4.0 out of 5 stars Simple steps for any level.
Published 7 months ago by Art, Books, & Coffee

I am a huge fan of Tosca Reno, and when I saw that she had a new book out, I jumped at the chance to review it!
Published 3 months ago by Jody Stoops

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple steps for any level., January 23, 2014
I have read a number of Tosca’s books, but none of them registered with me as much as her newest book, The Start Here Diet. It is an honest look at what you can do to loose the weight you want and keep it off. During the course of the book, the author opens up to the reader about her struggles in loosing weight from an emotional standpoint. She even goes as far as to put in sections of her own journal. This approach is the key to why I think this book is such a good tool to fight weight loss.

Tosca ask you to take 3 steps to get you moving closer to your goal. The first is taking a look inside at the internal issues that keeping you with that extra weight. The second is to find out what your hidden foods are. The third step is to start moving a little. Of course, as with anything, what you eat is key. In the book, there are lists of foods, meals, and recipes all outlined for you. There are also exercise plans that are as simple as vacuuming your home or taking a walk.

If you are someone who doesn’t know where to start in your battle with your weight, then this is the book for you. If you think it is too hard to start a diet, then this is the book for you. If you are someone, like me, who is looking for the reasons why you can’t get rid of those extra pounds, then this is the book for you. The Start Here Diet has all the tools to ease the reader into moving towards a healthier, slimmer life.

5.0 out of 5 stars She's a joy!, April 9, 2014
This review is from: The Start Here Diet: Three Simple Steps That Helped Me Transition from Fat to Slim . . . for Life (Hardcover)
I really admire this woman. To start weight lifting and losing weight at the age of 40 is really inspiring. I appreciated how on page 45, she mentioned helping someone who weighs over 300 pounds. I like that she speaks to the masses on her journey, not just people who need to lose 30 pounds (whoever they are ;) Most people I know need to lose much more. Her approach is very doable and NOT unrealistic. Give her your time. It's not complicated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very glad I read this!, January 11, 2014
Dallas C. (Huntington Beach, CA) - See all my reviews
After many years of trying to get my weight under control with fad diets that never work, I decided it was time to stop dieting and just start eating clean. This book not only gives you the basics of how to start that process, but it goes so much further into getting to the heart of WHY you developed bad eating habits in the first place. The journaling was so helpful for me, and I never put much thought into hidden foods. I feel so inspired and equipped to stick with this journey after reading this book. I highly recommend it for anyone wanting to lose weight and get healthy, physically and mentally.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good start for making changes, February 5, 2014
3.5/5

Well, we're already into the second month of 2014. Did you make resolutions for this year? Were they health related? And how's that going?

Personally I don't like the word resolution - I like the word change instead. And yes, I did start making some changes. I've had Tosca Reno's newest book - The Start Here Diet - for a month now. It's taken me that long to get to the final pages. Not because I haven't enjoyed it, but because I've been reading some chapters over and over again before I move on the next section.

Reno gives us much more than a diet plan or a list of foods to eat. Her own journey is detailed in the introduction. Reno (mom to four) lost seventy pounds after age forty and shares her knowledge in this book.

"I hope that sharing my experience and my journey to a healthy weight will inspire you to travel the same road - the road to happiness with the way you look and feel..."

From the first pages, she asks the reader to take a real look at why they overeat. In depth, personal and perhaps uncomfortable. But "...to be truly successful in reshaping yourself is to find the why first. " These are the chapters that I read more than once.

And then down to concrete information.

How about this question? What is the one food that you can't live without?" Or think you can't live without or in moderation. Chances are it is fatty, salty, starchy or sweet. Oh, yes I have one. Tosca offers us ways to change that 'go-to' food into something healthier.

Move a little. Those New Year's resolutions are often quite extreme. Join a gym. You might have done that - but are you still going? How about working up to it slowly? I loved these suggestions. They "incorporate movement into activities you already do - just do them smarter." There are three lists - 25 everyday activities, 25 five easy movements and 25 sport like activities. The idea is to go from not moving to moving a little and so on. It was pretty easy to work these into everyday life.

Reading labels, shopping tips and list, Reno's meal plans, recipes and suggestions on how to stay on course comprise the second half of the book. I've not read any of Reno's books before and I'm now curious about the Eat Clean Diet as well.

