5.0 out of 5 stars Man meets dog, dog saves man
Published on August 10, 2012 by Scott Troyer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of Katz's best works
I was very disappointed in this book. It was just generic memories of this dog and references to other books. It lacks the depth and excitement of his personal experiences with this dog. He has written much better accounts of his relationships with his animal friends. My advice, pass on this one.
Published 23 months ago by zobo funn

5.0 out of 5 stars Man meets dog, dog saves man, August 10, 2012
This review is from: The Story of Rose: A Man and His Dog (Kindle Edition)
Imagine being a middle-aged writer and successful broadcasting executive, and giving it all up, to try to find yourself on a working farm with no experience whatsoever. You only have a border collie and a dream. This is the basis of Jon Katz' latest memoir, The Story of Rose, A Man and His Dog. Sounds romantic doesn't it? Maybe, until you come face to face with the reality of the loneliness and danger inherent in running a working farm with real life animals to care for. Coyotes, storms, the birthing process -- all of these threats are nothing compared to a man's own sadness and depression.

Those familiar with Katz will know he holds nothing back and writes eloquently about his journey from city slicker to not-so-gentleman farmer, with the help of Rose, his border collie.

Make no mistake, this isn't one of those sentimental books about the cuteness of dogs. This is a story told wonderfully through eyes wide open. It is heartwarming and uplifting. Once you're through, you'll want to read all of Jon Katz books, as I did.

Congratulations on a job well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story, August 7, 2012
The beautiful true story of a remarkable dog. Wonderfully written, with fantastic extra photos and videos in the enhanced edition. Exactly what I've come to expect from Jon Katz -- a powerful affirmation of what a good dog can do, and where a "spirit dog" can take you. Tissues needed at the end, but the book is a celebration of a canine life well lived.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of Katz's best works, September 21, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Jon Katz's first e-book is gorgeous!, August 7, 2012
This review is from: The Story of Rose: A Man and His Dog (Kindle Edition)
I was so excited for Jon Katz's first e-book that I stayed up to the wee hours waiting for the Amazon release, clutching my Kindle! Beautiful Rose had me at the first glimpse of the vibrant cover, and then the wonderful photos included (taken by also photographer, Jon Katz) give the book a magical feel. While I am an animal lover, this book, and his others, I feel aren't just for animal lovers. Katz takes you on a journey, an adventure filled with his personal struggles and joys. Rose is along for his roller coaster ride, keeping Katz's new life on a farm from crumbling and also keeping him from inadvertently killing himself..she appears to be the brains of the operation there- at least early on. He tells his and Rose's story with that gift of humor and drama, leaving me laughing and teary throughout. It is simply wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read from Jon Katz, August 6, 2012
This review is from: The Story of Rose: A Man and His Dog (Kindle Edition)
As a huge fan of Jon Katz' writing I have been anxiously awaiting the release of "The Story of Rose". I'm a Border Collie owner myself and Rose has always been one of my favorite characters in his books. Her intensity, work ethic and intelligence have endeared her to me and I have been looking forward to reading more stories about this wonderful dog. This book was well worth the wait as Katz tells a poignant and heartwarming tale of his bond with this little dog with a huge heart. My only regret is that I don't have the right hardware to view the videos in the enhanced edition. Yet another great book from Jon Katz!!

1.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had never read this book., August 22, 2013
This review is from: The Story of Rose: A Man and His Dog (Kindle Edition)
If you love dogs in general and Border Collies in particular, DO NOT BUY this book.

