Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 17, 2009 6:35:58 PM PDT
AstroNerdBoy says:
I may be a lone or rare person experiencing this VERY irritating issue with this set -- when I press stop on my Blu-ray player, it acts as if I've pressed stop twice, which means that the next time I hit play, I want to go back to the very beginning of DVD (to before the menu). So not only do I lose my place when I turn the Blu-ray player off, pressing "stop" to answer the bloody phone means I have to go through the whole load process from scratch. Frankly, this angers me to no end since none of my other Blu-ray discs have this problem.

So, is anyone else experiencing this issue or am I alone?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2009 3:44:06 PM PDT
This is Blu-ray's default behavior unless the disc's author has added the standard behavior we're used to from DVD - but that will probably change as the authoring software gets more sophisticated. As to existing disks, it's possible that firmware updates to the players may add that function, but who knows?

Posted on Jun 28, 2009 2:07:56 PM PDT
AstroNerdBoy says:
My player is completely upgraded. What I discovered is that the Java coding on certain Blu-ray discs (such as this one) disable a player's ability to resume. As such, I've discovered there are three things that can happen. First, a disc without any "bookmark" features generally tends to have full resume capabilities -- that is to say that when you power off your Blu-ray player, when you restart it (and press play), it will restart right where you left off. The Star Trek TV series (1st season at least) is this way.

Second is partial resume feature where if you press "stop," the Blu-ray player will resume upon hitting "play" again but if you power off the Blu-ray player, things start from scratch.

The third is where this disc set comes into play -- the complete removal of the resume feature so that pressing stop simply makes you have to start from scratch. Instead, you are supposed to use the hideous bookmark feature so that when you work your way through 30 (or more) seconds of load and front-loaded crap to try to skip, you can go to your bookmark and resume. This is so freaking irritating and there's no reason that these bastards should be disabling the resume feature at all.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Jun 17, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 28, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection (Star Trek I, II, III, IV, V, VI + The Captain's Summit Bonus Disc) [Blu-ray]
Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection (Star Trek I, II, III, IV, V, VI + The Captain's Summit Bonus Disc) [Blu-ray] by William Shatner (Blu-ray - 2009)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (1,213)