The Strangers [Blu-ray]
|Additional Multi-Format options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
|Watch Instantly with||Rent||Buy|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
I am not going to recap the movie ad nauseum the way some of the other reviews here have already done, however I will give a high level perspective of why this movie is so good at being scarry.
1. There are no ghouls, ghosts, vampires, and demons. The premise of this movie is litteraly one group of people taking advantage of other people.
2. The costumes used by the strangers were simple, and eloquent. Exactly the kind of stuff one could pick up at any party store or costume shop. I feel as though this added a whole other level of realism to the movie.
3. Overall creepiness of the type of harrasment the strangers inflicted on the kristen, and james.
Some negatives that I observed about the movie:
1. James and Kristen making some stupid decisions, that would have any person with a brain scratching their heads...ie...splitting up when you have these psychopaths coming at you from all directions.
2. The strangers violating the laws of physics by being able to subtly and quickly sneak into a space and scrawl messages across the walls, windows of a room to further torment our protaganists, and never ever be seen or heard by James and Kristen. This just doesnt seem plausible to me.
3. The ending didnt really give me closure.
With all that, the movie was highly effective at serving its purpose which was to freak me out, and entertain me, which it did for it's entire 80 minute running time.
I highly recommend this movie, and am only giving this movie 4 stars instead of 5 for the reasons I state above.
I won't go into the story, because most of you already know it, but I will tell you this: if you are as jumpy and as easily frightened as I am, do NOT watch this one alone. I made the mistake of doing that the first time, and I couldn't finish it. I had to rent it later on, and watch it with a room full of people in order to see the entire film. The thing that makes the film so effective is simply this: this could happen to anybody. Anybody could break into your home and terrorize you for no reason.
The direction is strong, and Liv Tyler does an excellent job. You can tell that it was definitely inspired by Haneke's FUNNY GAMES, but it's not a rip-off by any means. Bryan Bertino has done an excellent job with his first film, and I look forward to his next film.
There isn't much of a body count,instead there's a lot of emphasis on being constantly terrorized instead of just hacking people to death. That's how I felt throughout the movie - constant state of terror and dread. This movie stuck with me because it seems like it could happen to anyone who just happens to be home one night and a band of lunatics decides your next.
If you like torture and violent excess, you might find this movie "boring". If you want realistic terror without a lot of lame effects, you'll probably enjoy this movie. Highly recommended.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This was a good movie-- I liked it a little better the first time I saw in in the theater; that's why it did not get five stars here. Read morePublished 7 days ago by Earl P. Dean
Really under the radar movie. Should have gotten a little more credit in the world, but it's gotten enough by the right people. Read morePublished 14 days ago by Jack
15 minutes into this movie and I already can't believe i rented this turd. The lead male character has at this point had multiple weapons, opportunities to use them, and reasons to... Read morePublished 16 days ago by Dedalist
A friend told me it was super creepy, but I wasn't too overwhelmed with it.Published 17 days ago by Erik Therme (author of Mortom)
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray > Movies
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > DTS
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Horror
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > All Universal Studios Titles