4.0 out of 5 stars What is Finley Jayne?
In case you're wondering, Kady Cross' "The Strange Case of Finley Jayne" is apparently a prequel to the forthcoming novel "The Girl in the Steel Corset." But this little steampunk novella stands pretty well on its own -- it has a sensible butt-kicking heroine, a dash of classic horror, and some decent writing (albeit with some anachronisms).

Only a few hours...
Published on May 3, 2011 by E. A Solinas

3.0 out of 5 stars Works Marginally Well As A Teaser...
Published on June 27, 2011 by gyhaney

4.0 out of 5 stars What is Finley Jayne?, May 3, 2011
This review is from: The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (Kindle Edition)

Only a few hours after being fired from her job (for punching a governess), Finley Jayne is offered a new position: companion to Lady Morton's teenage daughter Phoebe. The job seems too good to be true -- she gets a beautiful room, Phoebe's old clothes, and even is brought to balls and parties under the pretense of being a distant relation.

However, she is uneasy about Phoebe's older fiancee, Lord Vincent. Not only is Lord Vincent creepy and twice her age, but he is also still obsessed with his dead wife, Cassandra... who looked exactly like Phoebe. Finley sets out to find out what devious plans he may have for Phoebe, and her greatest ally may be her secret, superhuman dark side.

There is honestly not enough steampunk in the world, and "The Strange Case of Finley Jayne" is a decent example of the genre -- we've got clockwork automatons, steam carriages, robotic horses and a bit of "Frankensteinian" mad science. There are still some unanswered questions (Finley's dark side and superhuman strength), but presumably the full-length novel will explain that.

Cross' prose is fairly good -- it's not exceptional, but it's solid enough, albeit with some comments that sound a little too modern (Finley refers to Lord Vincent's plans as "icky"). And while the first couple chapters feel a little fluffy, the story tightens up and becomes much darker with the introduction of Lord Vincent, although the subplot about Phoebe's boyfriend seemed extraneous.

And Finley is a very, very likable heroine -- she's strong, self-reliant, sensible and intelligent. She also has a Hyde side (see, I can reference 19th-century horror too!), which allows her incredible strength and almost gleeful aggression that she has to keep bottled up. And I can't help but hope that we'll see more of Lady Morton, a clever noblewoman who recognizes a good bodyguard for her daughter when she sees one.

"The Strange Case of Finley Jayne" is a solid introduction to the world of Kady Cross' Victorian steampunk/urban-fantasy series, and leaves me anticipating whatever comes next for Finley Jayne.

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly fun read, May 2, 2011
This review is from: The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (Kindle Edition)
Since getting my Kindle and having the opportunity to download free books, I've been exposed to many genres and authors I would have have never thought of reading in the past. This was a surprisingly fun, quick read. Yes, its "technically" for young adult readers but I'm a middle young adult and I liked it, a lot. It was interesting, kept my interest and though I did figure out the plot, the author's writing, terminology and description of this futuristic past was enjoyable. Good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars not just for young adults!, May 3, 2011
This review is from: The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (Kindle Edition)
I have to disagree with the person that said this was only for young adults. It's not. I loved this story and it had a lot of very interesting twists to it. I recommend this highly and will buy the full book when it comes available. This book, however, was a complete story in itself, not just the beginning of another book, and I look forward to more of the same!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Works Marginally Well As A Teaser..., June 27, 2011
This review is from: The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (Kindle Edition)
The Strange Case of Finley Jayne was rather blatantly released as advertisement for the actual start to the Steampunk Chronicles, The Girl In The Steel Corset. I don't knock this idea at all, and as an advertisement - one I downloaded for free on a whim - it served its purpose. The titular character of Finley Jayne was engaging enough in this one-off novella prequel for me to want to continue with the series. However, as a stand-alone work of fiction, The Strange Case of Finley Jayne is a little stiff, pretty formulaic, low on detail, and rife with more than a few grammatical mistakes. Take this for what it is - a taste of what is to come with our heroine and an advertisement beckoning you to read The Girl In The Steel Corset. This novella on its own, though entertaining enough, never really jumps off the page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Steampunk Meets Mr. Hyde, July 2, 2011
Karen Keyte (Cumberland, ME USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (Kindle Edition)
This short novella by Kady Cross serves as a prequel to her new novel, The Girl in the Steel Corset and introduces readers to a fantastic new heroine in Finley Jayne, as well as to the truly awesome steampunk version of late Victorian London where Finley's adventures take place.

Sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne is a girl with a secret, a dark secret. Deep inside she has a `second self,' a self that takes control when Finley feels frightened or threatened or sometimes, merely very angry. This second self is unnaturally strong, inhumanly fast and incredibly agile. She's also caused Finley to lose more than one position in service. Just today she was fired from her post for punching a superior servant - the governess, in fact - in the face and knocking out all of her teeth. The fact that this governess was abusing one of the children of the household does not seem to have weighed in Finley's favor at all.

Disheartened, and not a little distressed to have been dismissed without a reference, Finley returns home to her beloved mother and stepfather. Though they always make her feel welcome, even cherished, the last thing Finley wants is to be a financial burden to her parents. She's determined to find a new position right away, but before she can even begin to look, a new position finds her. Finley is both surprised and a little suspicious when Lady Morton shows up on her doorstep and offers her a job as a companion to her daughter Phoebe. After all, if Lady Morton knows that Finley was dismissed from her last post, she must know why. Finley is wary, but not worried enough to refuse the position. After all, the pay is very good and , more importantly, Lady Morton DOES know about the `incident,' she simply does not care.

