Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Cole Swindell Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 9, 2000
Every mother should gift her daughter with this beautiful book! Joan Chittister unfolds beautifully and clearly what every mother wishes her daughters to know in order to become the full persons they were created to be. Each example from the Story of Ruth powerfully illustrates "delineating moments in every human life...... points after which we are never the same again". In The Story of Ruth, Joan Chittister shows us the qualities of Naomi and Ruth as they face life and make choices.... but more than that, Chittister confirms, refreshes and energizes the "stuff" that all women hold within themselves. This is an en-courgaging book for all women...mothers daughters, grandmothers.....women....single or married..... and it is also a book for MEN! For within these pages there is the depth of thought and experience lived by "the other half of humanity." Men will find the richness of this insight invaluable....an enhancement to their own perspective and attitude toward creation.

Once again, thank you, Joan Chittister, for this beautiful gift of strength.
0Comment|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2005
I read "The Story of Ruth" about a year after I read "Scarred by Struggle," which is also by Dr.Chittister. Both books offer inspriation for dealing with difficulties based on a biblical story. The difference between the type of advice they offer, is that "The Story of Ruth," contends more with the daily struggles that confront us in our lives, whereas "Scarred by Struggle" offers advice more suitable to a particular setback, such as an end of a relationship, or loss of job.

Dr. Chittister makes an interesting comment about the story of Ruth, in that though there is no blatant theophany in this book, one can not doubt that God is somehow present. For most of us, this will be our experience in life. God is present to us and speaks to us more often through the actions of others, than a Monty Python-type voice hailing from the sky. Likewise, we are called to do our best to try to create God's kingdom on this earth, by using our abilities and resources to help others and ourselves. Essentailly the story of Ruth is the story of women, who do all they can to help themselves, despite the fact that they are at a disadvantage by lacking male family members, and one of them (Ruth) is a foreigner and the other (Naomi) essentially is a stranger in her homeland, as she had lived outside it for so long. Despite the odds, they maintain their faith in the future, and eventually their welfare not only vastly improves, but they become the ancestors of David.

This is a great gift for girls who are reaching adolescence age. Or perhaps for any woman who is feelign a bit run down by life. The illustrations are gorgeous, and the message is optimistic. It is book that encourages hope in life, no matter how daunting one's station in life may appear to be, and reinforces the adage attributed to Augustine of Hippo that to be successful one must work as if every thing depended on one's self, but pray as if every thing depended on God.
on July 29, 2006
Jam packed with wisdom and insight for all people. A must read for all women and one that you will read many times. Sure wish I had this guide when I was a young woman. Plan to use as a discussion book for a spirituality group. A fabulous book to give as a gift.
on November 2, 2009
I am a Lutheran pastor and brought this book to my weekly Women's Bible Study group for review as a study choice. Because it is not technically a Biblical study, it was to my surprise they chose it. Not only are the graphics beautiful and provocative - as good in the paperback edition as mine are in the original hardcover - Joan Chittister's writing is thorough, deep and insightful. It has led us to have many, many thoughtful discussions on our personal pasts, our growth, our challenges, the role of women - past, present and future - and faith in God by using the chapters as weekly topics and reflecting back on the nuances in the Biblical account of Ruth, Orpah and Naomi. Yes. It takes some work on my part but the blessings we have achieved from the book are well worth the extra effort! I highly recommend it for personal reading as well as group study.
on October 20, 2014
This book is a wonderful resource for women's retreats. The stages, or moments, are real and traverse many ages and times. The art work is prayer in itself. I felt the various chapters gave the individual opportunity to do some deep, inner work.
on March 8, 2014
This book gives us some thoughtful reasons for why the familiar Bible story is appropriate for the Women of today. Very thought Provoking, interesting and superb for discussion groups. It leads to sharing and problem solving for today.
on March 14, 2013
Last fall we gathered a group of "mature" women who had lost spouses in the last five years. No, it was not a grief support group as there are lots of those out there. As Christian widows, our focus was on "where is God calling me now" as a newly single woman. Chittister's book served as a backdrop for our monthly discussions and offered encouragement as we traversed a new path in our lives. FYI-our group facilitator, an ordained female pastor, read aloud a chapter at each meeting which added one more joy to our lives as few of us are read to once we leave childhood. This approach was very soothing and gave us an opportunity for deeper reflection.
on January 7, 2015
It is beautiful! The twelve moments are times in every women's life. This is a timeless book. I love, love, love Joan Chittister. I also ordered a dozen used books to have a group reading and discussion. How great it will be to share this book with others.
on July 25, 2013
Totally disappointing. The author's agenda is clearly one of feminism which dominates the entire book. It is not that I disagree with her opinions regarding the injustice done to women --on the contrary I mostly agree. However, the book should then be retitled to something like "Women's oppression in a patriarchal society and in the Book of Ruth". If you're looking, however, to study the biblical Book of Ruth for spiritual revelation and growth, say in a Bible Study class, I recommend "The Gospel of Ruth: Loving God Enough to Break the Rules" by Carolyn Custis James.
on December 10, 2012
Was introduced to this book at a women's retreat. It is a wonderful and helpful way to look at our lives as women and base it in scripture. It is important to lift up strong women from the Bible and show women that the Bible does pertain to them. The art work is also very good.