The Terminator [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:$9.48 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 14, 2012
Video:
The new transfer looks great. It's sharp and grain is intact. However, it should be noted that the color-timing is not what you'd be used to for this film. It takes a tealish look, especially in certain scenes. The look works for the film, but it's certainly not what we have seen over the years on TV, VHS, DVD, screenshots, etc. It's a whole-new look for the film. Whether or not it was the intended look from the start, or whether James Cameron had a hand in making it look this way has yet to be seen. But over-all it is a superior transfer, and it makes owning this disc worth it.

Sound:
Fairly active and robust surround sound here, but sadly it is the remix sound. The original mono with the original sound effects is missing once again, so expect a few moments of "Wow, the sound effects there were horrid."

Extras:
A couple of featurettes, nothing terribly formidable. Also, the deleted scenes in SD. All of the extras here can be found on the Special Edition DVD, and missing is the hour-long 'Other Voices' documentary and extensive Easter eggs also found on that release. This would have been the perfect time to deliver a feature-packed Blu-ray with all-new features, but alas...MGM/Fox has decided to cheap out this time. Maybe we'll get a 30th Anniversary Edition in 2014.
2929 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 20, 2013
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
I'm quite content with the newly remastered The Terminator (Remastered) [Blu-ray]. Right away I noticed the superior quality in regards to the picture & audio. Fine detail in closeups is very apparent, yet, the film grain is intact. I definitely recommend this new edition compared to the sub-par original T1 blu-ray release from a few years ago.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 12, 2013
Format: Blu-ray
First of all, casual viewers are going to just have to ignore the negs here. That is about all you can do. This is the highest video quality you are going to see on bluray. A 36Mbps transfer of an older grainy film and damn does it look wonderful. The AWFUL red push of the old releases is gone and THANK THE HEAVENS. This film looks unbelievable and I am NOT easy to please when it comes to details and bitrates. Most blurays these days cannot seem to get past 25Mbps, many are much less, and it shows with fluctuating quality throughout the film. Not this one.

They slightly changed the color timing to reflect a modern and SLIGHTLY cooler tone. Some people cannot seem to deal with the fact we are no longer in the 80s and no director worth their salt wants that pinkish/reddish look, that was quite common in that time, to their films now that they have a choice. Blade Runner did the same and The Final Cut looks better than it ever did, though, that release has less than HALF the bitrate of this release. Anyway, the timing does wonders for this film IMO. I have never seen this so detailed in all my life. I really think the new timing gives it a more timeless look and will be appreciated by most people. In no way will it hardly even be noticed for the vast majority. Skintones remain natural and whites are still nice and bright.

As for the sound, it is also the most balanced and proper it has sounded in a long time. There are these few diehard weirdos who cannot seem to deal with the fact that most people don't like mono and don't want to listen to mono in film when there are effects taking place all over the soundstage that take advantage of more than one speaker. Cameron never meant for there to be a Mono track it is just that the producers would not let him have his 4 track stereo because they were cheap bastards. He even came in under budget ffs. Mono also has many other deficiencies compared to stereo with depth of the various instruments and sounds and the overall balance of the mix. You can read about that somewhere else.

I do agree they should have at least included it but quite honestly I would not be using it anyway. They seem to have improved the stereo and multi-channel tracks. To my ears the gun sounds are fine and sound pretty damn good for an 80s film. They redid some of the effects with T2 ones to my knowledge a while back. This presentation seems more balanced than any other releases to my ears.

For the people that are boycotting this release let them. This isn't some travesty like the original Patton release or the Predator: Ultimate Edition release which were DNR'd to within an inch of their life and looked like wax on screen. To the contrary, this is one of the best looking blurays on the market. The old Terminator release is a joke compared to this.

