5.0 out of 5 stars Great Preparation for Test Taking, July 4, 2012
This review is from: The Test Slayer's Handbook: "Unleash Your Inner Genius" (Volume 1) (Paperback)
"The Test Slayers Handbook: How to Unleash Your Inner Genius" is a truly handy guide for anyone who is in the position where they must take a standardized test. I found the suggestions very logical and presented by an author who obviously has a strong background in both utilizing and teaching the test-taking techniques that he recommends.

The prescription that the author offers is effective, but it also takes active participation on the part of the test taker. It may seem like a dry topic, but the author's writing style, and his effective use of examples and humor makes for a surprisingly pleasant learning experience.

Two parts of the book really stood out to me.

First, in the section entitled "How our mind files and stores new information," he uses the Vehicle Information Number (VIN) to illustrate how our minds can learn easier and remember more information if we the complete the picture in our minds. For example, once we know that the first number of the VIN tells in which county our car was made, and the 10th number is the date of production, etc., our minds see the bigger picture and are more likely to remember this information.

Second, I found the "Unleash Your Inner Genius" section to be an unexpected gem. This deeper analysis of learning and knowledge, and the idea of tapping into the seemingly bottomless reservoir of amazing intelligence of the "subconscious" mind, reminded me of the writings of Carl Jung and Ralph Waldo Emerson.

I read this book with my son in mind. He is scheduled to take his SAT test in the fall, and he already has the traditional SAT review books (Princeton Review, etc.), complete with practice test questions. However, I think that "The Test Slayers Handbook" will give him a unique boost so that he will be able walk into the testing center with supreme confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Useful Resource, July 9, 2012

Two parts of the book really stood out to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Review From a Highly Qualified Reader, February 4, 2013
Brian Menard's The Test Slayer's Handbook is top notch and worth your time and investment.

Let me begin by saying that I am an assistant principal at one of America's best high schools (duPont Manual High School in Louisville, KY), as measured by US News and World Reports and Newsweek Magazine. Our school's student population is comprised of approximately 10% National Merit Semifinalists - a designation less than 1% of US high school students attain. I have worked with high achieving students with very high college aspirations for years; we send students to Ivy League colleges on a regular basis.

Obviously, for such high achieving students, standardized tests are of utmost importance - as their scores on the ACT and the SAT serve to not only separate them from their peers and gain admission to prestigious universities, but also allow them to win scholarships. Additionally, such students place an incredible weight upon their scores on Advanced Placement exams (administered by the college board) - as these scores not only have the potential to earn these students college credit, but also serve notice to colleges regarding the academic aptitude of the test takers. Finally, these students are also highly concerned with their GPA from their high school coursework - because GPA (for Advanced Placement courses, Advanced Program courses, and Honors course, respectively) helps students gain admission to universities and win scholarships as well.

What makes me such a fan of Menard's work is the way he teaches test takers to tap into the incredible power of the subconscious mind. Researchers have long known that we store every single experience and piece of information to which we are exposed during our lifetime. While that may sound outlandish, due to the fact that we don't usually have access to all that information via our conscious mind, researchers have determined that this is due merely to problems with our recall. Only our limited recall prevents us from accessing all that information with our conscious mind.

These facts, of course, present test takers with tremendous potential and are incredibly important. Accessing, honing, training, and utilizing our subconscious mind is not rocket science. It merely takes investment and effort on our part. And what better motivation to invest the time could someone have then being faced with a high-stakes standardized test? Or any other test, for that matter?

Menard explains, in accessible fashion, how test takers can benefit from the immense power of their subconscious minds. This relatively brief book is a "must-read" for anyone faced with an important test or exam. In fact, I believe it is a "must-read" for a student of any age. Read it and you will learn exactly how to become a "test slayer".

I have given copies of this book to my own sons. I have two currently in high school, another in middle school, and a fourth in elementary school. My only regret is that I didn't have this book to read when I was their age! In addition, I am recommending this book strongly to the students of our high school via our website; it is my hope that as many students (both this year and in the years to come) read The Test Slayer's Handbook, for they will benefit and our high school will bask in the glory of their even higher scores on the ACT and SAT tests.

If you are a student or are facing a test for any purpose, do yourself a favor and plunk down a few bucks for this vital book today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had this 2 Years Ago, May 22, 2013
I grew up an unofficial Test Slayer. Life happened. 30 years of not taking tests took a toll on my confidence, and the pathways that easy test taking use. After a career transition, I entered grad school and found I had forgotten how to study AND how to take exams. I made it much harder on myself than it needed to be. The steps given here are concise and clear. When I return to school in the fall, it will be a very different experience... Thanks in part to what I learned in this book. I highly recommend The Test Slayer's Handbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for developing good study habits., May 25, 2013
Should help those that need their study habits refined. Read this just to improve my retention of what I read daily. PLEASED.!

