department informed me that it had already gone through to my insurance company and that their hands were tied-nothing else they could do. Not only that, the double billing pushed me over my deductible, so I was benefiting from it. (OK, smoke coming from my ears.) At that point, I just decided to take a deep breath and do exactly as Dr. Winch had told me to do. I very CALMLY thanked the billing rep for her help up to this point and explained to her that I was not satisfied with her response. I had been told that I would not be billed twice and that it was through no fault of anyone that I hit my deductible. Silence on the phone. I then asked her if I could speak to her manager. She would not put him on the phone. I explained to her, very calmly, that I would not be hanging up the phone until this matter is resolved. Silence. I explained to her that the letter from my insurance company told me that after their deductions I would owe the lab $800 and I am more than happy to pay that amount as I did receive a service from them and would absolutely be paying $800 and not one penny more. Silence. She told me to hang on while she spoke to her manager. I thanked her and when she put me on hold I began to feel very zen-like and clear-minded! Normally, I would be yelling and screaming and demanding my rights. Funny, huh?! She got back on the phone and told me that they would be glad to deduct the 2nd MRI billed to me, however I was still responsible for the entire $1200 from the first MRI and proceeded to explain to me how their billing system worked. I thanked her for imparting that information as well as checking with her manager and replied that while it was very kind of them to deduct their mistake and very interesting how their billing system worked, I was still only happy to pay the $800 that I was originally responsible for. I then reminded her that I had the entire day off and didn't mind staying on the line for the duration. She then told me that she would have to call me back. Five minutes later, she returned my call with the news that I would only owe them for the $800 that was originally negotiated and reported to me by my insurance company! Who knew complaining could be so worthwhile?! Before I had read this book, I probably would have left it at just paying the $1200 for the original MRI and felt good about not having to pay for the 2nd MRI. Crazy, right? I felt calm, had my facts straight and really believed in myself that I had every right to not pay one cent more than I should have to. Seriously, for anyone out there who has a hard time making that complaint that would otherwise eat at them forever, this is the book for you! Not only is it informative and empowering, it is also very humorous and actually fun to read. Dr. Winch is a master at breaking it all down and spelling it out for you in a way that makes you an adult instead of just a `blow-hard'. This book was both worth my time and money and I can honestly recommend it as one favorite reads in a very long time.
on January 15, 2011
The Squeaky Wheel will make you think about your life in far broader terms than complaining alone. It is the most empowering book I've read in a very long time. Anyone struggling with depression would benefit tremendously from this book. It will give them great insight and great advice and even more important, it will motivate them and give them hope. As the author says, taking the small step of complaining effectively about one thing can give us the motivation to take another and then another. We all have complaints and using them as psychological tools is as brilliant as it is simple. What a great read!
on March 16, 2011
If you are an ineffective frustrated complainer, this book will definitely be helpful to you. He offers clear concrete advise on how to deal with landlords, salespeople, customer service call centers and even you're teenage child.
It helps you realize how to navigate some sticky situations.
Not sure what I was expecting, but I felt a little disappointed. Not so much because of the quality of the information, but because it was more like meatloaf than a sirloin buger....a little too much filler. But worth the read.
on January 5, 2011
I'm not really one for book reviews but my wife got me this book to read on a business trip. my flight was delayed so I finsihed it quick. boy, I learned more from reading the squeaky wheel than from any other self-help book I've read in years. I even used the complaint sandwich with my wife when I got home, and it worked! We talked and didn't argue. priceless stuff right there! I don't know how winch did it, but he has interesting ideas, great advice AND his writing is laugh out loud funny. my wife is half way through and is loving it. but what really got me to write this review is I just used his advice to dispute a cell-phone bill and got them to take $50 off!!l! The book paid for itself! lol! winch should have called it 'the money wheel'.

Sam B
on January 19, 2011
This book is indeed a treat! I am not usually one for self-help
books, but this truly does not read like one. Dr. Winch is a
refreshing blend of humor, wisdom, and really helpful suggestions. In
a world that is increasingly overwhelming and full of potentially
"there's nothing I can do about it" moments, he reminds us that
everyone is human and there are ways to get past even the most rigid
and frustrating barriers. Every phone call I've made to customer
service since reading this book has been positive- one of the many
concrete ways in which his book has helped. A great reminder and
how-to for being a more effective complainer... I highly recommend
reading it.
on April 29, 2012
I love books where the concepts can be easily applied to the real world. Guy Winch's book makes it so easy for all of us to view complaining in a new way and his "complaint sandwich" just makes sense. Since reading the book, I now understand the best way to complain to get something I want. It might not work every time, but I now have a strategy other than getting upset and becoming aggravated. I like the way Guy provides so many examples that hit home. The book promises to empower readers and to help build relationships,...and that's exactly what it does.
on January 19, 2011
I got the book because I tend to complain a lot and thought it might be interesting for me to read about the psychological aspects of complaining. I did not expect the book to have such a big impact on me but it did! This book will make me think about so much more than just complaining. It already made a difference in my relationship and my mood and most of all in my general outlook on life. Therapy didn't do that for me but this book did and it was much cheaper than therapy!
on January 11, 2011
Finally a psychology book with down to earth and practical advice you can apply to all areas of your life. The author breaks down his advice extremely well. For example, Dr. Winch explains why complaining to a spouse when we are angry will have bad results and then describes the psychological techniques we can use to make ourselves less angry. He even goes into the research about which of the techniques is most effective and gives numerous examples of how to apply this technique. Few psychology books present their advice with such clear 'how-to' steps that anyone can follow. Winch's writing is excellent and the book is also extremely entertaining and easy to read while at the same time, incredibly inspiring. It's a winner!

Rgerads to all readers and buyers,

Dan
on November 1, 2013
People who complain about everything are boring, yes, but this book brings out the benefits -and the necessity- of skillful and judicious complaints. I'll probably re-read it! I recommend it to anyone who usually stays quiet when they get the wrong order, or when the teacher gives the wrong information. It also has great tips for people in customer service, with ways to welcome and handle complaints in a productive way.
on January 13, 2011
As a small business owner, I learned really invaluable information about consumer psychology and especially complaint handling! The book is now essential reading for managers in my business. I wish other books about customer service were this enjoyable to read. Highly recommended!