5.0 out of 5 stars Provocative, Stimulating and Convincing
Published on January 23, 2007 by Dr. Richard G. Petty

1.0 out of 5 stars Are these stories real? Or made up?
This book is a collection of stories about out of body experiences and such. The problem I have with it is that it's not told from a scientific point of view, there are no references or citations. It seems to me like another person trying to make an easy dollar by slapping together some make-believe stories about the afterlife.

I'm not an Atheist and I would be...
Published 19 months ago by Garrett Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Provocative, Stimulating and Convincing, January 23, 2007
This is an unusual and important book that really delivers on its subtitle: "The Most Convincing Evidence Yet Compiled For The Survival Of Your Soul." The core of the book consists of twenty-three historic and contemporary cases that seem to provide solid proof of the persistence of consciousness after physical death. I had read about a few of the cases before and they are some of the best that I have seen. Each provides evidence for the existence of information - unknown to anyone currently alive - that turns out to be completely accurate. Most of these cases have ben the subject of rigorous checking and detailed examinations and re-examinations.

The book uses an interesting format: a weekend-ling dialogue between an unnamed and perhaps imaginary "Old Man," who gradually imparts his learning and wisdom to a keen but critical acolyte.

The book is rounded out with dialogues on reincarnation and the nature of life after death. There are two appendices: "The Scientific Fallacy," in which the author urges researchers to stop wasting time on proving the proven, and instead to concentrate their efforts on the mechanisms and meaning involved in parapsychological phenomena, and "The Skeptical Quagmire," in which the author exposes some of the methods used to marginalize and even denigrate work in this field.

There is a small but effective list of websites, a bibliography and index. The only nitpicky point was the misspelling of Scott Rogo's name, which is not of any great importance. Except to other nitpickers.

There is a remarkable amount of information in this small book, and even if you know something about the evidence for survival, you will probably learn something new. And if the whole field is something that you've never much thought about, this is an ideal place to start.

I hope that this book is widely read: it's implications are stunning.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Evidence that goes beyond a reasonable doubt, January 28, 2006
Subtitled "The Most Convincing Evidence Yet Compiled for the Survival of the Soul," this book offers a summary of 23 of the best cases from the annals of psychical research as evidence of survival of consciousness at death. The author takes on the role of a student as he learns about the cases while spending a weekend with an elderly mentor, well versed in psychical research, at a mountain retreat in the Appalachians.

The "old man" begins by relating some of the best known out-of-body and near-death experience cases, starting with the "Seattle shoe case," in which a patient told of having seen a beat-up tennis shoe a third-floor ledge of the hospital while she was being resuscitated on a floor below. After each case is summarized, a dialogue between mentor and student ensues as they discuss possible explanations for the phenomena, including the views of professional debunkers. They move from case to case, discussing one in which a comatose man recalled seeing his lost dentures removed by a nurse and placed in the drawer of a crash cart, as well as some extraordinary reports by children and blind people.

From OBEs and NDEs, the discussion moves to cases of spirit communication, including the famous newspaper tests with medium Gladys Osborne Leonard, the R101 disaster involving medium Eileen Garrett, and the strange case of the buried crosses investigated by researcher Hamlin Garland. Before they move from spirit communication to cases of past lives recalled, the old man explains how new scientific findings might account for some of the more confusing aspects concerning the phenomena. Among the past-life regression stories are the "Mission to Millboro," as reported by Marge Rieder, Ph.D. and one reported by Michael Newton, Ph.D. in which two patients relate the same past-life story from two different perspectives.

After the 23 cases are discussed, the student puts a number of "celestial" questions to his teacher, asking such things as what it feels like to die, how souls on the other side occupy themselves, and whether his individuality will be retained on the "other side." While emphasizing that he does not have all the answers, the old man responds based on what he has synthesized from the best available sources.

Overall, this is a very interesting, informative, and intriguing read. Even though I had read or heard about most of the 23 cases summarized, I had forgotten about some and found this to be a very good refresher. For the person new to psychical research, this book would be an excellent introduction as the various cases are definitely impressive. The author (or the "old man") has clearly explored the subject matter and knows how to respond to the debunkers in each case. He concludes with the comment that "scientists need to stop wasting time and resources on attempts to prove the already proven existence of psychic phenomena and concentrate more on determining how it works."

