5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read aloud
Published on January 8, 2000 by M. Guillot

3.0 out of 5 stars the stranger
I would like to say the book was so-so. I give it a three star rating. It gives you a sense of curiosity. I realy like this book.

I would advise that you read this book to. there are some things he could improve on. He could have made the book longer.

otherwise it was goodthe stranger is a very good book. If you like mystierious books you should...
Published on November 29, 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read aloud, January 8, 2000
This review is from: The Stranger (Hardcover)
Teachers - this is a wonderful book for a read aloud. I read this book to a class of second graders and they were completely entranced by the illustrations and by the stranger in the story. The book is wonderfully illustrated and is great to read during the fall season to the students. Also, because the stranger's identity remains a mystery this book is a wonderful lead into a writing activity. Read it. You'll love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A FASCINATING WORK!, October 11, 2006
This review is from: The Stranger (Hardcover)
Other reviewers have used the word "strange" to discribe this work. I think the words "haunting" and "mysterious," probably hit closer to the mark. At least they do for me. This is one of those works that will certainly make you think. More importantly, it will make, or should make, the young reader think. That is the key to the fascination of the text of this work. Beyond doubt, the illustrations are quite wonderful, even beautiful. I did note that some of the youth reviews here were not overly enthusiastic. I have found that many young people do indeed "get" the story, while others do not. Some simply do not have the capacity to wonder, to imagine. This is sort of sad in a way, but on the other hand, it is works such as this, that if read with an adult who does have that spark of wonder in them, might allow some of that wonder to rub off. I like a good fantasy and a good mystery, ergo, I liked this book and do recommend it. The art work and stark writing alone are worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A hypnotic book, July 26, 2002
Catherine S. Vodrey (East Liverpool, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Stranger (Hardcover)
Chris van Allsburg's "The Stranger" is, well, a very interesting read. I have to admit to NOT liking it the first couple of times I read it to my kids, partly because the stranger in question remains a stranger throughout the book. Van Allsburg gives us no easy answers here. Still, this makes the book an excellent jumping-off place for questions about who we are, what makes a group of people a family or a community, and how well we really all know each other.
The illustrations are, as usual, stellar van Allsburg stuff. The cover portrait especially, of the stranger being served soup by Farmer Bailey's wife, is very nearly hypnotic. The stranger's face is suffused with a mixture of fear and wonderment, and you find yourself thinking, "Is it the soup that fascinates him? The tureen across the table? The farmer's wife?" It really gets you thinking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solve the Mystery!, March 28, 2004
This review is from: The Stranger (Hardcover)
What is the connection between the stranger who does not talk and the farmer and his family? Watch for the subtle clues. My students always listen (and watch) intently when I have them watch for clues. Who is the stranger? Fun book for children. Well illustrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars can you figure out who the stranger is?, July 19, 2006
reader mother (TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Stranger (Hardcover)
some criticize the tale because it leaves much open to speculation/imagination; that is part of the appeal of this Van Allsburg work; I had to read it 2 or 3 times before I figured out the ID of the stranger; then I wanted to read it again to see all the clues I had missed; it is so clever; I agree that it is not a book for small children, but not because of adult themes or unrealistic elements (driver hitting pedestrian, no injury to pedestrian, driver not punished for crime, stranger going home to family, risk of child abuse when stranger alone w/daughter, etc); it is not a book for small children because they would not understand the complexity of the symbolism; about a 1st grader would understand it for sure; beyond that, any age can enjoy; I can see how teachers like to read it w/classes to spur thinking & discussion

5.0 out of 5 stars Shivery, Mysterious, Enigmatic as Ever, October 9, 2011
This review is from: The Stranger (Hardcover)
"Farmer Bailey could not help noticing how peculiar the weather had been. Not long ago it seemed that autumn was just around the corner. But now it still felt like summer, as if the seasons couldn't change. The warm days made the pumpkins grow larger than ever. The leaves on the trees were as green as they'd been three weeks before."

I can't help noticing, either. The calendar says fall but summer goes on and on; ninety degree days, sweltering humidity, afternoon thunderstorms. The celestial clock that governs these things seems to have stopped.

I have loved Van Allsburg's The Stranger since I first read it to my own children years ago. The illustrations are just as thrilling and mysterious to me now as they were then. When the stranger gently blows across a spoonful of soup, Mrs. Bailey shivers.

I do too.

5.0 out of 5 stars About the Stranger, November 29, 2005
This review is from: The Stranger (Hardcover)
This is a great book. The illustrations are really creative. there is a lot of expressions for the characters. The stranger is a very strange man. A lot of things happen to make the stranger seem not human. The author of creative words are used to explain how people are acting and what people are doing.

The people in the story have very different personalities through out the story. There are many different mood for every character for every part of the story. The stranger loves the family he meets very much.

In this story he uses clues and mystery words to help you figure out who he is. He starts out his storys with pictures and clues to write his storys. He writes many different books. I really enjoyed this book so I hope many other people will get to read it and enjoy it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars The stranger, January 31, 2006
This review is from: The Stranger (Hardcover)
Purchased this book for my daughter who is a 9/10th grade english teacher. Book has beautiful pictures and gives the reader a chance for thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Review For The Stranger, October 28, 2005
The Stranger

This book is incredibly incredible! Chris Van Allsburg is a super author. If you read his books there is always a hidden dog in each of them. I couldn't find it in this book at first, but then I finally found it. The stranger in the book is someone famous. Well, he is not really famous, but everyone knows who he is. There are clues in the book. If you're reading it you might not know, but once you find out you'll say, why didn't I think of that! Anyway, this book is an amazingly amazing book! I think everyone should read this!!!!!!!

Jordyn T., 4th grader, Holland, PA

4.0 out of 5 stars this book is awsome, November 29, 2005
This review is from: The Stranger (Hardcover)
I think this book is wonderful. It will twist your mind! If you like mysteries you're sure to like this one.The illisterator/ Cris Van Allsburg does great illisteraions. This story is about a very odd man and the mystery is about him, why is he so weird and unbeleavabal? You will be exsited of what happens. So have fun reading this wonderes book!

Other books by him:The poler express, Jumanji, The mysteries of hams burdick, Just a dream.

The Stranger
The Stranger by Chris Van Allsburg (Hardcover - October 28, 1986)
$18.95 $11.55