For me the biggest takeaway of The Start Here Diet was the first half - taking a good hard look at yourself, your life and your eating habits.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book for those taking the first steps towards weightloss, May 20, 2014
I love The Eat Clean Diet series Tosca has written and was hoping this was going to be along the same lines. If you are looking for the usual Tosca content, with hard-core diet and exercises, then this book isn’t for you. This book is more for those wanting to take the first step in weight loss. Don’t get me wrong, it is an excellent book for beginners, and we all have to begin somewhere, right? Tosca does an excellent job of sharing her story of weight loss and how she took her first steps into an entirely new lifestyle.
In this new book Tosca uses a three-step process. Part 1, “Coming Out of Hiding,” is about taking a look at yourself and focusing on what is behind your weight gain and the reasons why you want to finally take the first step into losing the weight. She then walks you through some tough questions in “Diving Inward” that put you on the path to lasting weight loss.
Part 2, “Losing Weight and Regaining Yourself,” is all about baby steps. You learn how to determine what your hidden foods are and how to remove them, plus a section on how to get your body moving. Tosca walks you through your food addictions and how to better cope with your life struggles without turning to food. She guides you into a more healthy relationship with food teaching you to replace food addictions with healthier options.
The section, “Moving a Little,” gives you some simple baby steps to move a little more than you normally do. Tosca suggests getting up out of your chair and doing small movements during daily activities such as housework. This is just one out of a list of 50 movements you’ll find that count as exercise. The important thing is you are beginning to move more and add exercise into your daily activities.
Part 3, “Renovating Day by Day,” gives you 28 days of meals and activities. Tosca will help you with shopping, reading labels, shopping for organic produce, cooking tips for all types of foods, and even meal planning.
Once you have tackled the kitchen, it’s time to get moving! Follow the “Beginning Challenge” to get started moving a little those first few weeks. Transition into the “Moderate Challenge” for adding in a little more activity during weeks 3-4, and end with the “High Challenge;” even more activities for weeks 5-6. As the weeks progress, you will learn to raise your exertion level and increase the frequency and duration of activities. You will even get a “Bonus Week: Highest Challenge,” too!
One of my favorite parts of the book, is Chapter 9, “A Constant in Your Life: Troubleshooting Disruptions and Staying on Course.” We all go through ups and downs in life, and often times our weight goes up and down, too. This section will help with mood swings, family matters, traveling, dining out, and how to deal with holidays and vacations all while staying on track.
In the final chapter, you will find some wonderful recipes. I have tried several of Tosca’s Eat Clean Diet recipes, and I love them! Always easy to prepare and so flavorful! Here are a few included in this book:

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Hawaiian Chicken Burger
One-Skillet Sweet and Sour Chicken
Mandarin Shrimp Salad
Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cake
Ricotta and Blackberry Crepes

I would suggest this book to my clients just getting started on a weight-loss program. It is excellent for the beginner wanting to learn the importance of diet and exercise. If you are already eating fairly healthy and exercising daily, I would suggest The Eat Clean Diet Revised by Tosca Reno.

Jody Stoops
Personal Trainer, Running Coach, Marathoner
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to shed the weight, start with what's in your head....., May 10, 2014
A co-worker who was approximately 300 lbs told me about the recent cause for her 70 lbs (so far) weight loss. I knew I had to find out what drove her to make the choices that now has her feeling lighter, off cholesterol meds in addition to other medications. She shared with me the title of this book. I too purchased The Start Here Diet for myself & my mom. Ms. Reno opens your eyes with this book. I too am now on the path. As for my co-worke, she continues in her goal to manage her portions, exercise more and regain a healthy mindset which serves as a wonderful example for me.

6/9/14 With this book Ms. Reno gets you to ask yourself some tough questions and to journal what you eat daily. It doesn't matter if you start and fall off this program. Remember as human beings we all experience set backs. Pick up yourself and get back on track. I am now walking 3-5 miles a day and eating smaller portions. I have decided to make this a permanent fixture in my life because I feel GREAT and will continue this journey one day at a time! Remember it's not what you're eating, it's what's eating you! Thank Tosco Rena & Amazon!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars This is really good., January 8, 2014
This not only gives the information you need but you can get to the root cause of things so you can get onto your healthy best self.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 8, 2014
I would recommend you buy any book from Ms. Reno, she inspires me she will you too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Diet to stop dieting, July 2, 2014
I really like this book alot of information in it to help you loss weight and stop dieting.
I am planning on getting her other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read It!, June 21, 2014
The only diet book that's ever made a true difference in my life! I want to give one to every overweight person I know!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›