Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it blink-182 Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 3, 2011
I don't usually write reviews for books I've read, but I just had to share. I have read all 3 ebooks (it is also in print an all-in-one). Hooked in the very first chapter. I am glad that I am blessed with a vivid imagination. I can easily see this as a mini-series somewhere.

Marines, Magic and devastation. Survivors come together with a strong sense of Patriotism and Community. One man's vision for a new America (and a SECRET that he must guard at all costs) and the people who are willing to die to make sure that it happens. The characters are both well developed and likable, though some aren't. Likable that is. Some survivors will become heroes, some will be villains in this new world as they were in the old, but much worse and some will discover a strength in themselves that they never new they had.

Book three ended right when a major battle for survival was nearing. The 1st chapter of book 4 has made me impatient for what will happen next.

I give it 4 stars because I really loved the way it not only drew my attention but kept it (I read late into the night). I literally couldn't put the Kindle down! It would have been 5 stars, but for the typos, weird sentence structures and odd punctuations. It was a little annoying.
1313 comments|216 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2012
I LOVE this book...I have never read this kind of book before, but gave it a shot...Im so glad I did,Angela White tells this story in a way that really takes you to that world..The charactes come to life, and pulls you in to know more about thier new world...Just give it a chance,Im sure you'll enjoy it just much as I did.
11 comment|136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2012
Angela White brings magic and mystery to Life After War. Post Apocalypse fiction is often strictly about Survival, Angela makes it all about life. The charactors are much more than Survivors after a war, they are the human remains of a collapsed society. I cant wait to see what the After-Fathers do with what the Fore-Fathers Destroyed. I love this series and recomend it to Everybody!!!
0Comment|130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2012
The Survivors by Angela White is the story of people trying to survive after a large nuclear exchange. When society breaks down there is no shortage of selfish people doing horrible things to those that are weaker than them. The book puts a pretty graphic face on some of the happenings and is not suitable for young or easily offended readers.

There area couple of things that set this book apart from a lot of other post apocalyptic stories. The first is the mystery hidden behind everything. Several points in the book hint that characters have some important secrets hidden away and that sets a bit of a hook to get the interest of the reader early. The other thing is the presence of magic. Generally it is not an extremely powerful aspect to a person, but there are a few people who seem to have some subtle abilities and one woman who has a much higher capability with it.

Having some many characters play important roles at times seems to dilute the story a bit as it leads to a lot of scene jumping, but I believe as the series progresses these characters will be together leading to a smoother flow. I will also say that there were several characters I didn't like and even the people deemed "good" guys are survivalists. There really is not a black and white to morality the "good" guys do some fairly reprehensible things in order for their group to survive. To me that aspect lends a bit of a boost to the story, it's great for morality to be black and white in a book, but with only the bare minimum of society left that doesn't seem reasonable.

One other thing I will address is the editing. I received a first edition from the author and read and half of it. It left a lot to be desired, but she sent me an updated copy (which is what this review is based on) and it was worlds better. It's not perfect, but it is totally readable for me. Final verdict 3.5 stars with a prediction of a gradual increase as the characters begin to join together through the series.

Review copy provided by the author.
on January 14, 2015
I started reading book 1 because it was free, but as soon as I finished I kept buying the rest in the series. I have preordered book 7 and can't wait for it to come out. This series grabs the imagination and pushes you along.On the edge of your seat literally......this is a page turner. Don't expect to put it down once you've started reading and be prepared to immediately move the next book in the series. Love, Love, Love it!
on January 8, 2015
Well, I had to admit. I was bored, searching through an email I get with books for my Kindle and saw Book 1 of this. It was cheap so what the heck. Then I read, I read and then - HOOKED! I'm on book 5 now and enjoying it thoroughly. Angela, you've done a tremendous job - I hope these are doing well! Great job!

I've found a few technical errors (flipping the safety off her Colt Python - doesn't have one) but truly not a big deal. Does NOT detract from the story line. And do not misunderstand, I am no prude, but no soldier would be smoking dope like they do especially before battle. Or at least, they shouldn't be.

