5.0 out of 5 stars Corporate Version of Tim Ferriss
Published 20 months ago by Mark Ruzomberka

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time
I have to say I borrowed this book from the library and if I had bought it I would ask for my money back as it was just awful.
Alan Corey comes across as an arrogant and narcissistic tool. Also it is hard to feel sorry for him for what he went through.
He had a million bucks and lost it. You don't root for him nor is the book helpful toward getting a six figure...
Published 6 months ago by C. Mabey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Corporate Version of Tim Ferriss, April 22, 2013
This review is from: The Subversive Job Search: How to Overcome a Lousy Job, Sluggish Economy, and Useless Degree to Create a Six-Figure Career (Paperback)
After having read Alan's last book this one was equally good. He has put together a great book about what really works when searching for a job. I would say this is an updated version of Jeffrey J. Fox's "Don't Send a Resume", which is my all time favorite job advice book. There are some old tricks in here that everyone should know, but also some new ones that make the book worth the read. Alan does a great job of connecting with the reader as a "normal guy" writing a book which draws the reader in for a better experience, instead of coming off as a stuffy author who thinks he knows it all. The book has a similar tone to much of the work Tim Ferriss has put together, and I think Alan is headed in the same direction with this next offering. This is a quick read with great value packed into a manageable size, most people can benefit from.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'What the world needs now...', May 8, 2013
Balls. This hilariously well-intoned little book by Alan Corey is the best medicine for everyone at this point in our economica excrementa state of living. Even if you thought your job was fool proof or immune to the nibbling away by our current layoff and downsizing and outsourcing mindsets of the corporations we thought were so safe, read this book and prepare.

It is such fun to discover a book that takes a potential problem in a bleak time and manages to make you laugh your way through it. Not that this is a comedic novel - far from it. This is a survival kit disguised as a self-help book of sorts. The really wonderful aspect of is that it is the true life situation of the author who rose to the ranks of a millionaire real estate investor, took a tumble all the way to the bottom and devised a way (no, make that a series of ways) to reenter the job market using his unique brand of chutzpah and commonsense mixed thoroughly with this tried and true methods of `get yourself up, dust yourself of, and start all over again' techniques that are easily understood, and seem as though they will work.

Smile your way through Corey's Resume tips, setting up the `model' interviewee, learning how to read recruiters, and the final payoff of getting yourself place in a super happy and profitable position. All this may sound corny when distilled in a comment about this book, but this is one of those `manuals' you'll want to read and re-read - both for the wise counsel it offers as well as for the genuine humor and self confidence inducing state of mind it produces. Highly recommended. Grady Harp, May 13

5.0 out of 5 stars A true story with blunt, yet effective advice, April 21, 2013
I fell in love with Alan in his first book, where he speaks about his journey to be worth a million dollars by the age of 30. His second book, much like his first, holds no barriers on the true story of his life, as well as the truth about becoming financial stable in crazy times such as these.

If you're looking for a fun and practical guide to making it with a job (and getting one worth while to begin with) then you can't go wrong with this or any title by Alan Corey.

Enjoy a true story of courage, triumph, and hope from a guy that's had it all and nearly lost it all, only to come back wiser and stronger and put it in a book for our knowledge-seeking pleasure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Occasionally out there, but some great advice, April 24, 2013
Read this for a bit of fun as I've been on both sides of the fence - as the hirer trying to differentiate between reams of all-but-identical resumes, and as the potential candidate racking my brains about how I go about even getting a call for an interview. Love it or loathe it the job market is tough and just getting noticed can be the hardest job of all.

Some of the author's advice is a bit 'out there' for me but I think that's part of his style (and background). The remainder includes some actually very solid practical applications about getting the career you want. If the Sunday-night blues are getting too much or a lifetime of low-level administrative tasks doesn't appeal then you could do worse than have a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest Advice, April 23, 2013
Having finished "The Subversive Job Search," I have a clearer understanding of what to expect in my career. Also, it really made me question what I wanted out of a career. I wish this material was given to me when I was graduating from college. Fortunately, someone at any age or any company can implement the methods that Alan used.

The practical advice laid out in this book is in the format of a story, which makes it more engaging. I credit Alan for being willing to talk about his failures. Typically, people who have years of experience in "X" profession, simply stick with that path because it feels comfortable. Alan shows that you can try new careers, and either succeed or learn something from it.

This book also contains assignments you can do yourself. My favorites were the subversive ways to gain the attention of companies you want to work for in the future.

You don't need to have the same career goals as Alan to get something out of this book. His overlying message of determination and humility can be applied to any career that you want to pursue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh while you learn, April 22, 2013
Does looking for a job or deciding on a career make you want to puke? Does it make you fall asleep from boredom? Both at the same time? This book was written for you. Apparently author Alan Corey used to do stand-up comedy and that experience shines through in this cavalier, blunt, and hilarious guide to getting your resume noticed, getting a job, and then increasing your income. And instead of getting depressed or bored, you'll laugh a lot while learning this invaluable information. What's provided here will make you feel empowered and ready to conquer the job world. What are you waiting for? Read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Irreverent, subversive, useful. A must read for job-seekers., April 22, 2013
There are myriad career books out there, many of which rely heavily on theory. I like how Alan actually lived what he teaches. Like many of us, he was a victim of the recession, having lost big on real estate when he had a new home and a new family to care for. He learns how to cut through the noise (and the deafening silence) of the job search, reinvent himself in an area he loves, and go from welfare to a new $190k/year career in 2 years. Amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fed Up with the Economy? Perhaps You Should Try a Subversive Job Search, April 24, 2013
My husband's career has practically been in the toilet since the economy tanked. Frustrated with job hunting and him using the same old traditional job seeking tactics,I went on the hunt for a book that thought a little differently about the whole process. Boy did I find it! The Subversive Job Search does exactly what people say it does, it creates a whole new box and changes the way you think about networking, education and your limits (or lack thereof) as a job seeker. My husband had read every book out there and was literally disgusted when I showed him yet another one. Yet, after he read this one it was like a lightbulb turned on. There was not only hope, but a whole new world of possibility. Traditional job hunting doesn't work anymore and that's what was getting him down. I'm happy to say he's made progress just using ONE of the tactics in this book (I won't spoil the book by sharing it). Because it is laid out like a story and contains many of the author's experiences and failures, it was easy to follow. I'd recommend it to anyone in a career slump right now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, yet attainable!, April 21, 2013
I've read several of these types of books. Most of the time by the end of the book, I either am too jealous of the author to implement any of the objectives they put in the book, or I found no real objectives I could implement. This book was different. I liked the author from the start. He starts out a little brash, but hey in the economy it is definately fitting! And he sucked me into his way of thinking. He also laid out several easy steps that anyone can do to help themselves find a better job or career.

It's a different world out there from when I first was out of college (a few decades ago). So, it's time for me to do as the title of the book states! I'm really excited to try out the branding that he mentioned. This to me was the most important part of the book, but first things first, I'm going to reread his book and put together a plan for my future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alan Corey Does It Again, March 4, 2014
Loved his first book: bought copies for several high school and college grads. Suggesting this one to many people of all ages who want something new. Clever, smart, good advice, and entertaining to boot. Thanks Alan!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›