4.0 out of 5 stars A frustrating yet fun experience
Before writing this review, I'd like to note that I did not purchase the previous Sherlock Holmes Vs Jack the ripper game, therefore, I can't compare the two. With that said, here's my review-

Graphics-

Published 19 months ago by pennywyze

3.0 out of 5 stars You see but you do not observe.
Add a star if you like slow, methodical mysteries with little action.

Published 24 months ago by Mr. Charles J. Lore

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars You see but you do not observe., September 26, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Add a star if you like slow, methodical mysteries with little action.

I love a good mystery game, but I hate point-and-click games, so there's not much out there for me. In the past few years, the best mystery games I can cite as meeting my sort of parameters I can cite are Heavy Rain and LA Noire. So I was excited when I found out that a new Sherlock Holmes video game was coming out.

Wee bit of background: I had not played the Sherlock Holmes / Jack the Ripper game that came out a few years ago (frankly, I didn't even know it existed), nor did I play any of the strictly PC Holmes games, so I can't provide any basis of comparison there. The last Holmes game I played were the two FMV games that came out for the Turbografix and Sega CD way back around 1990.

In The Testament of Sherlock Holmes (TToSH), you basically have an overarching mystery in which Holmes appears to have been set up for the theft of a necklace after having solved the mystery of where the necklace was. As the evidence mounts against him, even Watson doubts Holmes' innocence. During this time, you have the opportunity to play both Holmes and Watson, as the perspective switches between the two characters. In addition, there are several smaller mysteries that you must solve, such as the murder of a bishop.

So far I dig TToSH - but I also get that it won't be for most players. On the one hand, I love the whole process of picking up clues and trying to put them together till you reach a conclusion. There is a really fantastic and unique system called the deduction board in which you see all of the facts listed in Holmes' notepad and then link those facts in order to reach a particular conclusion. I liked that a lot, as finally I feel like I am actively involved in solving a mystery and not merely pointing a character in a direction or clicking a mouse on disparate items (although there is some of that as well).

There are some problems with the game though. I'd say the biggest problem is that you can't really proceed from clue-finding mode until you pick up all of the clues - which is stupid because sometimes the only clue you've missed is irrelevant. So, for instance, when I was in the bishop's chambers at the scene of his murder, the one fact I missed was that the steamer was full of water, which really didn't add any relevance to the other clues. One thing I liked about LA Noire was how you could miss some clues, and the game could proceed without them, even if it meant you ended up not solving the mystery properly. And other issue is the puzzles, which are occasionally tricky, and not in a way that is always intentional. It's one thing to not be able to solve a puzzle because the puzzle itself is hard; it's another thing to not be able to solve it because you're not sure what the game is expecting you to do. With TToSH, it's fairly easy to hit a brick wall if the player is not particularly clever.

I would also note that the description of the game in many sources, such as IGN, Wikipedia, Gamespot, etc., refers to the game as an "open world adventure". It's not. There is no sandbox. You are given a map with various disparate locations that you can visit. You don't get to explore Victorian London. I'm frankly quite a bit disappointed by that since I was excited by the notion of getting to just stroll around the city. I haven't finished the game yet, but I'm four hours into it and there has been little or no exploration so far.

Bottom line: As a Holmes fan, I love this game. I love the mysteries, I love the detail. No, the graphics are not up to par, and the stiff character faces require some getting used to, and the game could stand to be a bit more atmospheric in terms of shading and music. But it's great having a Victorian era mystery again, as I haven't played a good one since Dracula Unleashed back in the early 90's.

If you require frequent action, then this game really isn't for you. If you don't mind a slow, measured pace, then you could like this a lot, as I do.

4.0 out of 5 stars A frustrating yet fun experience, February 22, 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars

Graphics-

While I actually like this game a lot; the graphics are not good at all. The graphics aren't even average to be honest, but there are some parts of the game that look a lot better than the majority of the game.
The in game characters look fine as far as the main characters are concerned, but then there are characters that either look identical to another in a different outfit, or, the lesser know characters just don't look good at all. Most of the backgrounds aren't much to yelp about either, and although they're not bad looking, there are certain aspects about the backgrounds that ruin the experience for me. Namely and for example, sometimes grass or plants look too green and at times there's a good amount of screen tearing or graphical bugs.

Speaking of bugs, one of the worst graphical bugs would be getting stuck in front of an open door which happened to me at least 6-8 times. Other bugs included Watson blocking my path one too many times.
Some of the backgrounds looked good such as the Cemetery in Whitechapel or the cobblestone path of the Whitechapel district and of course, Sherlock Holmes office which has a fine amount of detail. I often wondered why the rest of the game didn't look like this. The graphics had potential, but I feel it wasn't given enough of anything to make it more than a below average looking game for the 360.

Sound-

I love the sound of this game. The background music is suitable for games like this, but the voice acting is excellent. At times, the dialogue can be funny with Sherlock and Watson wisecracking one another, but if there was one thing that got on my nerves in this game would be the sound of the footsteps. The footstep sound effects are loud, and I mean extremely loud. Luckily, you can turn down the sound effects.