Nothing to be afraid of with this one. They did just about everything right except include the old mono track. And no one but a few really care because it ain't that great to begin with. 5 stars for a great remaster and at 10 bucks at Walmart, and around that on Amazon, you really cannot go wrong. Extras are the same as the past versions to my knowledge. Peace.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 22, 2013
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
I own the movie in 3 formats, vhs, dvd and now the remaster. Best i have seen. I really felt like it was the first time i saw it.
on December 23, 2012
Format: Blu-ray
I knew that "The Terminator" would be re-issued, and with a better remastering effort. I knew this because the last known re-issue of "The Terminator" on DVD had many extras. Like additional documentaries and the making of the film, etc.... The first issued Blu-Ray of the film actually looked no better than the first issued DVD (it appears to be the same unimproved source copy) but however, it also excluded all that extra material that the last known DVD version had so you will be more anxious to buy the film again, later, that will include all those already existing extras.

I believe this was their plan to double dip the consumer to resell this movie again, on Blu-Ray.

You gotta ask yourself. "How many times have I bought this same movie over the years, with the promise of it being somewhat more improved?" (your purchases of the past included VHS in several re-issues, Beta, Laserdisc, DVD again in several re-issues, BD, etc.) The Blu-Ray has been issued twice already, and now, here comes the third re-issue on Blu-Ray.

It's ridiculous how they do this to us. They give as little as they can on the first release, and then they improve on it just a little more, with a hope to re-sell it again. And then again.

You watch, three to five years from now, you will probably be buying "The Terminator" yet again, because they will again do something more for it to make your current copy inferior to it. They will always add a little something more to a re-issue to make you want to buy it again. Even things that they already have on film, that they will just wait to add to a future re-issue.
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 24, 2013
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
I don't normally buy a BluRay to replace a BluRay of the same movie, but this time I made an exception. And, man am I happy I did.

This review is on the Remastered 2013 vs the original 2006 BluRay:

I never complained about the old version because it was so much better than the DVD and, being a 20yo, low budget movie, I didn't think it could get much better. Well, it does. I just finished watching the Remastered version, followed by the old one; I can see major flaws after viewing the newer release. The 2006 copy is softer, flatter, has plenty of flecks of dirt throughout, and highlights tend to be blown out. All of this has finally been fixed.

The sound is pretty much the same, which is clear and active, but with some of the surround elements a bit louder than I think fits. I spent a lot of time turning up the sound when normal talking occurred, and turning it back down when the chase scenes or flashbacks happen as the switches make my wife jump. Neither movie has a mono track included. I don't mind, but some have complained.

Bonus features are exactly the same (and in SD), so don't expect anything new.The one change I didn't like was that now there's no main menu screen. The movie starts immediately and you have to use the pop-up menu to bring up choices (the older version went to a menu screen first). This is OK for the most part, but when playing features, it goes right back to the movie as soon as that bonus feature is done playing. It's not a deal breaker, but it does bother me.

Personal opinion: If you have an average TV & the old BluRay, this is probably not worth an upgrade, as you may not see much of a difference. If you have a high quality big screen, you might want to get it because you should see a big improvement in clarity. Both are better than the DVD, but the new one is head and shoulders above it. Don't upgrade for sound as the 2006 release sounds great & the 2013 isn't any different.