As Finley learns more about Lady Morton and Phoebe, however, her uneasiness grows. It seems she has been hired precisely BECAUSE of her punch to the governess, as incredible as that may seem. Phoebe's fiancé, the much older and very wealthy Lord Vincent, is not a man who inspires either affection or trust and it's abundantly clear that he has some deeper, darker reason for requesting Phoebe's hand in marriage, a reason that Finley will have to ferret out.

If this is an example of what I can expect from The Girl in the Steel Corset, sign me up! I can't wait to start reading it. Finley is a great heroine, simultaneously strong and vulnerable, and I found her extremely likable. The steampunk world Ms. Cross has created is fantastic - full of automatons, mechanical body parts and hissing steam engines. This is classic steampunk - filled with intrigue, danger and near escapes - but it is also a very original and interesting version of steampunk. Definitely worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly enjoyable., May 2, 2011
This review is from: The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (Kindle Edition)
This was an enjoyable story. I read it through in one sitting. The whole futuristic past setting was intriguing and added some spice to the book. Recommend for a quick, easy read.

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like it more than I did., October 13, 2011
This review is from: The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (Kindle Edition)
The Strange Case of Finley Jane, for its short length, was worth the time it took me to read it. But did it make me want to buy The Girl In The Steel Corset? Honestly, it hasn't convinced me.

It's not that it's bad - it isn't.

It's just that there's nothing special about it.

There were brief, fleeting moments of real engagement, depth in the characters, and suspense. But these moments were much too few and far between. I feel like many of the characters were lacking - honestly, Lord Vincent is probably more developed than even the main character despite how relatively little time he's given.

I feel like I don't know enough about Finley. I feel like Phoebe's lover is a random element that feels out of place (I get that it may be a tease, but there is absolutely no development - it feels totally flat, and it's so forgettable I can't even remember her lover's name). I feel like I didn't see enough of Lady Morton. The description is mediocre and I had the plot figured out a third of the way through.

I know this is a novella intended as a teaser, but leaving the main character relatively undeveloped isn't a winning strategy. I don't feel compelled to read The Girl in the Steel Corset. There are a lot of things in this story that are potentially interesting and that I love reading about. But I can get a time-killer steampunk book anywhere. I don't want to dedicate myself to a series when the prequel feels like a bit of a letdown. There's a lot of wasted potential here.

Verdict? The Strange Case of Finley Jane is an agreeable enough way to kill an hour, but fails to draw my attention to the bigger Kady Cross world.

4.0 out of 5 stars Steam-punk with a hint of Frankenstein., May 2, 2011
This review is from: The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (Kindle Edition)
This book is fun, and yes, a bit of fluff. It was enjoyable, not a very deep thought process is needed to enjoy it. Did like the whole "steam-punk" aura. Hopefully in the next one there will be more depth. It interested me enough to be looking for the next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars wanted more than 98 pages!, May 15, 2013
My Thoughts:
I received a copy of The Girl with the Iron Touch from Harlequin Teen on Netgalley and I knew that I wanted to do a re-read of the 1st book before I dove in to the 2nd and last book. I checked the 1st two books out from the library and was pleasantly suprised that the new paperback of the The Girl in the Steel Corset had this prequel in it.

Usually I end up being pretty dissapointed in Prequels. How do you usually judge whether a prequel or a novella is any good? Your desire for it to be longer. And that is exactly how I felt about The Strange Case of Finley Jayne.

This series is mixes Historical Fiction with Steampunk! And once again you through in anything Historical Fiction and I am usually willing to give it a shot. This novella starts off with the main character Finley Jayne, just being fired from a job as a servant after the physically attacked the Governess for slapping a little boy. Things had starting changing with her over time and she found herself exerted an unnatural amount of physical strength that no female should have. Something is different about her, but she has no idea how she became this way, or what she even is? This may all be connected to her biological father who passed away years ago, whom she doesn't know much about.

Just went Finley starts panicking about where she is going to find new employment without a reference, a new job opportunity comes knocking on her door. She is offered a position as a companion, with high wage, new dresses and evenings out with Dukes and Lords. It seems to good to be true and she accepts the position cautiously.

She meets Lady Phoebe, the girl who is supposed to accompany. She is engaged to Lord Vincent one of the richest men around who in an inventor of different automatons. But he is old enough to be her grandfather. Finley starts to become suspicious when she realizes that Phoebe is almost a doppelganger of Lord Vincent's ex-wife. But just as Finley is becoming suspicious of Lord Vincent, Lord Vincent is staring to realize that there is more to Finley than what the eye sees.

I really enjoyed this little story and am eager to start re-reading the 1st book and getting reacquainted with the characters and the story line. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great teaser!, June 26, 2011
The Strange Case of Finley Jayne by Kady Cross
HarlequinTeen, 2011
72 pages
YA; Steampunk
5/5 stars
Steampunk Chronicles #0.5

Source: Free Nookbook

I was so excited to see this prequel show up for free in Barnes & Noble's nookbook selection as I had already fallen for the gorgeous cover of The Girl in the Steel Corset. My expectations were met and exceeded with a short story detailing some of the amazing powers of Finley Jayne as well as her investigative abilities.

Cross effectively tantalized me with the character of Finley as well as with the larger streampunk world. It does not intrude except in the frightening person of Lord Vincent, fiance of Phoebe, whose mother hired Finley as a companion to protect against the suspicious Lord. Gender issues are also introduced as Finley, Phoebe, and her mother are limited by Lord Vincent's desire for Phoebe's body and Phoebe's fathers debts. The men make the decisions forcing Phoebe into an unwanted marriage but when it becomes too much, the women step up and take charge to effect a happy ending.

I enjoyed this and I think it would be worth a read for people who want to sample Cross's world without buying the full-length book as well as for people who loved the full-length book and can't wait for the second.

The Strange Case of Finley Jayne