Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing STEM

on February 15, 2011
As someone who watched Rand Paul's Senate race from the beginning, when it was considered highly unlikely that he'd ever be able to beat establishment Republican candidate (and former Democrat) Trey Grayson in a primary, I find that the title and content of this extremely well-written book sum up perfectly both Paul's rise to the top and the movement that got him there. Love 'em or hate 'em, there's no doubt that tea partiers had a serious impact on the outcome this past November, and Paul's election to the Senate is a prime example of just that. Without the force of the tea party movement, sick of politics as usual and ready to support an outsider, there's no way an opthamologist with little professional political experience would have been able to first beat Kentucky's Secretary of State and then Attorney General. This book not only details Paul's journey - including entertaining stories about run-in's with some of his more establishment colleagues - but it also lays out the principles that Paul stands by. Not surprisingly, Paul's core beliefs mirror the concerns held by members of the tea party movement across the nation. I think this book will appeal not only to tea partiers seeking to reaffirm their own convictions, but to those interested in truly understanding the movement rather than maligning it. It's an easy, fun and inspiring read, and I highly recommend it.
88 comments|129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 23, 2011
When I got this book I decided to read it right away. I was at ground zero in Kentucky during the whole campaign and his painting of the landscape is completely accurate. The description of this book should be more about the "Liberty" movement than the Tea Party. His views on foreign policy (which take up 20%+ of the book) are the most anti-war in all of US politics. He does more to break down the bad policy that was established in the last 30 years by the GOP.

He is not light on the Democrats but, he does focus mainly on GOP politics. He also discusses the interview from his side in terms of the Maddow interview. I suggest anyone who reads this and comes away with "He's too extreme" are more likely than not partisan by nature. This book is a big mirror and he points it at both parties as well as himself. He and Jack Hunter have written a memorable book in such a short period of time. I can't wait till they develop the next book.
VINE VOICEon January 13, 2012
Rand Paul is an interesting political figure who was elected to the Senate to represent the Commonwealth of Kentucky as a member of the group of Tea Party candidates. The book that he has written is a combination of his take on what the Tea Party is and how it operates, his campaign and what his positions on various issues are.

Paul spends the majority of time dealing with his campaign and relations with the Tea Party. His view of the Tea Party is quite different from mine, however I feel confident that his view is based on his actual experience with them. In my case, I can't agree with him on how the Tea Party functions or what they stand for, but that may buttress his argument that they are very independent. While he sees people of all colors and persuasions in the Tea Party in Kentucky, my local Tea Party has sent out several racist e-mails and is as white as the driven snow. Also, the Tea Parties form my area share information, events, e-mails and member lists, where in Paul's Kentucky, apparently they maintain almost total independence.

In dealing with the issues, as he sees them, he does not provide a lot of depth to his positions. He does correct some misinformation from the campaign and I believe he is less radical than what was presented in the media, however, he has a bad habit of labeling things as "unconstitutional" without stating why he believes that or what Articles he believes are being violated. He quote heavily from Jefferson as a source, however Jefferson was one of the few leaders who did not attend the convention and have input into the document. That tends to leave what Jefferson says as what Jefferson believes, not what the framers meant.

I can only give this book three stars, as he doesn't go into a lot of detail about positions and he doesn't do a good job of backing up his arguments about constitutionality. It does not represent how I feel about Paul politically and were he to go into more detail I would have given the book five stars.

Overall, the book is an interesting and quick read that should be read by people of all political persuasions. I don't know what Paul's future in politics holds, however I sense he may be a leader and is therefore someone to watch in the coming years.
on April 8, 2014
Senator Rand Paul is the man. He succinctly delivers blows to his opponents - on Obamacare: "It's a cost issue, not access" BOOM. In this book he's actually much more harsh and more frequent attacks to the Republican establishment and the neocons than Democrats. Senator Paul believes in limited government - many of the issues that the Republicans and Democrats debate over are nowhere to be found in this book because his view is why would the government be involved to begin with. I skipped over the first few chapters that are a bit of rah rah for the Tea Party but once Senator Paul dives into the issues (Federal Reserve, Foreign Policy, Social Security, Healthcare) the book is completely bi-partisan, it is simply a blue-print for a more limited and smaller federal government.

