Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Successful Match: 200 Rules to Succeed in the Residency Match
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 1, 2013
My three friends and I all got this book. We all matched our number 1 choice. This book is high yield, especially for the match. It explains everything you need to know from applications, personal essays, interviews and post interview communication. It is a must have!
on June 5, 2015
This book is great for getting into residency. Save it, as it is also helpful for fellowship. The most helpful section for me was the interview section. Well worth the purchase just for those sections.
on June 19, 2009
The information is quite helpful to all whoever appearing for match. The earlier you read this book, the better.
Summary:
1)Discusses about different elements of application process and how to improve. These include - LOR, Personal Statement, Deans Letter. Also talks about Competitive programs and what takes to get selected into those programs.
2)Before/During/Post Interview - How to prepare - Really good
3)What are the points (like USMLE score is on top of the list) residence directors are looking to select candidates for the interview.
4) Ranking process - how does this differ from interview process

Useful Information for me:
1) I learned that most programs about 90% ignore IMG LORs.
2) Applied/Selected IMG numbers based on their status like EAD/H1/GC/Citizenship
on January 7, 2014
Excellent book. It would've been more helpful though if I had purchased it at the beginning of 3rd year so that I would know how to plan my rotations and approach to residency applications. Instead, i purchased this book a few weeks before applications were due. Mind you, it definitely helped with statements and interviews but It could've been better.
on July 25, 2011
This book is helpful, however, it does go through a lot of material which impossible for the typical student and only applies in special situations. I think it is especially helpful for the personal statement and CV portion which tend to be the worst part.
on June 8, 2009
I have looked into many books that intend to help applicants match successfully, however, The Successful Match alone provides everything you need to know. Not only does it give you a foundation of knowledge necessary to advance through the application process, but also an inside scoop into the minds of those decision makers that comprise the admission committee. It taught me how to see myself as a residency applicant, not from an applicant's point of view, but strategically from that of a program director's perspective. I could trust the authors' statements because they were fully supported by evidence and I retained the information presented by the authors as they kept me engaged with "Did you know's", "Tips", "Rules", and Q&A formats. In conclusion, I recommend all residency applicants look into The Successful Match. It is a must-have.
on March 15, 2014
This book is full of great tips and the chapter on letters of recommendation is great. The only reason I didn't give it five stars is that the chapter on IMGs doesn't really have many useful tips for US IMGs from Caribbean schools. An updated version should include info specifically for US IMGs from the islands!
on May 7, 2014
I bought this book a few months before I went into interview season. It's a very quick and easy read. It breaks down the entire match process, from writing a good personal statement and CV, all the way through what you should do AFTER your interviews. It gives tons of good examples to help you strengthen your application. It also gives a laundry list of common questions and appropriate (and inappropriate) answers to them. I thought that was the biggest help to me. I went on a LOT of interviews (about 30) since I was applying to an advance specialty along with prelims PLUS a backup specialty. I ended up matching in my preferred specialty at my number 2. Can't complain, and I think this book definitely helped. The only negative I could think of is that a lot of the information (if not all) could be found online for free, but for a busy medical student, I think having all the information consolidated into one source for a quick read or review is great.

Summary: Quick, easy read with lots of helpful tips for the entire match process. You can find the information online for free, but this will save a lot of time and make for easy referencing. I'd recommend it highly.
on May 24, 2016
Useful tips. If you read this book prior to your interviews and really read out loud and prepare yourself for answering "off the wall" questions, you'll be prepared. I'm giving it a 4 star because there are some redundancy in the book, but it helps with preparation I presume.
on March 28, 2011
The Successful Match: 200 Rules to Succeed in the Residency Match is a great book for anyone planning to do a residency in the United States. It cleared up misconceptions I had about the match process as an IMG. The book not only provides general advice on how to improve your chances of matching, but specific details about topics ranging from what program directors look for exactly when reviewing your application to specific pointers on performing better during rotations as well as writing better personal statements, etc. If you need to know it to match, this book has the information you need.

My only regret is that I didn't start reading the book until my final year. I recommend that you get a copy of the book as early as possible and start working on improving your resume right off the bat. Knowledge is power in the match game, learn what is going to help you match so that you can take opportunities when they arise. Definitely worth the money, I was really happy with the book.