Hope this review helps.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon November 27, 2014
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
This review is really meant for those people wondering if they should upgrade their DVD version to the Blu Ray version.
For this title, it is a big YES.
I haven't seen the original Terminator in years, but I was blown away by the transfer of this movie.
Absolutely stunning, with details down to the whisker level.
Great deal if you are on the fence.
on November 3, 2013
Format: Blu-ray
It goes without saying James Cameron's 1984 Terminator is one of the most iconic sci-fi thrillers ever made (even selected by the Library of Congress for preservation!), and this masterpiece has been hurting for a decent Blu-ray release for quite some time now! Now I'm not going to go into the details of this movie, as countless other reviewers already have done so. Instead my review is going to focus on the quality of this new release. I, like many of you out there have held out from buying this on Blu-ray after hearing about how the other releases didn't do this movie justice, that's finally been remedied with this 2013 release! As other viewers have already stated the biggest difference with this release is the new color timing given to the film. No longer does the movie have that infamous "red push", instead the film has been given a cooler more natural color timing, which makes the movie look even more timeless. If you look at pictures of the old color timing of this movie, and the one from this release, it is a definite improvement. As for the sharpness and clarity of the picture, I have to say Terminator has never looked better! In previous releases (including the special edition DVD release years ago) some details appeared fuzzy and hard to make out, not with this release! You can make out very fine details with crystal clarity, such as the Police ID badges Paul Winfield and Lance Henriksen's characters wear in the movie. This release has the 5.1 Dolby stereo mix which was done for the special edition DVD (done by Skywalker sound and supervised by James Cameron, who always wanted this film to have a stereo mix, but Orion pictures said no and gave the movie a cheaper mono sound mix). There's a lot of mixed feelings out there about this, as a die-hard fan of the franchise who grew up watching the first two films, hearing the stereo remix for the first time felt really weird to me, but after a while the 5.1 mix grew on me. There are directional sound effects, which are very apparent during the gun fight scenes. While the sound effects now sound crisp and modern, the music has unfortunately suffered in this 5.1 mix, as Brad Fidel's iconic score for this movie was reproduced by Skywalker sound (instead of having him re-record the soundtrack himself in stereo), and there is indeed a lack of verisimilitude to his original score done for the original mono release. In my opinion this movie would benefit greatly from a new 5.1 mix with the soundtrack done right! Hopefully next time they can get Brad himself to re-record the soundtrack in stereo! I do agree with other reviewers they should have included the original mono soundtrack with this release, but it's not that big of a deal for me (it might be for some fans out there however). A small nitpick I do have with this release is the lack of a dedicated menu. This movie has what's known as a "pop up" menu, which is a simple menu selection screen that "pops" during the movie when you push the up arrow key on your remote. For a movie as iconic as The Terminator, you'd think they could have designed a snazzy menu screen for this release. Overall though it's the playback of the movie that counts the most right? And with the newly remastered picture I give this movie and this 2013 Blu-ray release 5 stars! Of all the releases of this movie to date, this is the one to own.
on August 10, 2013
Format: Blu-ray
If you read my original review of THE TERMINATOR on blu-ray, you remember that I made one thing clear. The 5-Star Review of the film was for the movie, NOT the blu-ray version. I complained that the picture and sound quality of that blu-ray edition were no better than my DVD Special Edition. I focused my review on the movie, itself and stated that the film was in need for a SERIOUS remastering job.

I know I'm not the only one who complained of that Blu-Ray edition, and those complaints have been answered!!! This new edition on Blu-Ray is a MAJOR improvement, both in picture and sound. It looks so much better now. And the new DTS 5.1 sound is an even bigger improvement.

If you haven't read my original review of THE TERMINATOR on Blu-Ray and want to know why I loved that movie so much, it's still here on Amazon.com. Just look up all the reviews that I have written.

I wouldn't be too surprised if in 2014 a 30th Anniversary Edition is released. If they do, I have a wish-list of bonuses on blu-ray: A new commentary by James Cameron and Arnold Schwarzenegger, a 30th Anniversary reunion of the cast and crew, and a tribute to Stan Winston, who did truly amazing work on the film.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 20, 2013
Format: Blu-ray
The remastered version of this film was amazing! I thought that they did a great job at the transferring, leaving a remarkably vivid movie with rich detail and imagery. I thought tat the color contrast in this was remarkable as well as I have a DVD of this movie and this new Blu-Ray completely blows this out of the water. The sound quality was superior and I love cranking it in my surround sound system as it really makes the experience complete. I did not own the first blu-ray release of this, but from what I have heard the quality of this second release is far superior. All-in-all for any Terminator fan, this is definitely a must have for your home movie collection!

* I received a copy of this for an honest review, but this did not effect what was written above*