4.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for TotW--3 stars for SotF--and 5 stars for FotF
Published on October 19, 2006 by Jeff Edwards

3.0 out of 5 stars Got these for the wife.
The books seem to be cheaply made. First time we have had a book that is small in size yet so thick the backing falls apart when you open the book to read them.

Not well made at all.
Published 18 months ago by EhlerDave

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for TotW--3 stars for SotF--and 5 stars for FotF, October 19, 2006
This review is from: The Sword of Truth, Box Set II, Books 4-6: Temple of the Winds; Soul of the Fire; Faith of the Fallen (Mass Market Paperback)
I believe that judging this series as a whole will favorably argue that Goodkind is every bit the equal to Tolkien -- even though Terry Goodkind himself would probably balk at such a comparison. I have it on good authority a very large chunk of Sword of Truth fans are not even typical Fantasy readers in general (or at all). The social & political upheaval that is covered within the entire storyline is truly epic in scope. The first three books (Wizards First Rule, Stone of Tears & Blood of the Fold) are easily my all-time favorite Fantasy novels. Not an easy place to be in my opinion writing in the shadows of Terry Brooks, J.K. Rowling, George R.R. Martin and the mighty Tolkien (to name a few). While I believe books 1 & 2 are STILL the best, in this boxed set, two remarkable stories stand out.

First...Temple of the Winds is simply AWESOME. While after initially finishing Blood of the Fold I was slightly disappointed, after re-reading it several years later, I decided that it was actually very good...but Temple of the Winds surpasses it in every way (IMHO). The struggles against Emperor Jagang and his evil plots to conquer the world as he sees it is amazing. Just the very idea of the Temple I found to be incredibly original all the way around. The eventual outcome and how Richard had to lower himself in order to save his people -- and his beloved Kahlan -- was nothing short of compelling.

Second...Soul of the Fire was my first (and only) serious disappointment in this entire series to date. While I wasn't very pleased with 'Pillars of Creation' and how Goodkind totally changed gears on his faithful readers by shuffling his main characters into microscopic roles (they only appeared in the final 40 pages or so), in SotF he did a very similar act. He created the brand new city of Anderith and immersed us head-first into this entirely new plot-line and kept Richard & Kahlan to nearly secondary characters altogether. Even though Pillars almost eliminated Richard & Kahlan, I STILL found the overall storyline to be quite entertaining...but with SotF it just fell flat for me. At least half of the novel kept me interested, but every time we went back to the problems in Anderith, MY interest virtually died.

Third...Faith of the Fallen really IS long on commentary by Richard, almost as though he were running for office. What I found to be utterly compelling however is that to the people Richard is virtually preaching to, what he is saying actually FITS 100%. The worth of souls ARE great, and Richard sees this, and has this monumental struggle to prove it to those in bondage to the Order. The pacifists of this world will never really fully understand what this means, because they are so busy trying to iron over any so-called problems and shelter their families from the real-world consequences that almost ALWAYS happen when you take a back seat to the oppression that threatens to consume the world as we know it. In short, I loved this book. If you put aside your political beliefs, and the outright incorrect way in which many attempt to connect FotF to Atlas Shrugged, LOOK at the situation that Richard finds himself forcibly immersed into...how ELSE can he express himself and talk sense into those who passively sit by while the evil-doers of the Order slaughter innocent lives all in the name of the Maker? Goodkind got it totally right here and I wouldn't change a word.

All in all I would rate the series 5-stars.

Wizards First Rule 5 Stars

Pillars of Creation 4 Stars

Naked Empire 5 Stars

Chainfire 5 Stars

Phantom 5 Stars

I just wish that Terry could write faster...but if it in any way compromised the quality of the stories, I am perfectly happy waiting however long it takes to read whatever he writes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing books, December 27, 2009
I want to start with how happy i was that i did not read this popular series when i was younger. Just finishing up college and have not been able to relate to fantasy novels for a a couple of years tell i read these books.

What makes it different?

Well the world he creates is brilliant in its originality, the characters have a beautiful development (sound cheesy but extremely true), plot is phenomenal in each book, and i can keep going.

The greatest feature of the series is Goodkind's philosophy. Its beautiful in how real it is. I think the best way to describe it without giving anything away away is polarity between Wizards Rule's/ stupidity of man and the message of Faith of the Fallen/ beauty of man. For those who have not read the book, the characters act like people would in normal life- the good,the bad, the ugly, and the beautiful.

