- Sorry, this item is not available in
- Image not available
- To view this video download Flash Player
The new film from master filmmaker Manoel de Oliveira, The Strange Case of Angelica is a magical tale of a young photographer who falls madly in love with a woman he can never have, except in his dreams. Late one night, Isaac is summoned by a wealthy family to take the last photograph of a young bride, Angelica, who mysteriously passed away. Arriving at their estate, Isaac is struck by Angelica s beauty. But when he looks through his lens, the young woman appears to come to life. From that moment, Isaac will be haunted by Angelica day and night.
THIS SPECIAL EDITION BLU-RAY includes the first film by Manoel de Oliveira, the rarely-screened 1931 silent masterwork Douro, Faina Fluvial, presented in a new 2K restoration.
COMPLETE SPECIAL FEATURES:
- Douro, Faina Fluvial (Labor on the Douro River) (1931, 20 minutes), the first film from Manoel de Oliveira, in new 2k restoration
- Audio Commentary by film critic and curator James Quandt
- Oliveira L Architecte (1992, 63 minutes), a documentary by Paulo Rocha
- Absoluto (2010, 35 minutes), a onversation with Manoel de Oliveira during the filming of The Strange Case of Angelica
- Theatrical Trailer
- Booklet featuring "Late Oliveira," an essay by Haden Guest, Director of the Harvard Film Archive
"A magical masterpiece." --Kevin Thomas, LA Times
"A gift from a filmmaker who, at 101 years old, is nearly as old as cinema itself." --Manohla Dargis
"The best film of 2010. A sublimely autumnal comic masterpiece." --J. Hoberman, Village Voice