5.0 out of 5 stars Test Slayer, August 21, 2013
Awesome book, cool concepts, a must read! Lays a solid foundation for breaking bad habits, forming good reading habits, examining progression, and reaching new levels of speed, comprehension, and success.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Battle Plan, December 16, 2012
The title 'The Test Slayer's Handbook', as well as the subtitle 'Unleash Your Inner genius' highlight the tone of the book: it is a battle plan! Written with a dynamic, even aggressive approach to tackling the difficulties we face studying for exams, the book offers detailed advice, which is based on the strategies developed over a lifetime of learning and practice by Brian V. Menard.

The chapters focus on a variety of issues, from building up an attitude of confidence, offering tips to increase reading speed, sifting through the text to glean the important information and discard the unimportant details, even analyzing how our mind files and stores new information.

Towards the conclusion of the book, Menard discusses something that all of us have experienced: the sense of being overwhelmed by large quantities of new knowledge. In his direct conversational style he asks, "Have you ever been so overwhelmed when studying a subject that you said, ENOUGH! I don't think my brain can hold anymore! If so, you are not alone..." I will not elaborate on his battle plan, more than to say this: five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book To Be Treasured, September 26, 2014
I'm glad I read this short and easy book on passing tests. I've just taken the test to renew my driver's license and it helped me pass with flying colors. My test wasn't as complex as a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer's test, but it is vital nonetheless, to where your life and the life of others depend on it.

The Test Slayer's Handbook is filled with useful information, handy tools, and quick short cuts to passing tests. Mr. Menard's experience comes from numerous tests he has taken as a challenge. With twenty years experience in teaching students how to "slay" a test, and who have passed their tests on the first try, this handbook offers many useful tools in concise explanations and in a clear voice.

The first information you learn is that any test can be conquered if you put your mind to it. How to believe that "People are smarter than they believe."

The next tool you get is boosting your confidence by "challenging yourself through increasingly difficult levels of testing."

Another useful information is how to increase reading speed and comprehension by not rereading the same sentences over and over. Time management is of the utmost importance, and the challenge to pace yourself during testing. The author gives a simple and handy tool on how to do it.

My favorite chapter is the one that helps you spot the question and the answer in the first two sentences in a paragraph. You learn to "glean important information and to disregard the fluff." Most important is to condense vital information from an average book length into five to ten pages of notes.

This is a useful and valuable handbook to "slay" any test that comes your way.

5.0 out of 5 stars HOME RUN, SOLID TO THE CORE, A REAL GAME CHANGER, BRAVO ,PURE GENIUS A MUST READ FOR ALL AGES!!!, March 12, 2014
brain V. Menard's The Test Slayer's Handbook is the last word on test taking.Whether its your five year old taking their first spelling test or an engineer getting an important job certification. The Test Slayer teaches you in an easy-going non-threatening way to pass any test.The author takes you through the process step by step. I liked this book because Brian talked to me, not at me and was not afraid to share his failures as well as his successes; not to brag but so the reader can too be an accompanist Test Slayer. With this book you will also be able to Unleash your inner Genius. Whether you are a student or a parent of of a student or getting ready to take any important test or examination this book has your name all over it.
over the years I have had to take a number of state, federal and private exams, real estate tests and broker qualification tests. If I had this tool then, I know that my level of distress and anxiety before, during and after these tests would not have been nearly as high and I would have been much more prepared.
The author walks you through step by step in an easy to understand process to allow you to dissect any test or exam. I found The Test Slayer's hand book easy to read and understand. I get the distinct feeling that any one who reads this book would be able to unleash their inner Genius the very first time. Brian V. Menard draws on a life time of experience of taking difficult exam taking with Bill Gates' name on the certs to prove it. If I could give this book 6- stars, i most certainly would.

Danny Jones author, writer speaker stroke ambassador for the American heart/stroke ASSN.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, October 8, 2014
This book definitely had it all when it came to advice on testing. I learned from this book that I concentrated more on the 'fluff', than the actual exams. I loved the inspiring quotes that came throughout the book.

The Test Slayer's Handbook: "Unleash Your Inner Genius" (Volume 1)
The Test Slayer's Handbook: "Unleash Your Inner Genius" (Volume 1) by Brian V. Menard (Paperback - June 16, 2012)
$9.95