Advice- The last 300 pages of faith of the fallen need to be read in 2-3 days. Trust me make sure when you get to the last 300 pages that you have time to read it because you will end up not sleeping and skipping errands so you wont have to put the book down.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2nd set is very good, though I wish it focused more on the main characters, December 12, 2010
orbops (Torrance, CA) - See all my reviews
After reading the first boxed set, I eagerly read through the second boxed set. Each novel follows the same structure as the first 3 books, introducing new realms and new characters. The only problem I have with these books is that a good 1/4 of each novel is spent delving into the new realm or environment in which Richard and Kahlan are thrown into. It's a great backstory, but it is too much backstory. It's a little frustrating because I want to read more of the main characters, and it seems like some of the original minor characters like Verna and Ann get set aside in this set.

This is one of the first fantasy series that I've read that is really gritty, so there are lots of bad things happening throughout the novels (just like in the first boxed set).

Overall, I'm very eager to continue with the 3rd boxed set!

3.0 out of 5 stars Got these for the wife., July 16, 2013

Not well made at all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Losing It's Steam, February 12, 2011
Book 4 is awesome and I couldn't put it down. However, things start going south when you hit Book 5. The only thing that has kept me reading are the characters, whom I have already fallen in love with. I'm not sure what's happened with the stories...either Goodkind got lazy or ran out of ideas OR his editors got lazy not caring about what they put on the shelves. As a writer, I know the editors are key in helping the writer shape the story into something consistent, but I think they may have taken a back seat because Goodkind's books got so popular. It's almost as if they said, "We don't have to edit these books as tightly as we did before. Goodkind's fans will buy it up anyway."

"Soul of the Fire" starts out with Richard and the Birdman pursuing the "chicken that's not a chicken", and though Kahlan thinks they're both crazy, she ends up being terrorized by this monster chicken as well, her life in danger. I couldn't stop laughing, and not in a good way. Then they leave the village to set out on this quest that Zedd urges them to pursue, with such urgency to the task...and they stop and contemplate what they're going to do next for a couple of CHAPTERS. So much for urgency. I really read the 5th book thinking, "I sure hope this all has a point," and thankfully, the fabulous ending of the book saved it, leaving me feeling 85% satisfied with the resolution, which is what kept me moving on to the next book.

Book 6 left me completely frustrated through the whole story, wondering where the hell it was going with Nikki's crazy quest of "Richard has the answer, but I don't know what the question is." She puts EVERYONE'S life in danger for this personal quest where she doesn't even know what she's looking for. Again, the ending redeemed the story, but this time I left feeling about 65% satisfied. Unfortunately, it just keeps getting worse after that.

Books 1-4 of Goodkind's stories are really good, but I would highly recommend NOT buying the entire series. Read them one at a time if you can get through them. I bought the entire series and just because I didn't want to have wasted my money, I'm TRUDGING through the remaining books. I've been on "Chainfire" (Book 9) for about 8 months, the book on my nightstand, waiting to be read. I just can't seem to get through more than 10 pages before I put it down disgusted saying, "Get to the freakin' point!" It has NOT given me any desire to read Goodkind's latest book.

I highly recommend books 1-4. GREAT stories, wonderful characters you fall in love with, and a world alive and full of magic. Just don't spoil it by reading the others.

That's my two pence...
Arial

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best fantasy series I own., February 20, 2014
The characters are diverse and entertaining. There's good humour, love, hate, passion and plenty of intrigue. The plots have many twists and unexpected turns. I read the full set back to back over just three months and couldn't get enough of it!
The story sets off at a good pace and I found the books to be an easy read with action intrigue or entertainment on almost every page.

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific series of books, February 8, 2014
Terry Goodkind is a great storyteller. I like his stories better than the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I love to get lost in the world he has created that has such real and interesting characters. My heart aches when I read the love story he has created between Richard and Kahlan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series!, January 27, 2014
I love the Sword of Truth series and this is my 2nd time through. I borrowed the set for the first time from a friend in college and decided to pick my own up.

It has a great story that keeps me on edge most of the time, at least when its not going through chapters of background story, but for the most part it all ties together which I love.

An awesome series all together, and I highly recommend them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection, August 7, 2013
Talia (TULSA, OK, United States) - See all my reviews
Goodkind was still on a roll when he wrote these books. It wasn't until book 7 came around that his words started becoming preachy and his stories lost momentum.

All three books in this box set are great reads, and I recommend them to anyone who enjoyed Wizard's First Rule.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sword of Truth Box Set, July 13, 2010
This author rocks...you will not be able to put these books down. Don't be intimated by the thick books...you will finish them in no time and will start the next one. Best books I've ever read. I introduced my teenage son to the first book (he never reads) and he could not put it down. A must read even if your not typically a fantasy book reader.

$26.97 $21.11