Gameplay-

Here's where the review becomes a mixed review. I like this game, however, I don't particularly care for most of the puzzle elements.
The Testament of Sherlock is somewhat like L.A Noire, except without fighting or gunplay. Instead, you progress the game based on pure wit. The small number of action sequences are few and far between if any to be honest. With that said, the game is very engaging and easily sucks up a few hours per play.
Sherlock has the ability to use all detective abilities including the help of his partner Watson and his dog, Toby. I have to admit that it felt fun to actually wonder where or who the villain was and every time I got close to figuring out who the killer was or what situation I'd analyze, the trail went cold or the villain was that much craftier.
The best part about this game would be the fact that you weren't given the L.A Noire style interrogation by questioning. L.A noire seemed never to have a good answer or a useful answer, with this game, it's a much different ball game.

This is what I liked about the game. Now, onto my gripes-

With so much mystery and puzzles packed in this game, I'd have to say that the puzzles or clue gathering could be very frustrating most of the time. Not because it isn't supposed to be hard, but because something is hidden somewhere right under your nose and you've little to no clue about how to find it or what to do next.
The puzzles themselves are very hard at times. But luckily, the game gives you an option to skip puzzles based on how close you are to completing them or how long you're puzzled. (No pun intended) I caught myself often saying "WTF, I already looked there/WTF, I already tried that and it didn't work but now it does...really?".
Then, there's Sherlock Holmes Deduction pad in which you'll have to piece together facts in order to conclude this or that...these parts were easily some of the most frustrating parts of the entire game and I didn't care for them at all. Often, I found that solving these parts seemed as if I solved them prior or at least something eerily similar.

With all that said, this game is pretty good. Unfortunately, in this day and age there are so few of these game types.
This is also a pretty long game. Solving anything takes a good chunk of time. This is not a short game.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, wish gameplay was better., October 29, 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Really could have been awesome, like LA Noire. However, you must solve each case exactly the way the game wants, there is a use for each and every item in the game, there is no free roam, you spend a lot of time walking around trying to look at everything to find what you missed. In short, you end up trying to make the game happy. Plus there is a glitch that prevents you from walking through doors or walking away for about five seconds after they open. There are a lot of doors, so this adds up to like ten minutes waiting at open doors spinning in circles. Should have been way cooler.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mechanically Difficult, December 23, 2012
This review is from: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
The characters, story line, settings and artwork are all very well done. But navigating the characters around the crime scenes and obtaining the active item indicator are a pain. They are very awkward.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, December 20, 2012
This review is from: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
My son and I had a good time playing this game. The movement of the characters is a little strange at times but it has a good plot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, it's a good game but just too short., January 30, 2013
This review is from: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
The puzzles are interesting, few of them are fair easy, but few of them are pretty hard; some things are hidden in a spot that need you to spend some times to figure out.
Graphic is good in this gene of games, but it's graphic can not compare to the top, like Gear of War, Assassin's Creed or Bioshock.
Slow character movement is another thing need to be improved, I need some time to get used to it.
Overall, I pretty much enjoyed this game, I spend around 8-9 hours to finish and it's just too short, IMO.
Anyway, if you like this genus of game like me, some puzzles are pretty challenging and interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Puzzle Heavy Game; Good Representation of Holmes and Watson, August 11, 2014
This review is from: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
The Testament of Sherlock Holmes is a wonderful game; it has everything I look for: it is challenging, has action, plot, a wonderful story, and fantastic voice acting. I got this game for $15, and it was worth it for the acting and animation alone. This game's story is intriguing, and unlike other formats I've seen when it comes to Holmes. The reason it has four stars is because of the puzzles -- the game is dependent on them. It has the easy skip option, once you've been doing it for a few minutes, but there is also a handy website that offers a walkthrough of the whole game. Frogware Studios, the production company, farms it out to another website because even some of their production team has a hard time getting through the puzzles in their game. While this makes for a great anecdote, anyone who isn't a great problem solver may get frustrated by the numerous challenges in this game -- some of which are terribly easy, and some of which are just plain difficult. If you love video games, and you love Sherlock Holmes, it's a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT GIFT!, November 24, 2012
This review is from: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
My 14 year old grandson is hard to buy for now....but he loved this one! He plays all the time!

4.0 out of 5 stars Old School Adventure Gaming, March 1, 2014
This review is from: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
This reminds me of games I used to play on PC and original Xbox. Granted, it's not a game that'll blow you away, but I did find it to be an entertaining and competently done adventure game. I found that both the story and puzzles kept me entertained throughout. While this game is a much slower pace than the majority of games these days, I find that it's nice to think every once in a while when you're playing a game.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reminds me of Siberia game on Xbox, very much., July 9, 2014
This review is from: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Another one of those games that requires walkthrough assistance! I'm pretty smart and this game foiled me with vagueness, as to which logic and measures to use. With walkthrough assistance, not too bad.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›