4.0 out of 5 stars Great anthology!
Published on October 14, 2007 by B. Gebben

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly misleading...
Published on June 24, 2010 by Jeremy

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly misleading..., June 24, 2010
Jeremy (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Stevie Wonder Anthology (Paperback)
This book is a wonderful resource, but not necessarily for accurately portraying the music. The piano part listed is an embellished chord melody, which works great if you want to play the song without vocals, but which isn't what Stevie is playing on keys. I haven't gone through everything (obviously! There's 75 tunes!), but I know "You Are the Sunshine of My Life" is in the key of C where Stevie plays it in B and that the intro is not quite right on. I can only imagine it is the same for other tunes. That said, as far as I can tell, they have the right chord changes and that's something that has always thrown me off when trying to transcribe Stevie's work from records. Simply having all the chord changes is invaluable to me and a great learning tool. I've seen a book advertised that is 12 note-for-note transcriptions that will probably satisfy those who want to learn what he's playing, but if you aren't too concerned with playing HIS voicings in the exact same key, this book can be a lot of fun.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its Alright, August 19, 2008
This review is from: The Stevie Wonder Anthology (Paperback)
This book is great if you want to play the piano and the singing melody on the piano at the same time. What I didnt like about the book was exactly that. I wanted to play the songs on piano like on the cd. Not with the singing on the piano. It makes it harder to play it than if you were just playing the chords like stevie wonder does.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great anthology!, October 14, 2007
B. Gebben "Bert Gebben" (Arnhem, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Stevie Wonder Anthology (Paperback)
I have been looking for a comprehesive overview of Sevie's music for piano for quite some time. This book gives a nice coverage of his songs during his career up till 1998. All songs are in the original settings, so certainly not for beginners. The only pity is the fact that the songs are in alphabetical order. I would have preferrred to have them ordered in chronological order per album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, but not quite., July 10, 2011
This review is from: The Stevie Wonder Anthology (Paperback)
For the most part I very much liked this song book. It's a very comprehensive collection of Stevie Wonder songs, which are for the most part accurate. One of the only problems are the absence of one song: "Love's in Need of Love Today". I know that it's a minor problem, but that song is one of the main reasons I bought the book in the first place, and I guess I just didn't notice that among the dizzying list of songs, it wasn't there.

Again, it's a minor problem, but the other problem was a bit more serious: Quite a few of the songs are not in the keys in which they were preformed. Part of the magic of his songs was the unique sound that he used, and while some of the changes are noted in the book, quite a few were not. I wound up having to figure them out on my own, which I could have done without the book. Now, for a more experienced player, this would not be a problem, and overall I am very satisfied with this product. But I do feel that these problems should be noted.

Now, would I have bought this book anyway? Absolutely, and if I somehow lost it I'd buy it again. I'd say, however that if you are very proficient at figuring out piano songs by ear, then you might want to rethink buying this, as playing by ear may produce more of the sound you're looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars it is great and geared towards intermediate and advance students, September 21, 2014
This review is from: The Stevie Wonder Anthology (Paperback)
if you are a fan of stevie wonder music, get this anthology...it is great and geared towards intermediate and advance students...it might be a little difficult for intermediates but through time and practice, you will progress to an advance stage and you will have this book...this music book probably will last you a lifetime of great listening and practice in the arts...

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful gift!, April 16, 2012
This review is from: The Stevie Wonder Anthology (Paperback)
I bought this for my dad for his birthday in March and he loves it. It arrived right on time and he hasnt stopped playing these songs on his keyboard since its arrival. I would recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, Stevie, January 5, 2012
This review is from: The Stevie Wonder Anthology (Paperback)
I've always admired Stevie Wonder's work and until now I have the chance to play some of his beautiful songs, of course, from Amazon!

3.0 out of 5 stars Revisions & Re-envisioning for a Future Edition, December 5, 2014
This review is from: The Stevie Wonder Anthology (Paperback)
The song "Visions" from the legendary Innervisions album is missing. That is a gigantic omission. I agree with many of the reviews here that the anthology is a good resource, a nice thing to hold in your hands, all of that music but as someone already put it, "something is off." A better format for Stevie Wonder's prolific work is a more complete anthology with each album's song list order intact. I like being able to play both the chords and the melodies together for myself, I don't mind that, but the inaccuracies in the key signatures are baffling. Why? This speaks to the integrity of the transcriptions. That said, I don't regret buying this and I would gladly buy another revised urtext style edition with notes by a respected scholar of Wonder's oeuvre. If it's good enough for Beethoven, it's good enough for Stevie.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable Transcriptions and Keys, December 3, 2014
This review is from: The Stevie Wonder Anthology (Paperback)
When I buy a book for transcriptions, I want original keys, so I don't have to transpose on the fly. It was real great on the gig last night when I pulled out My Cherie Amour with the band on request and instead of Db, the book has it written in G ! WHY? What is the point of having half of the songs in the key and half not? Thats my rant. thanks ; ) Lesson: If you want good charts, do them yourself. Also, Hal Leonard is not a very good company for professionals. If you are just beginning, it might work for you. However, I feel that even beginners should be learning music in the right keys.

5.0 out of 5 stars stevie wonder catalog song book, May 21, 2014
This review is from: The Stevie Wonder Anthology (Paperback)
This is a wonderful catalog. I would recommend it. I play the keyboard and trying to figure stevie complex chords can be challenging

The Stevie Wonder Anthology
The Stevie Wonder Anthology by Stevie Wonder (Paperback - December 1, 2002)
$29.99 $21.46