5.0 out of 5 stars Great, basic version of the story

1.0 out of 5 stars A story that equates materialism with love
Published 7 days ago by team c

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, basic version of the story, November 4, 2003
I bought this for my daughter, who is 4. I think the text is a little young for her, but it's a clear, simple version of the story. The best part is that it doesn't pile on the religious interpretations. It just tells the basic facts of the story: angel appears to Mary, Mary and Joseph prepare for the baby, donkey ride to Bethlehem, no room in the inn, Jesus born in stable, wise men follow star, angel appears to shepherds, we give gifts on Christmas "to show our love and to say Happy Birthday to Baby Jesus."
Now, I know for a fact that my daughter will ask WHY the angel appeared to the shepherds, etc., but this book gives us the chance to explain that in our own way. I bought this to go with the Fisher Price Little People nativity set to start explaining the story of Christmas, and I think they'll go very well together. (The nativity set doesn't have any shepherds, so we're planning to use the little farmer from her barnyard set! Hey, close enough.)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Story of Christmas, November 30, 1999
This is a great book for toddlers to help them understand the true meaning of Christmas. It is easy reading with great pictures. A great Christmas gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Story of Christmas, November 28, 1999
By A Customer
This is a wonderful book to teach young children the true meaning of Christmas. It ties in the tradition of gift-giving very nicely. An excellent stocking stuffer for all the little ones on your list!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, November 24, 2004
I love this little book. The story is simple. The story is easy to understand. The illustrations are very good. Unlike another little Christmas book I bought for my 2-year-old, this one actually does tell the story of Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great illustrations, January 14, 2011
My son (2 1/2 yrs) got this book from his grandma and adores it. It totally helped him understand and love the Christmas story. Then I tried to buy another for my goddaughter at Barnes & Noble, and they have the same book re-illustrated by someone new. It's got weird cartoony-looking drawings. (Um, there's enough cartoons at Christmas time, lets get real!) So in response to the review(s) saying the illustrations are boring, outdated, or unappealing, I disagree. I and my son both prefer the sweet and life-like characters in this Lorraine Wells version.

1.0 out of 5 stars A story that equates materialism with love, December 21, 2014
This review is from: The Story of Christmas (Board book)
To tell the nativity story at Christmas makes perfect sense, and I appreciate that in the middle of this text, the author does that much. However, it begins like this, "Do you know why we give gifts at Christmas? We give presents because it is Jesus' birthday." Well, I'm not so sure that's true. The book says that the wise men visited baby Jesus and "brought presents because they loved Him." Well, this isn't entirely true either. Paying homage to a king and expressing love are not equal things. While I can appreciate that "paying homage" might be a phrase better expressed otherwise for an audience of board book readers, I think that even a young toddler shouldn't be taught that giving material gifts is how we express love. The book wraps up with "We give gifts at Christmas to show our love." REALLY? This is a disappointing effort at relating current tradition of gift giving to the nativity story. I would not recommend this book to others, and would not read this to a child of any age. There are some much better options for stories about the nativity available through Magnificat (and some are sold on Amazon).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book., January 17, 2010
I wanted a simple book to help teach my 2 year old daughter that Christmas is the celebration of our Savior's birth. This was a simple, straight forward book that helped do this well. The concepts were simple and so was the art, which was nice for my daughter. She really liked this book and would read it by herself as well as with me. There are parts that were probably simplified too much and some perspectives that I did not necessarily agree with. But as a kid's book about the Christmas story, it was good. It is a great starting point to talk to your kids about Christ and Christmas. I recommend adding it to your Christmas collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Message - JESUS is the reason, December 21, 2008
Personally, I LOVE this book, but it's not my baby's favorite. I don't know if it's because the illustrations aren't bright enough or what, but she's never taken an interest in this one like she does with her other board books that have brighter pictures - more baby friendly I guess. THe message of this book is wonderful, explaining why we give gifts. Important to let children know that JESUS is the reason for the season.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, December 23, 2014
This review is from: The Story of Christmas (Board book)
In addition to this popular book, parents might also want to get a copy of "The First Christmas" at:
It is especially written for parents to read aloud to their youngest children. It tells the true story of the birth of Christ in a way that children can completely understand and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift for Grandson!, April 22, 2014
This review is from: The Story of Christmas (Board book)
I purchased several books for my grandson to teach I'm about the holidays. His dad loves the short stories since reading a book before bed time can be too long with other books.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Story of Christmas
The Story of Christmas by Patricia A. Pingry (Board book - October 1, 2010)
$6.99 $4.00
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.