I'm not disappointed I purchased this book but I'd hesitate to recommend it to someone else because he doesn't always outline his solutions. I bought the book solely to learn about his details for fixing healthcare in the US - on press shows he stresses the same point that because of a free market laser eye surgery costs have decreased - sure enough this is the same example of free market healthcare he includes in the book. But there's a SLIGHT problem...laser eye surgery is ELECTIVE surgery...so how does the free market economy handle a heart attack? Cancer? Diabetes? Bad Back? Erectile Dysfunction? I have my thoughts on how this would work but it would take a significant push by the Federal government to get us there (you'd need to completely overhaul the insurance industry) and I'm wondering how Senator Paul who believes in limited Federal government would accomplish this.

To have a section on health care cost containment and simply state that there's a Free Market Solution isn't enough when I'm buying a book. It's bad enough that the talk show hosts don't ask you to explain how this would work but to not give the reader this info is a bit of a letdown.

I could also due without the constant referral and linkage back to "this is what our founders thought". I understand this probably appeals to his political base. The Constitution starts with We The People...not We the founding fathers in 1780s think this is what government should be like in 2010s. The Constitution is a working document although I do enjoy Rand pointing out how badly people like Pelosi abuse the Constitution.

Senator Paul does a good job explaining the Tea Party "concept". To an outsider they seem disorganized with lots of different voices...and that's because it still is a local movement. If I'm Senator Paul I try to distance myself from some of the other tea party members. I'm sure he needs some of their fundraising support, but his message is so much more clear, succinct, and I think on target with what the majority of Americans think.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2014
The first time I tried to read this book, I read it with an attitude of I hate these red neck, right wing nut cases who rant and rave on Faux News. Many months later I began to listen to Rand Paul and I thought he made good sense. So I opened the book again and read it with a much different attitude. Now, I have to admit that I was wrong. I realized that at least man thought much like I did. We both want less Federal government intrusion into states affairs. We both want less fraud,waste, and abuse. We both want less war. We both want to eliminate "pork" spending and earmarks on proposed legislation. And we both want the Federal government to seriously work toward reducing the national debt and a balanced budget.
on December 6, 2014
Rand Paul, elected to the U.S. Senate from Kentucky in 2010, attributes his victory to voter discontent over government. He believes the voters want changes to the Federal government status quo. He campaigned against Federal government spending which has created a $13 trillion debt. Paul criticizes spending on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and opposed the Federal health care plan.

The authors believe the role of government is "to protect our liberties" and not to provide economic protections. He sees the Tea Party movement as a protest against the taxes supporting government programs. There is no formal Tea Party structure, but the term symbolizes disenchanted voters.

Rand Paul's father Ron was one of just four members of Congress to support Ronald Reagan for President in 1976. Rand Paul notes that while President Reagan increased military spending due to the Cold War threat that this need for high military spending no longer exists. He also questions why military spending is greater now than during the Cold War.

President George W. Bush spent more money than most other Presidents. The authors believe Republicans should not be afraid to criticize other Republicans, especially when they are "big government conservatives".

Senator Jim Bunning supported "pay as you go", a rule the Senate had adopted. He voted against legislation for unemployment compensation benefits because he felt it violated this rule. Bunning's fellow Kentucky Senator, Mitch McConnell, did not like Bunning's philosophy and wanted Bunning out of the Senate. Bunning could not raise enough money to run for reelection and he chose not to run. Paul defended Bunning and ran for the seat. Dick Cheney and Rick Santorum endorsed his opponent, Trey Grayson. Sarah Palin, Sen. Jim DeMint, and Bunning endorsed Paul.

Paul met with Mitch McConnell and assured him that he would not critical but would be complimentary towards McConnnell. McConnell stated he would stay out of the primary.

Paul believes the government has taken away too many property rights. He opposes the Supreme Court decision allowing the government to use eminent domain to increase revenues to government.

The authors argue there is nothing in the Constitution to require people to purchase health care or to have education decided by the federal Education Department. They note increased spending on education has not improved students' test scores.

The Federal government has at least 263 organizations spending at least $75 billion annually on terrorism issues. The Homeland Security Department will become the third largest Federal Department behind Defense and Veterans Affairs. 30,000 people monitor phone calls. Yet none of this prevented the Fort Hood shootings or the underwear bomber attempt.