But please take that constructively as I've said, I thoroughly enjoy these and am not criticizing at all. Best of luck with your writing in the future, I suspect you'd do well! Now, back to book 5!
on May 29, 2011
What a great story. I really enjoy Post-Apocalyptic/disaster stories, THE SURVIVORS did not disappoint me! At first, because there is so much going on with all the different characters, I had a hard time keeping everybody/everything straight. I would find myself going back and re-reading portions just to make sure I didn't miss anything. However, as the story progressed and I became familiar with everybody, that wasn't an issue anymore. I was surprised at how the story was able to really draw me in. However, I was surprised at the abrupt (to me) ending, but then the author explained on the very next page that the Ebook version had to be split into 3 serial editions due to size. Fortunately, the next in the series can be downloaded in just seconds! If you enjoy Post-Apocalyptic stories with a lot of action and page turning suspense, then you don't want to pass this series of books up!
on January 12, 2014
I returned this book, even though it was free, I don't want it on my Kindle. And I have to wonder what the heck book the star reviewers read. It sure as heck was not the book I read!!

I read the first 100 or so pages of this and had to give up.

I really wanted to like this book. I really did.

BUT having the USA end on the Mayan calendar end date was the first clue this book was going to go off track. then references to a cabal of 2000 year old Conspiracy whose members are going to bring down civilization for no apparent reason. Come on, give me a break!!

Then we have the US military obeying illegal orders to murder our citizens (ain't gonna happen). No member of the US Marine Corps or the Army is going to issue or follow those illegal orders. They are in violation of so many concepts that beat into them from boot camp on. Things like Duty Honor country.

And then there are unarmed civilians overrunning highly trained and armed military organizations and killing every armed Marine in a base but one and a kid? BTW What are Marines doing in the middle of New Mexico anyway?

Then we get witches with magic powers? Next armed bandits that are disorganized and over-running the armed civilians that just took out the US Marines and supposed have the arms they took from the Marines?

And to top it off, in less than a month all the men in sight have turned into sadistic murdering rapists and worse. As a man (and former Marine) I find that to be very offensive.

We won't even get into Marine rank structure. Ok I will. A Lance Corporal is the 3rd lowest rank in the Corps. Every enlisted person goes through that rank within 2 years or so of enlisting. No lifer would have that rank for long, yet we have a guy that has been in the Corps for 10 years or more with the rank of E-3. Give me a break.

This could have been a good book and a good series, but failed horribly.
66 comments|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2015
I enjoyed this book so much I bought the rest of the series. This is from a guy that has selected only free books for the past years. This book includes books 1, 2. What an amazing imagination to arrive and to describe in realistic details what might happen after a global war. That coupled with some sci-fi, along with great characters has grabbed me. I did finish the first in this series today and after submitting this review, I well open book 3.
on November 9, 2011
This is one of the hardest books I've ever struggled through. Aside from it being written like a Harlequin Romance with paper-thin characters, the author seems to know almost nothing about anything she includes in the book.

Some examples:
-Everyone in the military is NOT a "soldier." She calls Marines and Air Force pilots "soldiers." If you really want a bloody nose, go into a bar and call a Marine a "soldier." He'll correct you the first time, and give you a strong reminder the next.

-The author doesn't have the first clue about the effects of nuclear explosions. For example, they don't cause earthquakes, worldwide tsunamis, or, for low altitude bursts, widespread EMP. Only surface bursts create long lasting radiation clouds, and no country with the ability to launch nuke missiles will cause surface bursts because of the reduced damage. For the more effective air bursts, radiation, especially the heavy and more dangerous particles, will "wash out" with rain in a very short period of time. The purpose of nuclear weapons is to destroy war-making capabilities, not to inflict maximum casualties.

-A portable heater powered by D-cell batteries? Oh, come on! There's silly, and then there is preposterous. I'd say "stupid," but I don't want to be insulting.

I wonder if the author ever got past 9th grade English. She doesn't know how to use punctuation properly. Her misuse of commas and use of apostrophes on plural words is terribly distracting. And she doesn't know the difference between homonyms (beech- beach, which- witch). This book is in serious need of at least high school level editing.

And some things are just annoying. Why are all the major characters blue-eyed? And the good guys also have blond hair. I really got annoyed by descriptions of a character's mental state described in terms of his or her blue eyes: "her curious blue eyes," "his furious blue eyes," "her exhausted blue eyes." Arrrgh!

Run into a blockage with the story line? No problemo! Just imbue the character with (oo-oo) magic powers! Problem solved! And it's really cool how people magically figure out how to get gasoline for their vehicles (vehicles which seem to become plentiful after the first part of the book when EMP knocks them all out). It would be interesting to hear how the author thinks the survivors manage to get the fuel out of underground tanks when there is no electrical power for pumps.

My recommendation? If you want a good post apocalypse story, keep on looking. This one is a waste of time.
88 comments|124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse