5.0 out of 5 stars The Team Captain's Manual, December 9, 2007
This review is from: The Team Captain's Leadership Manual (Paperback)
In the world of sports, leadership is one of the major keys to success. Team leaders are often the difference between successful and unsuccessful seasons. The Team Captain's Leadership Manual is essential to all coaches and athletes looking to achieve success in sports, school, and life. The Team Captain's Leadership Manual is filled with surveys, assessments, and questionnaires designed to measure if you possess the skills needed to be a leader, and how you can build upon those skills to become a better leader. Different people lead differently, which author Jeff Janssen recognizes in this book, yet he also establishes the several attributes that most good leaders share--commitment, composure, determination, and an ability to inspire those around them.
Every aspect of leadership is covered in this comprehensive manual, which makes it an unbelievable resource for both players wanting to increase their leadership potential and coaches looking to improve the way their players work together as a team. What's also great about the Team Captain's Leadership Manual is that it is backed by those in actual leadership positions, with quotes, examples, and ideas from famous and well-respected coaches and athletes. The Team Captain's Leadership Manual gives an exact step-by-step process on how to lead by example and ways to become a more vocal leader, with an emphasis on encouraging your teammates, building team chemistry, and managing team conflict. I recommend this book for all college and high school athletes, coaches, and athletic departments who want to develop responsible and effective leaders. As an athlete and a team captain I recommend this book to anyone who is looking to improve any aspect of their leadership skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars My leadership guideline!, April 29, 2004
Mona Stevens (Park City, UT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Team Captain's Leadership Manual (Paperback)
I know how important leadership is to the success of any group and yet I didn't have a methodical, clear and consise way of teaching the players/leaders on my team what it takes and what it means to be a leader. I used this book extensively this past year and it is the first time that I felt our team leaders had the information they needed to be effective....and they were! Jeff's book will be used by my program as long as I'm a coach.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for Leadership, June 3, 2004
Michael Lippert "mlippert18" (LEXINGTON, KY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Team Captain's Leadership Manual (Paperback)
This is perhaps one of the most important books I have read as a coach. It was very concise and offered excellent suggestions. It was written to I could relate and the players will be able to relate. I am going to implement this book as a preseason tool to better develop leaders and team chemistry. This book will be very thought provoking and bring alot of things out that normally wouldnt have been thought of.
The step by step process is excellent and really makes alot of sense. Jeff Janssen did a great job with it, I just wish it wasnt so expensive...

5.0 out of 5 stars Leadership Review, December 2, 2008
This review is from: The Team Captain's Leadership Manual (Paperback)
This book is outstanding and I enjoy using the program with the captains in our school. I think this book is beneficial for any coach and for all student athlete leaders as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST manual for coaches to create GREAT CAPTAIN'S!, April 10, 2009
Eric Zilch (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Team Captain's Leadership Manual (Paperback)
A good captain can come naturally, or a good captain can be taught specific strategies to help the captain take control of a team. In this book, Janssen has multiple exercises in which you will complete, and by the end of his 10 week program, I will personally put my word behind Janssen's program, and tell you it is already working!

Jeff Janssen has some exciting and real informative knowledge on the specifics to becoming a great team leader and a great team captain. Throughout this book, you will be asked multiple questions, which in turn will show you what you're doing wrong and what you need to fix if anything. This is the best tool used for any coach trying to create a team leader and team captain. It will lay out the responsibilities and roles a captain must possess in order to achieve success!

I can proudly say I am using Janssen's captain's manual for my upcoming football season. After reading his manual, you will have a sense of how important a team Captain really is to your team's success. I never felt more confident in building team chemistry and leadership than I have after reading this book. It really details the importance of a great team captain, and how you can build a great team captain. A team's success lies mostly on the back of the team captain, which Janssen explains everyone looks up to. Everyone wants to be the captain but not everyone CAN BE the captain.

I would suggest Jeff Janssen's Team Captain Manual to any rookie coach or even experienced coach. Janssen is known around the world for being a great coach and great leader. He is known for winning and making the best out of his players. In this book, if you follow his programs and questionnaires, I will personally guarantee your team better success in the coming season!

-Eric Zilch

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for teaching sports team captains., May 20, 2009
This review is from: The Team Captain's Leadership Manual (Paperback)
Excellent guide to use when training team captains. We use it for our high school swim team captains. We have been using it for 3 years. Inspires good conversation between the captains and the coach. I would recommend this book for all athletes that are going to be or would like to be a team captain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, March 16, 2011
This review is from: The Team Captain's Leadership Manual (Paperback)
I have used this book as a teaching tool for my team captains for the past few years. It is easy to read, readily applicable, and overall as good a leadership manual as you will find for athletes, in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must need for college teams, March 15, 2010
J. Fry (Pullman, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Team Captain's Leadership Manual (Paperback)
I will be pretty brief. I coach D1 college volleyball and have leadership problems with younger girls not stepping up and with everyone not holding each other accountable. I heard about this manual and bought copies for my staff and players and every Thursday we go over each chapter and the answers. I can already see a difference in their mentality. This was a great buy and something that will help instill leadership in your program. It actually teaches the players about what leadership truly is and what you have to do to be a leader. Love it love it love it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Leadership is so rare these days... this book helps cultivate it., March 18, 2013
This review is from: The Team Captain's Leadership Manual (Paperback)
Coaches (myself included) complain regularly about the rarity of a good leader on their teams. I have always tried to give my best players advice on how to lead, when to speak up & what makes a great leader but it was very time consuming. This book is a phenomenal collection of advice and techniques for team leaders. I am excited to use it this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, February 9, 2014
This review is from: The Team Captain's Leadership Manual (Paperback)
The University of Arkansas uses these books and it's author to lecture to their athletes. My daughter found out about them on her recruiting trip so I bought for her before she even gets to Arkansas so she can help her HS team

The Team Captain's Leadership Manual
The Team Captain's Leadership Manual by Jeff Janssen (Paperback - September 1, 2003)
$29.95 $23.87