5.0 out of 5 stars loved it
The title of this book caught my eye, and I purchased it several days later. I read it in 2 days and wished she'd written 10 more books for me to read! Like talking to a girlfriend I laughed and even surprised myself by crying at the end. It was so uplifting and I just hope she's right! Get this book.
Published on June 25, 2008 by Ave Fairfield

1.0 out of 5 stars Shallow
both the plot and main character's moral compass. Shallow.
I expected the vain, and vapid, Alex to turn a corner somewhere at some point, but all i got was more of the Hills meets Keeping up with the Kardashians. In heaven. which resembles something created by MTV and E, anyway.
Published on January 4, 2010 by Ink

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, June 25, 2008

1.0 out of 5 stars Shallow, January 4, 2010
Ink (Madrid, Spain) - See all my reviews
both the plot and main character's moral compass. Shallow.
If you are helpless over-romantic that loves to shop, gossip and has very little interest anything but themselves- THIS IS FOR YOU!

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG, this is a fabulous read! Love this book!, July 9, 2008
This review is from: The Ten Best Days of My Life (Paperback)
I just finished this book and it was wonderful. Not only does it have a nice sweet story to it, but it also really makes you think about your own life and the contributions that you have made and the people that truly matter to you. It was also very comforting to think about death in the way of the author's perspective. I am passing this book on to one of my closest friends and I would also recommend this as a nice, easy read to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect book for me to read today, July 6, 2008
KTBR (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ten Best Days of My Life (Paperback)
I just finished The Ten Best Days of My Life, by Adena Halpern and I LOVED it (and I'm not just saying that either). It was the perfect book for me to read today. I've been dealing with my friends losing their 3-yr old daughter and also losing my grandpa - too much! This book helped me feel so much better about moving to the next stage in our existence.

Yes, we miss those who pass onto the next life (heaven, in this case). But it was nice to read about everyone in heaven having a great time and that families were together again. None of them wanted any of us left behind to worry about them. They were happy and loving it there.

I also liked how Ms. Halpern explained heaven as being different planes (7th heaven is the best heaven; the 4th plane of heaven is where all the great musicians hang out -- not as perfect there, but great music!).

It was interesting to see that while Alex wrote about her 10 best days she actually learned more about herself and her life than had she not gone through that test. She realized what really was important in life and in death -- good friends and family.

I've been reading some parenting books and this actually touches upon the one theory that I've been reading about lately -- saving your children actually harms them more than it helps them. Everyone must learn to be responsible for their own actions and deal with the consequences themselves. Parents do not help their children by "saving" them from their bad choices. The main character, Alexandra, had to learn that the hard way. She was her parent's "miracle child" and was always treated as a princess. By treating her as such she never learned to behave as a responsible adult until much later in life... and almost too late.

I read this in bed one morning. I couldn't put it down. I laughed, I cried and I kept reading. I loved it. Thank you for writing this for me right now, Ms. Halpern. I really needed it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Fun Read, August 19, 2012
This review is from: The Ten Best Days of My Life (Paperback)
You aren't going to find any deep, pulling at your heart, about to weep parts in this book (like "The Five People You'll Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom), but you will find yourself chuckling with a smile on your face. This story is a fun, fast read. It's not dark and heavy but light and real. Not all people are out to serve others.

Her first best day of her life was the day she was born. That's cool. Second best day is when she met her best friend. How cool is that? I am not going to tell you what the other best days were because I don't like when reviewers reveal the meat of the book. What I will tell you is that you will be surprised.

I highly recommend this book ;-)

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected!, July 17, 2011
I picked this book up on the sale table at Barnes & Noble. While the author has a pretty skewed version of heaven (I don't think sleeping with your dream man the first night you get to heaven is on God's agenda), having Alex look back on her '10 best days' on earth gave the book a deeper level. It made me wonder what 10 days I'd consider my 'best'. The ending was touching. While it might be fantasy, it would be nice to think that we could have all our loved ones reunite in heaven.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it beginning to end!, December 16, 2009
LKW (Tulsa, OK USA) - See all my reviews
This book makes you laugh out loud! Throughout the entire book, you think about your own life and how precious our time on earth is. She lived such a wonderful life, but her heaven is just ten times better! I was envious of this funny gal! I hope heaven is really that splendid!

3.0 out of 5 stars book- ten best days..., January 9, 2009
This review is from: The Ten Best Days of My Life (Paperback)
The book has a clever storyline. The main character is witty and kind of cute, yet she's a bit immature, selfish and self-centered too.(Just like some of us are, but we'd rather not admit it, right?) The book actually has some typos in it, which I've seen before in print, and I can never understand how the books go to the publisher that way.
I rated the book a 3 because it was clever, but I would have liked the book to have more depth due to it's subject matter.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too shabby., September 3, 2008
This review is from: The Ten Best Days of My Life (Paperback)
I finished this book a few days ago and just now remembered something about it that really bugged me. I don't understand why the uncle in "Uncle Morris" is never, ever capitalized, even when it's the first word of a paragraph. Puzzling.

Anyway, I cried near the beginning when I realized that I probably couldn't come up with five best days of my own, let alone ten. For a "chick lit" book, it really got me thinking that I need to make some improvements in my life. I think if a book can be entertaining, funny, and get you thinking, all while getting your mind OFF of things, it must be pretty good, right?

I was expecting quite a different ending, however. I won't give it away here, but I wonder if any of the other reviewers agree?

5.0 out of 5 stars Reinforces your appreciation for the special people in your life!, July 24, 2008
This review is from: The Ten Best Days of My Life (Paperback)
Reading Adena Halpern's new book The Ten Best Days of My Life is like drinking as much champagne as you like - without the dreaded hang over! It tastes delicious and goes down easily.

Written in a breezy conversational style, Ms. Halpern spins a yarn that is both serious and fizzy. Through the main character (Alex) we begin to accept the complexity of our own lives. Neither judged, nor in judgment, Alex, like the reader, stops to examine who and what is meaningful to her in a very profound but humorous way.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Ten Best Days of My Life
The Ten Best Days of My Life by Adena Halpern (Paperback - May 27, 2008)
$14.00 $11.83