Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Sword Volume 2: Water (Sword (Image Comics)) (v. 2)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon June 19, 2011
After her family was killed by 3 super powered strangers Dara Brighton discovered a magic sword her father hid from the family. Now she's hunting the killers and has the power to finally stop them.

With this book The Sword swings into high gear, offering the first of 3 apocalyptic battles against Dara's foes. The first half is quite slow as she and her friends track down the first killer, the water-controlling Zakros but once she does the action never stops.

The Luna's really think through their own story, giving both Dara and Zakros impressive powers but with limits, and the battle is choreographed like a movie with the action flowing neatly from panel to panel, scene to scene. It's a major improvement over the usual American comic where people swing their fists while reciting their life story.

My only real complaint is that, like another reviewer, I had the cover come off in my hands during my first reading. If you see this in a store make sure the binding is solid.
on September 22, 2015
Dara Brighton is on the run from the authorities and on the trail of the three siblings who killed her parents and sister. Her best friend Julie and random funeral goer Justin are along for the ride since they are accomplices to her escape from killing some would-be kidnappers in the last issue. Justin was a student of Dara's dad who remembered fantastic stories the father told in his college class: a man named Demetrios lived 4000 years ago on the island of Crete. Four siblings showed up with miraculous elemental powers and demanded control of the island. One brother, Phaistos, wanted total control so the other three plotted against him. They created a sword that could kill him and would grant the wielder superhuman powers. They gave the sword to Demetrios who did the job. Then Demetrios turned on them (since the sword would kill them too) and forced them to live in hiding for thousands of years. In later stories, one of the siblings used to hang out in the Bahamas a lot. So Dara heads there with Justin and Julie to find him. After a long trip from Washington, D.C., to the Bahamas, and several days of fruitless searching, she finds the man and they have a massive fight.

I like the overall expanding story, with more information given about the history of the siblings. But the plot runs on lots of coincidences and contrivances. When Dara and friends make it to Miami they can't afford a regular ferry ticket but they happen to meet a family that's going over on their private yacht. The family eventually recognizes her as that crazy woman from TV that killed her family and a bunch of other people, but just in time some pirates attack the yacht. Dara is able to subdue the pirates and they escape, suddenly making the family trusting and helpful. The final battle is very exciting and over-the-top in a good way, so I am going to stick around to see what's going to happen in the next volume.

Parental advisory--like the first issue, this has a lot of violence, including hacked limbs and torsos, along with some foul language and an unlikely sexual relationship (with just a little backside nudity and discussion).
on March 11, 2009
To start out with, I've got to say that I'm not the biggest fan of the Luna Brothers. I read both "Girls" and "Ultra", which were good, but nowhere near as good as this. The only complaint that I have for all three,including "The Sword", is that all of the characters, both male and female look exactly the same. This is something that I feel that the Luna's really need to work on, but I guess I shouldn't judge since I'm not an artist. I am a writer however, and these guys have talent, which is truly displayed in this volume of "The Sword". I enjoyed this volume even better than the first, and I think this is because Dara starts taking some revenge on those that killed her family. I don't want to ruin this book for the people out there that haven't read it, but I do want to say that if you like adventure, magic, and aren't offended by a little gore, this is the title for you. Plus, the bond that Dara makes with her traveling companions is awesome as well. You don't get enough of that in graphic novels these days. I have found my new favorite title.
Peace and Love,
Jake
on October 18, 2009
I loved the first book in the series and I wasn't disappointed by this one. It might not have the grandios build that the first book had, but what can you do when this is the second in a four book piece (or is it three). Anyway, I would recommend it to anyone who read the first book and liked what they read.
on February 18, 2010
The Luna Brothers' epic "The Sword" is the sort of comic that fans will press on their non-comic reader friends.
It's that good.
It achieves that wonderful balance of being accessible to both people new to comics as well as the long term fans.
Plot? Magic sword causes havoc in present day USA. But it's so much more - the pacing and characterisation make this worth seeking out.
If your budget can manage it, buy all three volumes. You'll enjoy reading the chapters one after the other.
Those of us following comic have to wait a month between installments.
The original comic is currently working towards it's conclusion, so it's all waiting for you.

A word of caution - this is a comic about what a magic sword can do to people, so the violence is a level or two beyond what you may be expecting.
If you can get by that, you're in for one of the best reading experiences you're had in years.
on June 5, 2010
Let me start off by saying I love this series and highly recommend it. Now here is the heart of the matter. I almost never write reviews simply because anything I'd like to say about a book has already been said before and usually better than I could have expressed. Here is my problem with this book and the reason I feel it important to share with you all. I literally finished this book 25 minutes ago and when I got to the last 6 or 7 pages THE DAMN COVER CAME OFF IN MY HANDS!!!! Now I'm sure alot of you will think this is a fluke or something, and normally so would I. Heres the kicker, the same thing happened to me a few months ago with another Image Comics trade paperback, POWERS "SUPERGROUP". So, please at least be aware before buying this or any other Image trade that these are pretty cheaply made and have weak ass binding. Happy reading all!
on March 25, 2015
The book fell apart on the first read! Story was good, kind of formulaic though.
on June 11, 2015
Received book fast BUT book started to fall apart. Oh well still good read