Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on January 14, 2013
my wife was really happy to find this piece of her childhood to pass onto our kids and they love it. It will become a Christmas classic in our home like it was in my wife's home growing up.
on February 12, 2013
The story itself is a classic. However, Barbara Cooney's illustrations brought the story to life. This is one of my most loved and shared Christmas picture book.
on December 15, 2005
I sometimes forget about this book but every year when I go searching the shelves for an appropriate Christmas book to read to a small child I know I smile when I find this one. I have long been a fan of the author's books that were written for adults but I have been enamored of this particular story since I was about eight years old when my Mother ordered a copy through the school book club order forms. It is the story of chances being taken and following opportunities in the funniest of fashions. A child running away or toward something and a little doll wanting to be loved. It sounds like a rather simple story and in some ways it is but there is a very common theme that everyone wants to be loved and to love and this is a story of people arriving to that point.

While this edition does not have the red and green drawings I hold a certain nostalgia for; the illustrations by Barbara Cooney capture the gentle spirit of the story.

The author has such a talent for describing small details that any person (adult and child alike) can relate to so it is quite easy to read yourself into the story.

A genuinely charming book.
on November 3, 2013
I read this first when I was a girl and it was in one of mothers magazines. I never forgot it, and now I have it to read to my grand daughter.
on December 16, 2015
Beautiful!
I teach second grade and I read this to my class today. It is a long book (took 40 min to read it aloud but the roomful of excitable seven year olds listened avidly and responded with eagerness when I stopped to ask for predcitions along the way), so be warned..you won't want to put it down and neither will your littlest listeners.
It is beyond heartwarming. It is an absolute empathy bomb. I sniffled. Kids sniffled. My toughest boy (the one who gets a lot of behavior referrals for being mean on the bus, etc) raised his hand and said, "That doll and that little girl BELONG together!) midway through the book and my heart grew like eleven sizes, I swear. He said the book 'gave him all the feels' which I think is fantastic.
It's a lovely story about a child without a family and a doll without a child. It's simply stunning and exquisite.
on December 15, 2007
OK, I'll admit, I'm 35 years old and this is my absolute favorite christmas story (Besides the orig. one!).
on December 16, 2002
Beautiful story telling! The author beatifully writes how an orphan's wish arrives on Christmas day. This story tells so clearly by using a matrix of plots. The minute I opened the book and read a few lines, I knew I was going to read it in one breath. One may get a bit discouraged by the large amount of litteracy compared to very little illustration (I felt that when I 1st browsed thru the book), but boy, was I glad to have looked past the 1st impression.
on December 28, 2015
This is SUCH a wonderful Christmas story, and made a great gift for my 6 year old daughter. Often, with long stories, I will break them up and read them to my daughter over multiple nights. I read the whole thing right through in one sitting, and neither of us wanted to put it down. It's truly a great story (if a little far fetched), and we both enjoyed it immensely. Can't wait to make reading this story a yearly tradition, and to pass it on to another generation.
on December 20, 2013
Simply put, the dearest, sweetest, most wonderful Christmas story, or frankly story of any kind, you will ever read. It doesn't need to be read to a child to bring benefit and joy to anyone, but should be read to as many children as possible and often. It is not a pipe dream, it is a real story, and can lead to real kindness and thoughtfulness in real people.
God Bless Ms. Godden for writing this book.
Dave Bayer
on November 22, 2015
I received this book for my tenth birthday 49 years ago and I still love it. I bought it for my son when he was seven (30 now) and he adored it also. I read it to my second grade classes every year and they hang on every word. I also still own the original paperback edition with the green and red pencil drawings. It is truly a magical and enduring story. You won't be disappointed.