5.0 out of 5 stars Required Reading on Common Core
By Joy Pullmann
Heartland Institute Education Research Fellow, 2013 Novak Fellow

Published 13 months ago by Joy

2.0 out of 5 stars I dislike the Common Core, but this book is biased towards conservative/right wing/religious views
I'm a mom of three, my oldest is in sixth grade. I came to dislike the idea of common core, informational texts in particular, based on my personal experience. My daughter read ZERO books as part of fifth grade. She wrote ZERO papers longer then a few paragraphs. Instead, she read the most boring one pager informational texts imaginable. I mean BORING. Why? Because the...
Published 9 months ago by Michael R. Carter

5.0 out of 5 stars Required Reading on Common Core, November 24, 2013
Joy (Hillsdale, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Story-Killers: A Common-Sense Case Against the Common Core (Paperback)
By Joy Pullmann
Heartland Institute Education Research Fellow, 2013 Novak Fellow

I am a busy, working mother of toddlers, and I could hardly put this book down until I finished reading it. As someone who spends hours each week reading and writing about Common Core, this book was a welcome entree into an aspect of it that few, if any, have discussed in such substantive detail. It thoroughly discusses the standards themselves (an underexamined area of Common Core), and the curriculum that has and will result. As you might guess from the title, the result is appalling.

Dr. Moore both discuses the practical implications of Common Core (what it looks like in the classroom) and the philosophical implications (why what Common Core does in the classroom will deform children and society). But this is not a dry read. It is a shocking read. And, unlike Common Core, it is readable for and interesting to the general public--mothers, fathers, lawmakers, etc. In fact, I would say this book should be mandatory reading for anyone who makes any decisions related to Common Core, whether teachers, administrators, state board of education members, or lawmakers.

The best thing about this book is that is utterly dismantles and shows as evil phrases, approaches, and philosophies that otherwise sound attractive, or at least benign. It quite convincingly reveals that "rigorous national standards" are essentially a cover for either mentally stunted central planners or nefarious social engineers. Read it to find out how--no conspiracy theories or kooky phrases necessary. Just actual analysis and critical thinking, not the fake, dreary stuff Common Core promotes.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Book We Have Been Waiting For, December 27, 2013
I borrowed this book on Christmas morning and can't wait for my own copy to arrive so I can finish it. Speaking as a former English and creative writing instructor, but also as a political organizer helping build the anti-Common Core fight in Georgia and Florida, I've been wishing someone would write a book that explains the classroom-based stakes of this fight -- and debunks the rhetoric of Common Core advocates in government and academia.

This is that book.

It is also an impassioned defense of the liberal arts that would be worth reading even if there were no political urgency to its message. Dr. Moore reminds us why teaching great literature matters -- and why the therapeutic nonsense that passes for literature education today is merely shallow narcissism that fails to inspire and educate.

5.0 out of 5 stars CCSS - Low standards revealed, November 29, 2013
Many people object to Common Core due to it's blatant intrusion into our education system. Dr. Moore reveals little known facts about the low quality of Common Core State Standards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Ammunition leading the Parent Led Education Refom, November 11, 2013
Dr. Terrence Moore, our modern-day George Washington, provides a compelling, scholarly analysis of the Common Core English Language Arts "standards", equipping parents, educators, and local communities to reclaim Education in America.
Dr. Moore successfully illuminates the complex maze of the common core's intentionally vague cited texts, coercive interpretations, superficiality, philosophical dominance, omissions, and the continual saga of emptying the brains of American students.
But, Dr. Moore does not leave us merely in Valley Forge, or hanging off the Global Workforce gangplank. In The Story-Killers, Dr. Moore also provides clear examples of what needs to be in a classical American Education to develop minds, character in human beings destined to self-govern and govern America as a nation of Liberty, and Justice for all.
Dr.Moore calls us back to education which inspires, mentors, ennobles, and equips us to shape the present and the future.
The Story-Killers is a required reading text for all who hold these truths to be self-evident: "that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--"

The Educational Reform has begun the Revolution to secure these rights once again in America. We thank Dr. Terrence Moore, for his leadership and The Story-Killers to equip the troops.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, November 9, 2013
This is a must read for anyone interested in understanding Common Core. Dr. Moore, in his inimitable fashion, presents a concise summary of the unintended negative consequences of Common Core.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every American needs to read this book, January 1, 2014
This book not only prepares you for the debate against Common Core but it also shows us how the current teaching methods do nothing to increase knowledge. Basically American students learn very little. Dr. Moore makes us question why we send our kids to school. I believe every American needs to read this book, because too many people don't have a clue about the truth. You will have trouble putting it down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Learn how the Feds plan to indoctrinate your kids, January 16, 2014
This is an eye-opening look into how the Federal Government plans to reshape the curriculum in your local public schools through the new Common Core standards and teaching methods. If you have children in public schools, you owe it to yourself and them to read this book and learn all you can about Common Core and how it represents a federal takeover of public school teaching and testing methods, along lines that left-leaning "Progressives" prefer. Can you spell BRAINWASH?

5.0 out of 5 stars Common Core robs our children, December 17, 2013
This book show the total emptiness and lack of true educational substance of the Common a Core standards. It shows how the standards short change our students by robbing them of the great stories and literature that help them learn about our heritage and how we relate to our past and to each other.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for anyone interested in education., January 28, 2014
Professor Moore had clearly and concisely stated the argument against the "Common Corpse" standards. As a teacher of English literature, I find myself even now having to "sneak in" anything resembling education -- training is the order of the day in public high schools. From the questions my students ask, I know they are aching to discuss the deeper matters of life -- What is it for? How should it be lived? Yet we offer no place for consideration of the truly significant questions, and send them off to "career" (that is to say, job) or "college" completely unformed, ripe for the picking of whatever odd duck professors they may run into.

A grounding the the great literature of our civilization is the best tool we have to educate our future, and to help them fulfill their own lives and destinies. This book should be required reading for every school board member, school administrator, politician and teacher truly interested in returning to solid education in this country.

5.0 out of 5 stars best book on the common core, January 24, 2014
Will Fitzhugh (Sudbury, MA USA) - See all my reviews
An excellent cautionary discussion of the damage
To literature and liberal education brought by the
Common Core. Read it, weep and then fight the
Common Core.

The Story-Killers: A Common-Sense Case Against the Common Core
The Story-Killers: A Common-Sense Case Against the Common Core by Terrence O. Moore (Paperback - October 30, 2013)
$15.00