Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Joe Bonamassa All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage  McCartney Shop Now Learn more
Customer Discussions > Exile on Main Street forum

The Stones in mono

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 59 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 15, 2010 6:41:59 PM PDT
DKPete says:
Is anyone out there well versed on The Stones stereo recordings versus the mono?? I'm not talking merely about the differences in the hit singles we all know of-I'm moreso interested in albums--Between The Buttons, Beggars Banquet and such. Did they do true mono and stereo mixes for all their albums like The Beatles up to a certain point ?? Someone in a recent post wrote to someone else that they need to hear Banquet in mono. Are there differences there of note such as, say, those between The White Album in stereo and mono?? I honestly never gave this any thought concerning Stones albums. Anyone??

Posted on May 15, 2010 7:15:22 PM PDT
Hey, DKPete. I cannot say anything regarding differences. I have never heard Beggars Banquet in Mono; like The White Album, I believe the mono of BB was never released in the US. I do know that Between the Buttons was in mono as my brother had a copy way back in 1967, which I heard numerous times as a youngster, but have not heard in many many years (he also had monos of Stones Now, Out of Our Heads and December's Children). Satanic Majesties I have heard is much more powerful in mono (it too I believe was released in the US in stereo only) much in the manner of Sgt. Pepper and Piper at the Gates of Dawn (I have heard similar statements about Hendrix's first three albums in mono). The one I really wish was available is Aftermath because as I believe we have discussed before, the stereo mix of that is pretty terrible.
I wish I could give you firsthand knowledge on this, and I hope others can provide better insight.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2010 6:06:07 AM PDT
DKPete says:
Hi Dibbity...It's a shame that more of our Rock "heroes" can't have more the mind set of people like Neil Young and Pete Townshend when it comes to their historical catalogue. Thanks to the latter, I can honestly say that at least two of the very best deluxe CD re-issues out there are of Who albums-and we know the extent Neil Young is going to for the proper presentation/preservation of his material.

With the exception of the current hoopla surrounding Exile, it's way too bad that neither Mick or Keith seem to have that sort of hands-on interest in their bands' recorded history; deluxe CD mono/stereo versions of their albums would really be something worth having. I do intend on researching the monos of Buttons, Satanic and Banquet-I'm more than mildly interested in what unique mono mixes of these sound like (if, in fact, they ARE "unique" and not pre-stereo fold downs if you know what I mean).

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2010 8:25:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2010 8:27:31 AM PDT
As all three were mixed by Olympic Studios, which means Glyn Johns probably had a hand in all of them (he definitely mixed BTB), I would guess the mono mixes are genuine.
In regards to Mick and Keith's lack of hands-on interest, I have a feeling that as far as the 60s recordings go, that has a lot to do with those recordings being owned by ABCKO.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2010 6:03:55 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:
Good question DK. I don't have the answers but here's some links to help you sort it out.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2010 6:58:48 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:
Also, after checking around, the consensus seems to be that BB was all fold downs from the stereo other than Sympathy that had a true mono mix.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2010 6:59:53 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 19, 2010 7:00:13 PM PDT]

Posted on May 19, 2010 7:18:15 PM PDT
DKPete says:
Thanks for those sites Dee Zee; although I've read in one place of the "very rare" mono mix of BB, I'm definitely going to do some additional checking up on that.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2010 7:22:24 PM PDT
DKPete says:
Me again Dee Zee..I just read that No Expectations actually has an instrument layer buried in the stereo mix which actually comes to the fore in the mono. There's more hear than meets the eye.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2010 3:30:05 AM PDT
DKPete, the mono mix of No Expectations is easily available; it's on The Singles Collection.

Posted on May 20, 2010 4:32:33 AM PDT
DKPete says:
Dibbity, when the SACD's came out I foolishly traded away my Singles Collection to scrape up what I could towards buying them (i.e., the individual albums...I know the Collection came out on SACD as well but I never re-bought it). Maybe my ears weren't as discerning at the time but I don't recall being "wowed" by any difference in the mix of No Expectations from the stereo version I was used to on BB. Do you have the Singles Collection?? Is there any true difference or are we talking "fold-down" (that said, the "mono" mix which appears on the single may well be an American made fold-down mono while the actual British mono BB album may still have a true mono we know this SORT of thing was not uncommon between the American and British Beatles mono/stereo mixes)??

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2010 7:44:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2010 11:32:44 AM PDT
TomPlum says:
Aftermath with the red label, "London" trademark printed in silver, Mono, found it as a cutout. It's okay, of course, the UK Import is the way to go everyone says.

Truly, some of those songs like 'Flight 505', etc. 'Think' are not the strongest.

Perhaps the Stereo London albums tended to be blue with 'High Tide' being purple.

Maybe this was a color coding system. Blue~ Stereo, Red ~ Mono, but of course, the "Experts" will know this.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2010 11:08:20 AM PDT
MC says:
Dibbity & DKPETE - Ihave both the sacd of BB and the singles collection and having just listened to both; there is a wide difference between the two recordings.The mono single is much tighter in focus and soundstage, and the piano and bass are much more up-front in the mix, the sacd sounds more difuse like they stretched out the soundstage; the slide and accoustic guiters were boosted drowning out the piano and bass, at least thats what these old ears hear...

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2010 1:45:53 PM PDT
I believe the 1986 Singles Collection probably had No Expectations in stereo. It was not until the 2002 release that they put only single mixes and thus put most of the 3 CDs in mono. Not to mention correcting errors on the original 1986 release such as using the No. 2 version of Time Is on My Side rather than the single/12x5 version. As for the differences between the two, I agree with Michael Cardew, so I doubt this is a fold down.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2010 1:47:21 PM PDT
I think you may be right about the labels, Kenny. My brother's mono copies of Stones Now, Out of Our Heads, December's Children and Between the Buttons all had the red label.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2010 2:09:02 PM PDT
MC says:
So Dibbity - how many of the songs on the '86 singles collection are in mono, I would really like to know?

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2010 2:15:30 PM PDT
I don't know. I got rid of my copy, oh, about 8 years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2010 2:45:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2010 2:46:17 PM PDT
MC says:
Thanks anyway... What did you replace it with?

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2010 3:05:03 PM PDT
The 2002 SACD.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2010 5:54:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2010 5:55:30 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:

The 3 CD Singles collection from 2002 has Sympathy in stereo. In stereo on the BB album, and in stereo on the multi-disc RS Singles Box Vol. 3.

No Expectations is mono on the Singles Collection and the Singles Box, and stereo of course on the BB album. To me, the mono sounds like a fold down from the stereo.

Street Fighting Man has a unique mono mix which is on the Singles Collection and the Singles box. The stereo version on the album and on Through the Past Darkly is quite different than the mono, added instruments and a longer fade out.

I don't see any mono Sympathy available today on CD.

Posted on May 20, 2010 8:48:25 PM PDT
The Singles Collection does have No Expectations in mono.

Posted on May 21, 2010 2:07:09 PM PDT
In regards to whether mono BB is true mono or fold-down, check out this review.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2010 4:00:17 PM PDT
MC says:
What does fold-down mean??

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2010 4:36:50 PM PDT
Fold-down means rather than mixing into mono from the original tracks, you simply take the already prepared stereo mix and reduce those two tracks down into one, i.e. fold them down.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2010 4:42:16 PM PDT
MC says:
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  59
Initial post:  May 15, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Exile on Main Street
Exile on Main Street by The Rolling Stones (Audio CD - 1994)
4.4 out of 5 stars (889)