5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent beginner's textbook and overall reference
(6th Ed.) Although I've played classical piano for a long time, I'm a beginner in this aspect of music. This book provides a fantastic, detailed survey of the entire symphony orchestra for those who don't know an English horn from an oboe; however, it seems like it's one of those handy books you will refer back to for a very long time:
- basic introduction to...
Published on August 19, 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Good basic text, but needs some updating
I have taught Orchestration/Instrumentation three times using this book, and find it has its strengths and weaknesses. The practical information about each instrument--such as ranges, typical scorings, and excerpts--is helpful, and I think Kennan really focuses on what an arranger/orchestrator *needs* to know. I also like some of the accompanying examples/excercises in...
Published on September 25, 2006 by Music Prof. in FL

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!!, April 1, 2011
I was amazed when I received this book on orchestration. It really is helpfull in understanding Instrumentation as well as the orchestra as a whole.

As a fan of short pieces for piano and strings I find that the coverage given to the string section is extreamly helpfull. Notes on double and triple stops is very valuble and extreamly helpfull.

The book is full of exerts from many famous scores, and in my opinion, assist the student working without a teacher in deciding what scores they would like to purchase and study in full.

This is a great introduction to orchestration and instrumentation, and my favorite that I use frequently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 10, 2014
This review is from: The Technique of Orchestration (Hardcover)
This was a great price and is easy to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, no CD, March 14, 2014
The book is great. It's informative and in perfect condition. It didn't come with the CD, though. If you need the CD I wouldn't recommend buying this copy unless you make sure with the seller that they are going to be sending you the CD along with the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gives me what I need, February 27, 2014
A great book for refreshing and reminding, as well as filling in the gaps. As an amature composure, I get stuck on different compositional aspects, whether it's an articulation or an expression, a need for checking an instruments registers, or what have you. This is a good all-around book covering much of the basics.

5.0 out of 5 stars good book expecting, February 23, 2014
This is my first time to buy a orchestration book including CD. I didn't check its content but I expect this will be helpful for my study.

(one day later)
Now I overviewed the book and listened to the sound files...
I see that this book is good as a basic testbook for classical music not for contemporary.
Sound files include variations of "orchestration" such as of instrumental groups, of doublings, of dynamics, and of pitch ranges with same melodies.
Unfortunately....its sound (files) quality is not good. ..too much noise...

I think this will be a good textbook for a beginner and don't expect its sound quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Class textbook option, February 22, 2014
This review is from: The Technique of Orchestration (Hardcover)
Good condition. No markings or tears. The same as newer edition but not as expensive. Highly recommend buying this older edition for class textbook and saving money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful as a Resource Book, November 23, 2013
If you plan on orchestrating/composing something and you are the kind of person that would rather have a resource book that condenses a bunch of ideas down into one book that the internet spreads over thousands of web pages, then this is for you. I certainly recommend this, especially for music ed majors. I found this very helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read., May 18, 2013
I chose this rating because what I've read so far is excellent information. It's really helping me out with composing my music. I've already recommended this book to one of my cousins and I know it'll help him out to.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Orchestration, May 14, 2013
Many popular orchestration books offer rather instrumentation than orchestration. This one doesn't. Every example is made with the same Bach fragment, so you can see and hear the difference. The recordings are dated and far from great in performance. However, as a comparison tool it works fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book!!!, December 24, 2012
Highly recommended text for anyone who plans to enter the field of composition. Very thorough, precise and informative regarding all instrument range and chordal position.

The Technique of Orchestration
The Technique of Orchestration by Kent Kennan (Hardcover - November 13, 1996)
Used & New from: $4.70