5.0 out of 5 stars Full of Good Food and Fond Memories

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Not what I expected when I purchased the book, but it will do I guess
Published 28 days ago by Tripp

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of Good Food and Fond Memories, April 23, 2006
This review is from: The Sugar Mill Caribbean Cookbook: Casual and Elegant Recipes Inspired by the Islands (Paperback)
I had been eyeing this book for quite awhile, for more than a year actually, because my husband and I were going to the BVI for our honeymoon. When we finally went on our honeymoon, through dumb luck and fate, we got a room down the road from the Sugar Mill, and we decided to go to their famous restaurant for a night out. That night out turned into one of the most fantastic, memorable dining experiences we'd ever had... The night was like something out of a fancy movie. Blown away by the food, I bought the cookbook at the gift shop after dinner. Flipping through it in the hotel, I almost couldn't wait to go home and try out some of their recipes. I ended up scribbling down drink mixes we had when we went out and about town in the BVI, so this cookbook has turned into a honeymoon food scrapbook for me.

Now, I know that back story makes me a little biased, but I have to say that even if I just bought it without going to the restaurant, I'd still think this cookbook is superb. It's so clearly written and each recipe has a little paragraph "bio" associated with it discussing either its creation, history, or interesting info on the ingredients or the tradition behind the food. That little paragraph adds to the local color and feel that resonates through this whole cookbook. You can almost taste and feel the Caribbean when you read this book. Another thing I really like is that this book will give you the recipe as it's served at their restaurant, adding to the authentic feel of the book... But the book also acknowledges that some of the ingredients easily available to them in the BVI might be hard to impossible to find on the mainland, so they give you feasible substitutions that don't hurt the taste or presentation at all. Also included are little blurbs on the various Caribbean islands, customs, or other interesting facts.

I'd say most of these recipes are what I like to call "grown-up recipes." Meaning, not all of them you'll throw together in 30 minutes, that these recipes are sophisticated, adult foods that will probably require a little planning and time, perfect for special occasions (or a nice dinner you'd like to feel like a special occasion). I know this is a big negative for some people, but for me it's nice to own a recipe book that involves some serious cooking. I own far too many cookbooks with recipes that call for throwing together various canned soups and canned vegetables, or other processed foods like Bisquick or freezer rolls, and baking it for 30 minutes, and serving. It's nice to have a recipe book that doesn't include 45 different ways to use "cream of" Campbell's soups, and talks about cooking with things like star fruit and plantains and all sorts of exotic fruits and ingredients you see at the grocery store and wonder "I wonder what you use that for?" :D This is certainly a "from scratch" cookbook, not a "30 minute meals" sort of deal.

The categories in this book are: Sunrise Specials (breakfast foods), Snacks, Nibbles, and Island Appetizers, Carnival of Soups, Calypso Salads and Side Dishes, Pastas Under the Palms, From the Fish Pot (seafood), Birds of Paradise (poultry), Tropical Meat Waves (all other meat), Sugar Island Sweets (desserts), and Trade Wind Cocktails (an essential for summer parties as it's the drink recipes... :D). Some of my favorite recipes are curried citrus rice, christophene and sausage filled flank steak, lime cream pasta, pina colada pancakes and cake (the latter being my husband's new favorite birthday cake), lobster chowder, and conch chowder. And I have a list of "need to try" recipes from this book as long as my arm.

I love this cookbook. It's the BVI wrapped up in a 245 page book. There are only two downsides as far as I can see to this book... The first one being that it doesn't include this awesome drink recipe that we had while we were there and are just dying to have again but nobody knows how to make... And the second being that every time I cook something from it, my husband and I remember how much fun we had and how beautiful this restaurant was, and then we start missing Tortola terribly... :)

5.0 out of 5 stars the cookin corkster, July 20, 2006
I live in the Florida keys and foods from the islands of the caribbean are all over the islands, however, this book of recipes by far expands ones selection of choices. The recipes are well written for following instructions easily. the added info in the side bars is interesting and easily put to use with other recipes in the book. If you like food from the islands, all the islands of the caribbean, this book is a source for a quick trip to the island of your choice.

I lost my first copy to Wilma (the huricane). Had to buy another because this book is that good. But it, you'll love it! ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, October 25, 2004
My husband and I both love to cook and we picked up this cookbook shortly before our carribean cruise to introduce ourselves to the cuisine. We haven't stopped using the book since. The recipes are easy to follow and a great selection. The ingredients are for the most part easy to find or substitute for. I've won several cook-offs with recipes from this book, the rum glazed ribs and black bottom banana pie is to die for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Concisely written, January 13, 2001
By A Customer
This book presents traditional and non-traditional Caribbean foods in a simple and clear manner. It is an excellent choice for anyone interested in the new, fresh and exuberant Caribbean cooking. Many of the recipes can be reduced in calories by the substitution of simple ingredients. If you like this book, you'll love Angela Spenceley's "A Taste of the Caribbean Cookbook" which also includes a chapter on Bartending in the Islands. Her other cookbooks, "A Taste of the Virgin Islands" and "Just Add Rum! Cookbook" are fabulous and well worth the addition to any good cookbook library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a Trip to the Islands, November 3, 2008
After enjoying my first Caribbean cruise this summer, I came home to search out recipes for some of the wonderful foods I sampled on our trip, and was delighted to find The Sugar Mill Caribbean Cookbook by Jinx and Jefferson Morgan. Captain Morgan could not be more knowledgeable about foods of this region! I started out making the Coconut Shrimp with Vegetables as it seemed to be close to one of the shrimp dishes that won my heart (and palate) this summer, and it was remarkable. The tang of ginger meeting the mellow combination of garlic, peppers,onions, cabbage, eggplant and squash heated up with a splash of hot pepper sauce was exactly what I was looking for. Served over fluffy white rice, it was perfect. Next we tried Pork Chops Martinique, and again the Morgans were right on the mark. Full of interesting side notes about ingredients and traditions, this book has made the delight of our Caribbean vacation linger into the cold autumn.

5.0 out of 5 stars The restaurant is exquisite, so the cookbook must be great!, December 12, 1998
By A Customer
We have fond memories of our honeymoon at the restaurant and inn owned by the authors in the British Virgin Islands. Our memories of the wonderful "dining experiences" rank high among those of our blessed honeymoon. The cookbook lets us "taste" a few of those memories here at home!

5.0 out of 5 stars Caribbean Cookbook, November 11, 2012
Nice authentic recipes. Added to my culinary ability. Old fashioned flavors. Will pass it on to my family. They were excited to know this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good Cookbook and wonderful service, July 5, 2012
Diane L. Wallo (Easton, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I received this cookbook in a very timely fashion. It is full of wonderful recipes and can't wait to explore some of them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, October 29, 2014
Not what I expected when I purchased the book, but it will do I guess

5.0 out of 5 stars Good recipes. The corn soup is amazing, September 3, 2014
Good recipes. The corn soup is amazing!

$19.95 $15.80