The arms industry is enormous, the authors note the Defense Department is our largest employer with 1.4 million on its payroll.

The authors argue there are similarities between Trotskyism and neo-conservatism in that both seek to export social democracy to other countries through military means.

The wisdom of occupying a country is questioned. It does not stop terrorist groups and it may even encourage terrorism. Islamic ideology has not changed over decades. What has changed is that American military occupation makes us a target.

There are 1,000 American soldiers per al Qaeda fighter. Yet the military is not effective in fighting al Qaeda. The U.S. builds schools and then bribes the Taliban not to blow them up. The Taliban then use this money on arms against the U.S. military.

As President Jefferson did in fighting the Barbary pirates, it might make more sense, according to the authors, to hire contractors to deal with terrorists rather than attempting to fight them with a conventional war.

Rand Paul is worried that government intervention is disrupting the economy. He notes with alarm there are few controls over Federal Reserve Bank actions. He believes more free market systems in health care would lower costs.

The authors note the dollar's value had declined 96% since 1913, when it was backed by gold. It is now backed by borrowing.

Rand Paul seeks to balance the budget, require legislation to be printed with time for members of Congress to read it, and that the Federal Reserve Bank should be audited.
on March 21, 2015
Highly recommended! Having good people like rand paul in office still is the only reason I can keep ANY faith in our political system... Rand paul 2016! GET OUT AND VOTE PEOPLE! Do you really want another clinton/bush? We are in serious trouble folks, lets make this right before its too late! Make YOUR voice heard, YOU can make an impact!
on March 3, 2011
Rand Paul's book was a delightful surprise. I do not understand how he could have put something that good together in such a short time, given the schedule he has been keeping. I thought it might simply skim the surface, but it is full of detailed explanations of the history of his campaign, the bumps in the road during the campaign, the vast assortment of powerful interests aligned against him during the campaign, and the ultimate triumph of ideas whose time has come.

He makes persuasive arguments for the positions he champions, especially in the field of foreign policy and military spending, a topic that is often misunderstood by maybe half of the tea partiers. Hopefully they will give some thought to his convincing arguments, and realize that to be consistent with their calls for cuts and reduced government spending, the military budget must be included.

It is also a good "primer" for those whose understanding of the tea party was shaped by the mainstream media, who generally have no understanding of the tea party at all, and often mischaracterize positions, motives, and "leaders". As the book explains, there are no leaders of the tea party- other than self-proclaimed leaders and media anointed leaders- generally giving leadership status to those who would not represent the majority of tea partiers. It is the embodiment of diversity: a loose group of Americans who are fed up with Washington and the status quo, and want to change the current system- NOW! Since more than 70% of Americans express disapproval of Congress and there is widesread disapproval for successive administrations, that people are finally shaking off their inertia and working together to change the system should be lauded by the media, rather than attacked and misrepresented.

Finally, it is an inspiring story of hope- that one man can take on the Establishment, and win. It should give all the rest of us the courage to follow his lead, and become the change that we want to see.
on August 29, 2013
Rand Paul's endorsement of the tea party principals and his true brief in them is clear. Hopefully, with his and other supporters of the Tea Party Principals our nation can get back to the need for individual responsibilities.
My high rating is for the courage of a Senator to go against the Democrat establishment and his own Republican politicians who have joined the establishment.
I liked the simple message.
I would recommend the book to those who want to understand the Tea Party
on February 23, 2011
This was a fantastic book.

I am a Libertarian turned Ron Paul Republican, and I closely followed Rand's campaign for US Senate. Of course, I had to get this book :)

Rand does a great job outlining Tea Party philosophy, while acknowledging the decentralized and multifaceted nature of this grassroots movement. He squarely points the finger at both political parties and shows both are to blame for our out of control spending and current economic mess. I liked hearing about his life growing up with Ron Paul as his father, and how that has influenced his political philosophy.

This book will help reaffirm people's belief in the case for Liberty & limited Constitutionally-bound government.

Wikipedia defines a manifesto as "a public declaration of principles and intentions". This book is a Tea Party manifesto.