5.0 out of 5 stars An Outstanding Accomplishment, August 21, 2006
Don Evans (Depoe Bay, Oregon) - See all my reviews
The day I received Heaven Confirmed, I was busier than usual with business responsibilities and the accompaning paperwork. That evening, I took care of some essential personal errands that could not wait another day. By the time I returned home and had my first opportunity to sit down and take stock of the day, it was 10:30 p.m. Heaven confirmed was on the kitchen table and I decided to take a brief look at it. When I next checked the time, it was 3:30 a.m...well past my bedtime. I got ready for bed and lay there for a quarter of an hour, still considering various issues presented in the book. Although tired, I realized that my desire to continue reading the book had overwhelmed my need for sleep. When I finished reading the last page of the book, I could see the dawn beginning to peek around the window curtains! This is my testimony that Heaven Confirmed is a "Hard-To-Put-Down" book, as claimed on its cover, and well worth your time.

Mr. Allen has done a masterful job of selecting case studies and experiences from the vast record of mankind's search for spiritual meaning and evidence of our everlasting existence.

Heaven Confirmed is must reading for those of us in the "Baby Boom Generation" as we enter our retirement years, with the knowledge that our life on Earth inevitably must cease someday. The book offers the insight that will yield peace of mind for each of us as we continue on the creative and never-ending path ahead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fear Death No Longer, July 25, 2010
This review is from: The Survival Files: The Most Convincing Evidence Yet Compiled for the Survival of Your Soul (Paperback)
Before reading The Survival Files I would have considered myself an atheist or at least an agnostic. Reading The Survival Files, I found enough excellent evidence for the existence of a soul and its survival after death to open my mind to that possibility. This book is very well written and understandable. For anyone with an open mind, this book is a great place to start research into the possibility of continued life after death. One of the great values of The Survival Files is its well developed and extensive bibliography. I found several books in the bibliography that offered enough additional evidence of survival to convince me that I no longer have to live with the fear of the nothingness of death. I am not yet ready for death but when it comes, I expect to find an interesting and exciting process of reviewing my life and preparing for the next adventure in living. I owe a special thanks to Miles Allen for the thorough development and thoughtful and creative writing of this unique work.

5.0 out of 5 stars "HEAVEN CONFIRMED"- NO DOUBT, August 16, 2006
William Jones (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
For me, Heaven Confirmed does just that-it further confirmed my belief in an afterlife. It's very clear the author has done his research and presented a very compelling case. The doubter's will find it thought provoking and those with some belief will find it convincing. You be the judge, but don't miss this read.

I've bought a ten copies to give friends, and the response has been unanimously favorable. Everybody has been very impressed; some claiming they just couldn't put it down! I strongly recommend this book to believer's and doubter's alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Treat - and Among the Best, February 25, 2013
Deverus (War Eagle, Alabama) - See all my reviews
This was truly a pleasant and attention-grabbing work that ran the gamut on all things "beyond." Whether your search is for Life Between Lives (LBL); Near Death -or Out of Body- Experiences (NDE/OBE); reincarnation; heaven; deceased loved ones; karma; fate; or ghosts, angels and outerspace, etc, this book will serve your quest very well. What makes SURVIVAL FILES particularly fascinating and easily read is the manner in which Allen blends such a wide array of afterlife topics into a seemless conversation between two adults contemplating the evidence at hand, without becoming lost or boring in needless narration. Even more, I found that the book's chapters flowed with the kind of fluid precise logic typically known to be heard from wise old mentors provoking their proteges to instill sound reasoning. By book's end, you should be well served on your interest in Survival - if not, there is a rather exceptional Appendix to address whatever you (or others) may be skeptical of.

SURVIVAL FILES is well deserving of a 5, one which I had previously rated a 4 for quite some time. After having ventured thru countless pages of many other works out there, this one finds itself to be on top for collectors and certainly on the list for mandatory reading in the field.

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of interesting information, January 13, 2011
This book is full of interesting and documented survival after death and out of body experiences. The reason it didn't get 5 stars is that I did not enjoy the writing method. The book is written in a folksy kind of way that for me just didn't work all that well. The information is top notch, I would have liked it to be a little more clinical and less like you were listening to a dialogue with your great uncle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, July 7, 2007
I was sad when I came to the end of Heaven Confirmed (now Survival Files). I was enjoying my visit with the main characters, and the stories were well researched and very encouraging. Looking forward to the sequel :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Are these stories real? Or made up?, March 17, 2013

I'm not an Atheist and I would be glad to hear real stories of this nature, which is why I bought the book in the first place. The problem is there is absolutely nothing which differentiates this book from a pure fiction novel. It even reads like a fiction novel, which is not at all what I was looking for.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, April 5, 2013
I found this to be well written and interesting. After "Proof Of Heaven" I don't think any NDE book will ever get a 5 from me. Nevertheless I enjoyed the reading and various "proofs" offered throughout the text. If you are a student of NDE or just checking it out, this is a book that should be in your collection. I'd start with "Proof Of Heaven" however.

$15.99 $14.24