Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Takeaway: 20 Unforgettable Life Lessons Every Father Should Pass On to His Child
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on May 21, 2009
Karyn and Pat Williams have given us a valuable gift...easily readable but spiritually deep and should be required reading for parents and their children. They've shared excellent advice in the form of twenty "Takeaways"...supported by their own life events, some joyful and others painful. A terrific book that I'll be buying for several folks and recommending to many others.
on April 24, 2009
Stop what you're doing! You need to read this book. If the title alone doesn't captivate you, the read will. Written by father and daughter "team", Pat and Karyn Williams, this book will take you on a journey that will both inspire you and put a smile on your face.

Each chapter is a story that involves a life lesson passed on to Karyn by her dad, a situation where that lesson came into play, and then Dad's take on it. The interplay between the two, and both points of view is truly wonderful. At times outright funny, it is always heart-warming. A page turner that will leave you wishing Pat Williams was your dad, or at least remind you of those "annoying" moments your parents gently instilled a lesson in the most mundane of moments.

This book is a testament to the fact that, with a little (or a lot) of attention paid to your child or children, they can actually turn out to be the people we always hoped they would be. Karyn is obviously an intelligent, well read and rounded individual who has learned from her very successful dad how to glean the most from life. In summation: READ THIS! PAY ATTENTION. You'll be VERY glad you did. My congrats to both writers.
on July 25, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book; but it is more than just a book. It is a guide on lessons children learn from there parents, and about how to apply those lessons in life--simple lessons. A Seat Belt--so simple, but it is an excellent example about how little lessons can grow and flourish into strengths later in life, or in this case within a few years of getting a licence. Karyn Williams did a suburb job on this piece, I feel her love of her dad was proven very strong in that, it was the epicenter of the book, but more important it is the epicenter of their relationship. All parents contribute to the growth of their children, and Pat did that--but it both parties have to work on keeping a heartfelt relationship strong and the William's did that--I recommend this book to all who want to see if parenting well pays off--the answer is a big YES.
on April 30, 2009
I recently reconnected with Karyn who I know personally through friends in Orlando and I saw she had written a book with her father. When I read the title, my first reaction was simply, "I have to have this book." The first reason was because I am a new father and want to learn from other people's experiences and the second reason was to support my friend's project. The book arrived on my doorstep this morning and I took it to work with me and I found myself not being able to put the book down. I read it on breaks at work and just finished it tonight shortly after my daughter was sleeping. The book was full of wonderful advice from both Karyn's perspective and her father's. I truly enjoyed reading about the family dynamics and often found myself relating to some of their experiences. This is a great book for adults and teenagers to read and it comes highly recommended. I hope you will find these lessons as useful as I will when it comes time to have some of the talks and moments Pat was able to share with his daughter. Congrats Pat on yet another great book that I couldn't put down, and Karyn, thanks for sharing your stories as I hope they will inspire others to live life to the fullest.
on July 26, 2013
This was an outstanding book, which is a must for all fathers to pass on to their children. Each chapter has a lesson which you can relate to in your every day activities. I got three copies, one for myself and one for my daughter 22 and son 20. They loved it and are applying it to the challenges they meet in their lives as they mature.
on May 4, 2009
This book should be required reading for EVERY parent and child. Pat & Karyn Williams have written a timeless collection of some of the most important lessons in life. Raising my children, I often wondered if they were really learning anything from me. Karyn is living proof that our kids ARE watching us and learning from us even when we don't think we're getting through. I have bought a copy of this book for each of my children, and pray that they will take to heart the wisdom Karyn has passed on. The book is written in such a conversational and reader-friendly style that you'll find you won't be able to put it down. Also, if you haven't already, you have GOT to hear the companion song, "Taking You With Me." It is absolutely amazing....and will bring you to tears. The best way to find it is on Karyn's website, [...]
on January 17, 2010
Father and daughter tell an engaging story laced with lessons from which every family can learn. Pat Williams is a successful business man and motivational speaker, yet made time to raise 19 children of various cultural backgrounds. Neither fame nor fortune were the elements of success, but rather the relationships, love, values and common sense lessons were the "take aways". Inspite of all the distractions and influences kids experience, if their home provides the right "take aways" they will be able to stay on course and succeed in life. Pat and Karyn share a warm conversation that will inspire you with what really matters in raising children you can be proud of and who can be proud of you.
Sheryl Dawson
Total Career Success
Author Job Search: The Total System (3rd Ed)
on May 13, 2009
I say this is beyond what I expected... I say that because I don't have kids, I'm not married, but I am dear friends with Karyn Williams so I had to get this book. I did not expect that it would touch me in the way it did because I expected this to be a read for fathers, daughters, etc. I was wrong! This book is a must read. It's fantastic. Pat and Karyn have done a terrific job outlining the life lessons and "takeaways" and it is something that can touch the heart of every reader. I am going online to buy a second book to give to my brother - who is a father - because I think he'll really enjoy it. And I enjoyed it too much to just give my book away!

Chris Blair
Nashville, TN
on April 24, 2009
"The Takeaway" is a great book! The 20 lessons inside changed the way I think. I don't have kids yet - but when I do, I'll have a new manual that will help me along the way. Pat Williams, who has 19 children, (and that makes him an expert) has real insight into life's lessons and how to pass these little nuggets of wisdom along to the reader . And Karyn's witty stories will warm and touch your heart and show her (the daughter's) perspective. What a great read!! I love the story of how this book even came to life...GET IT NOW!!