I which I had never read it, because now I can not unread it. If you do read the book, you are going to hear how much this man loved Rose, and how much Rose did for him. But in his own words, Rose was hit twice by trucks passing his farm as she moved sheep across the road, was run over by an ATV, was kicked 20 feet through the air by a donkey and hit the side of a barn. Then she collapsed on a pasture trying to move sheep for him while he listened to his iPod, and he had not noticed the gray in her coat, the runny eyes, and the slowness of her movement.
I have to wonder why?
I do by the way have a female Border Collie, and I would never, ever, expose her to being hit by a car or truck. This is my opinion, take it for what it is worth to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Life Time Story of a Beautiful Relationship, August 10, 2012
This review is from: The Story of Rose: A Man and His Dog (Kindle Edition)
The Story of Rose is not just an e-book, it's an emotional experience beyond the power of words. In 1999 we bought a country farm and started an Alpaca Ranch, just outside the city of Carlton, Oregon. Of course we needed a Border Collie to save much time chasing alpacas that were needed for shots or a pregnancy test. We were nowhere near as gifted with the training, as Jon has described in his many delightful books. However, we found another way to get just as much joy.

Even before reading Jon's first book, we knew that the planet needed more Border collies, so we sought a mate for our precious Patches. The tough part was the fact that this mate, we call Teddy (think teddy-bear) had a fantastic tri-colored sister. So then, we had three Border collies. And soon there was a pup, called Panda, that we couldn't give up to anyone. Sadly, the Thursday before The Story of Rose was released, we, and her buddies, had to say good-bye to our precious Patches -- -- it was no longer possible to keep her going. She was only ten and a half. Today, she rests on a slope about 75 feet from a seasonal pond where she loved to fetch sticks with her husband, daughter and sister in law.

Whenever her spirit returns, she can again join the play with her buddies, and us, in the water she so loved. Yes, owning a Border is knowing the joys and connections to others in the world that goes with the mystical magic of sharing our deepest emotions along with activities. With this book, you will learn much more than just the Story of Rose. You will learn the power and the pain that a beautiful person must confront in order to express the powerful words that move readers to heights they would not believe possible. Perhaps it's also due to the part that the e-book experience brings to our eyes, and the added value delivered with the elegant emotional scenes that Jon has captured, both here and on his awesome blog. This author has contributed much to the expanded world of many readers, that will go on, -- -- long after he joins his furry friends. I could only wish him to do a new book like this, every month. The one thing that might be a greater experience for me would be to set foot on the ground where Rose got to run. Hopefully you will discover the joy of reading something this powerful, at least once in your lifetime.The Story of Rose: A Man and His Dog
A Dog Year

5.0 out of 5 stars Very moving, September 4, 2012
This review is from: The Story of Rose: A Man and His Dog (Kindle Edition)
I must admit that I've followed the story of Rose at Bedlam farm for years now. I read Rose in a Storm as soon as it came out, and can recommend it as an able attempt to write a book from a dog's point of view. If you enjoyed Jack London's Call of the Wild, you will find much to like in Rose's story. That fairly extensive context probably does make my evaluation of this book more positive than if I didn't know anything about Rose at all. The mystery of Rose's illness and accepting her owner's decision to put her down is emotionally troubling for me, personally. That may say more about me as a person who lives with a dog than it does about the author. That being said, you will be left with admiration for this wonderful dog and how much she accomplished in such a short life.

3.0 out of 5 stars sweet but slapdash, August 30, 2012
This review is from: The Story of Rose: A Man and His Dog (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book in the Kindle version based on an excerpt published at Slate.com. The story of the writer's border collie Rose was interesting enough. I was unaware however, that he had published several other books on the same topic already. Since this is the latest book in a series about a dog who has passed, there isn't much new ground here to cover. There were a number of places in the book where he repeated his own phrasing verbatim. Overall, the book had the feeling of a number of separate short stories or journal pieces slapped together without much editing done to connect them. With that said, the individual stories were interesting and evocative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another beautiful story from Jon Katz., August 7, 2012
This review is from: The Story of Rose: A Man and His Dog (Kindle Edition)
This is my first ever E-book. And of course Mr Katz does not disappoint his loyal readers! The Story of Rose is love story between a dog and her man. Just beautifully written as a gift to all of us who love dogs and loved Rose. Cannot wait for Dancing Dogs release. Thank you,Mr Katz for sharing Rose and your life with us all!

Rate and Discover Movies