Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 8, 2006
I enjoyed this one as much as the first one. In The Sword in the Grotto, Araminta must figure out the perfect birthday present for Sir Horace's 500th Birthday (he's a ghost). This volume finds Uncle Drac in a bit of a pickle and our two intrepid adventurers shoveling bat poo and exploring deep, dark caves. It is a trip out to a mushroom farm that nets them an idea for the perfect gift for Sir Horace...but will this trip through the secret passage and into the secret grotto be their last? You simply must read The Sword in the Grotto and find out how Araminta and Wanda overcome the biggest of obstacles and find out if they get that sword for their favorite 500 year old ghost!

Overall, this is a quick easy read that would work well as a read aloud (for about ages 3-6) or an excellent chapter book for ages 6-9, older kids probably won't enjoy this simply because it's more of a campy type of creepy than spin-tingling type of creepy and the illustrations are a nice accompaniment to the story! Both of my kids will be happy to read the next book in the series when it comes out...and this one so clearly left the door open for yet another Addams family type of ghoulish fun fest!
on May 25, 2016
{My thoughts} – Sir Horace is one of the ghosts that Araminta has found living among them in her house. The other is Edmund. Both have become friends with Araminta and Wanda one of the new residents of her home.

These books are mostly mystery and adventure and they take Araminta and Wanda on some adventures with a bit of mystery tied into them.

In this book Sir Horace is about to celebrate his 500th birthday and Araminta wants to get him the best present she can find. While Araminta and Wanda are out running and errand with Wanda’s dad for Araminta’s Uncle Drac they come across what Araminta believes to be the best present ever for Sir Horace.

They mutually decide to go through the same secret passage that Araminta had used in the first book as a means of getting to the grotto in which the present has been left. Edmund tries to stop them from going any further but fails in his duty. The girls trek on and apparently they get themselves trapped.

Are they able to get free or do they stay trapped? What happens if they can’t get out? How will anyone find them?

Many questions and they all get answered within the pages of the book. We even get to learn much more about Edmund and Sir Horace. Things that we didn’t already know, things that help the storyline along!

I can’t wait to start the next book and see what adventure Araminta and Wanda will be going on!
on September 1, 2015
I gotta say, as a grown man I am sort of grooving on Araminta Spookie. Book two in the successful kids' series by Angie Sage makes me wish Araminta had been around when I was a kid; her adventurous, bossy personality, mixed with that of her mousy but spunky-when-she-needs-to-be best friend Wanda meshes perfectly, and here gets both girls into trouble when Araminta is determined to get Sir Horace - one of two ghosts in the house, the one who inhabits an old suit of armor - a gift for his upcoming 500th birthday. A chance outing to a mushroom farm, where Araminta and Wanda spot a rusty old sword in a cave that starts Araminta plotting to come back and retrieve it for Sir Horace, gets the girls into all sorts of problems when they find themselves trapped in a dark, dank cave ... slowly filling with water as high tide comes in. Without putting my finger on it, there is just something charming about the girls, Aunt Tabby, Uncle Drac, and the wacky mansion they all live in, combined with Araminta's thirst for adventure, that make these "kids" books as much fun for adults to read, as well. Recommended, for either your young ones or the young one in you. ****
on September 29, 2014
This was book two in the Araminta Spookie series and continued the story of Araminta and her new housemate, Wanda Wizzard. Wanda and Araminta are exploring the hidden tunnels in Spookie House when they stumble upon a small grotto containing a super old sword. Since Sir Horace is about to turn 500, Araminta and Wanda decide that the sword would be the perfect gift for him! The only problem is that Araminta and Wanda somehow are locked inside the grotto and the tide is rising. Edmund, Sir Horace’s faithful page comes to their rescue and escorts them out of the grotto while also telling the story of how he and Sir Horace were killed.
on September 10, 2012
Mad scientists can have kids too. Yup Dr. Monstrosity is a dad and loves to force feed his kids a steady diet of creepy children's literature. Actually they love the stuff! I bought The Sword in the Grotto for my eight year old daughter. She's hooked R. L. Stine's Goosebumps books thanks to me; so I thought let me get her going on another series of ghostly kid's horror books. With Goosebumps it took some prodding before I got my daughter to read the series on her own. I basically just picked up Goosebumps: Deep Trouble 2 and started reading it to both of my daughters (yes even my 6 year old is into this stuff!). I decided to read this book myself and dangle the juicy parts of the story in front of my 8 year old like a carrot. I hope it works. I think it will, the book is pretty darn exciting.
Read the rest here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A1MFKG4TT73AZO
on January 24, 2012
The Sword in the Grotto is a fun story that holds the attention of children. I have been reading this story to children that range from 9 to 11 years of age for the past few years. They keep asking for more, and have been checking it out in our school library.
on September 10, 2013
They were good but they did not compare to her Septimus Heap Books which I've read three or four times. If I had read Araminta Spookie first I probably would have had higher praise for them. I plan to read them again, I'm just not sure when.
on September 12, 2013
This is the same review as the others on this page. Years ago these were purchased and I do not know why all of a sudden you need a review on these products.
on October 7, 2015
The greatest mystery book ever! The greatest mystery book ever!
The greatest mystery book ever! The greatest mystery book ever! Really. Truly.
on February 2, 2009
THe kids really enjoyed this series. This is the second book and all of them were truely a delight. Hope Angie Sage writes more!~